She-Geeks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Great Fantasy for Females

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by E.D.E. (new)

E.D.E. Bell (edebell) Curious what the group thinks about really strong fantasy books for females. Not just a good female character, but a book written across the board with interesting females, not necessarily following the stereotype of either weak or over-the-top warrior gals.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) fantasy is so wide, it really depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I'm not too fond of paranormal and urban fantasy, and got kinda tired of epic fantasy too. I'm charcter-oriented, and I don't think someone needs to save the word from great evil to be a hero(ine) - sometimes the worst battles are against ourselves or our closest friends! :)
But then, I'm an adult who likes reading adult stories (no coming of age, thank you)... I created my Amazons in 1985 and every man reading my Amazon stories asks me why I hate men so much! ;) I just like the idea of turning things upside down (like: in the real world there's violence on women? I'd write about violence on MEN!)... and I'm afraid my male part is very strong, I hate those weak heroines! :D
Anyhow, getting rid of stereotypes is not easy... sigh!

message 3: by M. (new)

M. Keep (jmkeep) | 3 comments I really love Elaine Cunningham and Lisa Smedmen for the female characters in their drow books. They're varied and it doesn't feel 'hamfisted' at all. The women are strong and weak. They're real, and to me, that's what's important. They're flawed and interesting characters with fantastic back stories and personalities.

I think that's always going to be the most important thing for me. Not 'strong' characters but... strongly written characters.

message 4: by E.D.E. (new)

E.D.E. Bell (edebell) Cool, I haven't read either author - I will check them out. Thanks!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.