For the love of Horror discussion

Novels > First person or third person point of veiw

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Francis (emilylarson) | 596 comments Mod
Do you like the narrative be done in first person or third person? If you like to write your own stories which one do you like to use?

And what about characters point of view? Do you only like when the book is from one characters point of view or by different characters?

I personally like both depending on the type of book. Say the book is about a character going through a horrible phase in life. The reader might be able to connect better from a first person over a third person. But I tend to go after the third person point of view more and I love when books hop around to different characters in the story. It makes you, the reader, know how each person is seeing everything play out.

So what about everyone else? What do you like?

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Stephenson | 66 comments For me, I prefer a third person point of view because it is far easier for me to both read and write. With third person, you can see what everyone is thinking and feeling right in that moment. But with the first person, as a reader you have to backtrack to a particular event to see what that person was talking about. However, I will say, Katharine, that I have in the past enjoyed first person stories both in books and film/TV IF it was surrounding one event or just one person. For instance, I used to love that show Boomtown (I think that's what it was) that showed the point of view of multiple characters around one crime. And I did enjoy the Hunger Games, thought I thought that some of her thoughts disfigured the gravity of the situation.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 5 comments Hmm, good question! I think it depends on the story. Third person is good, since the story can be told from a close third person, making it feel like a first person. Or, the story can have distance from the character and have the ability to see other characters thoughts, which first person can't do unless it shifts from character to character.
First person is good too because it gives the reader a closer connection to the character and story.
When I write, I try to dabble with all views. I find second person the most challenging.

message 4: by Trever (new)

Trever | 27 comments A while back, I tried listening to an audiobook that sounded really promising (It was SF, as I recall) which was written in second person, and I found it so distracting I had to put the book aside. And I very rarely do that, unless a book is truly awful, but in this case I found the use of second person SO annoying and attention-grabbing that it completely yanked me out of the narrative and ruined the book for me. It was one of those cases where I can appreciate the author being experimental with format, but it came at the expense of story, sadly.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 5 comments I totally agree with your opinion, second person is distracting.
I read one book where one character was depicted in second person, while the rest were third (very odd). It was tough to get through, to say the least.
There's a reason why writers don't use second person as often.

message 6: by Katharine (new)

Sandra wrote: "Hmm, good question! I think it depends on the story. Third person is good, since the story can be told from a close third person, making it feel like a first person. Or, the story can have distance..."

I don't know if you write or not but for me I find writing in the first person point of view is hard because what if you're writing about that character doing something horrible. haha I tried with one story and it hard to become that character that rapes someone or kills off a whole family. So with third person it's better for me.

message 7: by Katharine (new)

Trever wrote: "A while back, I tried listening to an audiobook that sounded really promising (It was SF, as I recall) which was written in second person, and I found it so distracting I had to put the book aside...."

I don't think I've ever read a book from the second point of view before.

message 8: by Trever (new)

Trever | 27 comments I don't think I've ever read a book from the second point of view before.

You are reading this forum, and You are thinking to yourself, "Have I ever read a book in second person before?" But then you decide that you probably haven't because it would have distracted the heck out of you, and you grab a slice of pizza instead.

^ It was exactly like that. For me, it was a writing style that pretty much ruined the book, however good it might have been otherwise.

message 9: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Watts | 86 comments Sandra wrote: "Hmm, good question! I think it depends on the story. Third person is good, since the story can be told from a close third person, making it feel like a first person. Or, the story can have distance..."

I'm with Sandra on this. I write in both third person and first person - it's the story that dictates which POV I use. My novel is written in first person, because that makes sense given the nature of the book, but a lot of my short stories are third person.

message 10: by Katharine (new)

Trever wrote: "I don't think I've ever read a book from the second point of view before.

You are reading this forum, and You are thinking to yourself, "Have I ever read a book in second person before?" But then..."

I can't now see how that would get annoying to read and really confusing.

message 11: by Katharine (new)

J.S. wrote: "Sandra wrote: "Hmm, good question! I think it depends on the story. Third person is good, since the story can be told from a close third person, making it feel like a first person. Or, the story ca..."

Yeah I can under stand if it's all about that one character and what they're going through. It will help the read understand exactly how they feel if it's written in first person. A great example if the book Speak. It really makes you feel how she's feeling. I had to read the book in high school for a project and it's a pretty good book. It's not a horror book but bad things have happened to her.
Speak

message 12: by Katharine (new)

This is for everyone. What do you all think about a book going from first to third? I'm been working on a book and recently just thought about doing this. Basically there are only two people in the book. The main guy Simon kidnaps a woman named Stella. I want it to be from his point of view, first person, for his part but from third persons point of view from Stella.

I originally didn't have it like that but the more I think about it the more I kind of want to make the reader feel closer to him and look at Stella like the outsider.