For the love of Horror discussion

17 views
Novels > What kind of plot do you always look for in a book?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Francis (emilylarson) | 596 comments Mod
For example. I'm always drawn to books/movies that involve a group of friends or a group of people thrown into a situation. You know that it's either going to be one of three things. 1) really funny and entertaining 2) ends badly and involves everyone dying except for like one or two 3) they ban together help each other overcome some kind of problem.

I've come to nick name these kind of books as "friend" books and will give them a read just for that.

So what about all of you guys? What kind of plot do you tend to go for?


message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Stephenson | 66 comments Hey, Katharine. Yeah, my book that I recommended to you is sort of a "friend" book. Anyways, for me, I just love good story. I don't think I ever really go for a specific kind of plot nor do I write a specific kind of plot. For instance, my book The Provocateur (and I know this is terrible to admit but...) doesn't actually have a plot. But at the same time, George Orwell's 1984 didn't really have a plot to me either. I mean, was he really fighting against the government?

I think that's why I just enjoy all different kinds of story so much and why my books and taste cross genre so often. One of my books goes from a hard emotionally deep drama to an erotica to a suspense. I kind of like it that way too. Sometimes I like books about just one person against the odds as in Stephen King's Misery and sometimes I like a huge "friend" group thing such as in his book The Stand or Tim LaHayes and Jerry Jenkins' Left Behind series. So, they all appeal to me as long as I can get into the characters and their circumstances and OH MY GOODNESS, I'm rambling again. I'll shut up now.


message 3: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Francis (emilylarson) | 596 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "Hey, Katharine. Yeah, my book that I recommended to you is sort of a "friend" book. Anyways, for me, I just love good story. I don't think I ever really go for a specific kind of plot nor do I writ..."

So I started reading your book A Furious Wind and so far I really like it. When I finish if I can write a review if you'd like. IF you want me to do you want it on Goodreads or Amazon or both? I was hooked when it started out from different peoples side of whats happening because it makes you want to keep reading. :)


message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

troubled sprits trying to communicate with the hero...spooky hair raising sings coming from a spirit to warn trouble coming ahead...the hero slowly realising that spirits trying to reach him....things happening in innocent settings as well as at night waking him up etc...



message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Maryjo wrote: "Spooky houses, family secrets, the past coming back to bite you."

how about a graveyard near the house?


message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 28, 2013 06:59PM) (new)

Maryjo wrote: "Yes! Perfect! :)"

...and a creepy old aunt lurking around and you'll never know whether she is friend or foe but you know somefink is off with her


how about we add a old grandfather clock that seems to stop at 3am for a minute?



message 7: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Francis (emilylarson) | 596 comments Mod
How about living in a house and finding out someones been living in the attic the whole time you've been there. And the only way you find out is after a house fire. Everyone got out save but one person.


message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Stephenson | 66 comments That's funny that you say that because there was a play that I went to that was like that. It was about this couple who on the outside seemed all well and good and they would invite the new neighbors and such over for dinner. But then about a quarter of the way through the play, they have this crazy smoke screen light up (it is hard to describe as the stage is somewhat lifted higher than it normally would be so you originally think that it is all blacked out for no reason). The smoke screen lights up with lights from behind to reveal that underneath their house they have locked up and kept their small child, torturing him and turning him into something inhuman. It was really the craziest play I had ever been to (yep, even more bizarre than Rocky Horror Show). It was so scary because they were walking around the whole time with this starving young boy down there and nobody knew but them.


message 9: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Francis (emilylarson) | 596 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "That's funny that you say that because there was a play that I went to that was like that. It was about this couple who on the outside seemed all well and good and they would invite the new neighbo..."

That sounds like a play I'd want to see. I love crazy type stories like that.


message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Stephenson | 66 comments I know. It was so bizarre. I can't even remember the name of it but he was in the crawl space and would try to get people's attention and it played with the fourth wall and invite the audience to participate. It was crazy-fun!


message 11: by Dan (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 8 comments 1.) Protagonist is the Hero of the book
2.) Book is about ordinary people overcoming the forces of darkness/Evil
3.) Must be creepy
4.) Just basically a good story....lol.


message 12: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Francis (emilylarson) | 596 comments Mod
Dan wrote: "1.) Protagonist is the Hero of the book
2.) Book is about ordinary people overcoming the forces of darkness/Evil
3.) Must be creepy
4.) Just basically a good story....lol."


I also like creepy story lines.

I've actually started to like books ending with the main characters death. Like they work so hard to over come whatever they needed to but then they die because of it. It leaves the reader feeling the lose. Or I like book where the "bad" guy wins. It leaves it open for another book that way.


back to top