The Great Gatsby The Great Gatsby discussion

Girls, if you were Daisy who would you choose

Comments Showing 1-50 of 221 (221 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

Monica Shoshanna Out of interest if you were Daisy would you leave Tom for Gatsby or would you decide to stay with Tom? If I were Daisy I'd definitely pick Gatsby, because he genuinely loves her and he would do anything for her. He'd never do anything to hurt her, he'd never cheat and he'd treat her like a princess and he'd be so good to her. Tom is just a brute; he cheats on Daisy and doesn't have any respect for her. I don't understand why she'd go back to Tom and wouldn't choose to be with Gatsby. It's the typical scenario of choosing the bad boy over the good guy.

Abbyb1 Truly Daisy really shouldn't pick either Tom or Gatsby. Tom is completely unfaithful and has no integrity whatsoever, but Gatsby is presenting a false version of himself to Daisy which he surely couldn't keep up in the long run. I know Gatsby loves Daisy, but his love is little more than idolatry which can't be sustained either once the bloom fades. Daisy would be wise to remain on her own and become comfortable in her own skin as a woman and mother.

Monica Shoshanna Gatsby only pretends to be someone who he's not to win back Daisy. I do think the he genuinely loves her; they didn't have a chance to resume their relationship when he went off to fight in the war. When he came back she got married to Tom. I think Gatsby would know how to treat a woman; he wouldn't cheat or try to hurt you and he's give you everything. Infatuation usually doesn't last very long, but he still hasn't forgotten her after 5 years, so it must mean something.

Mochaspresso I want to say Gatsby, but I'm really leaning toward neither. I think Daisy was a flawed character and Gatsby had her up on a pedestal and was in love his own perfect image that he created of her rather than loving her as she really was.

Monica Shoshanna i think he did love her for who she was, she's the one who doesn't love him for who he is. you must really love someone if you go to the extent that gatsby went to for daisy. it would have been a bit pointless otherwise. well it was pointless because daisy still didnt want him.

Lauren Carpenter I think Daisy did what she did because she was scared. She was too afraid to change anything, she wanted security. And once she realized what Gatsby really was she decided she wouldn't have any security in that relationship. So she stayed with the one person she knew could give her that.

Stacey Mochaspresso wrote: "I want to say Gatsby, but I'm really leaning toward neither. I think Daisy was a flawed character and Gatsby had her up on a pedestal and was in love his own perfect image that he created of her r..."
Yep.

Stacey If I were Daisy I'd do exactly what Daisy did because I'd be stupid, just like Daisy was. Honestly, Daisy Buchanan is the dumbest famous character in all of American lit.

Stacey Monica wrote: "Gatsby only pretends to be someone who he's not to win back Daisy. I do think the he genuinely loves her; they didn't have a chance to resume their relationship when he went off to fight in the war..."
True, but the woman Gatsby's in love with exists only in his mind.

Monty J Heying Monica wrote: "Out of interest if you were Daisy would you leave Tom for Gatsby or would you decide to stay with Tom? If I were Daisy I'd definitely pick Gatsby, because he genuinely loves her and he would do any..."

It doesn't bother you that Gatsby's a crook? That he consorts with Gangsters?

Megan No character in that book is perfect, but Daisy was clearly a horrible and selfish person who deserves to be with her horrible and selfish husband. I wouldn't want to be her at all.

message 12: by Victoria (last edited Nov 26, 2013 08:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Victoria If i were Daisy i would be a selfish, conceited, peacock....
If i were me i would pick Leonardo DiCaprio xD

Daisy's character very closely resembles that of Catherine from Wuthering Heights

Woman in literature who dont know how to make decisions in love!... no wonder these are both semi-tragedies.. smh xD

Kimber Yates Gatsby!!! Although Gatsby's money came from immoral sources, the only reason he pursued the money in the first place was to try to win over his true love. He had an incorruptible hope in a very corruptible dream. He selflessly made so many sacrifices and took so many risks in order to pursue the most real love he had ever known.

Katie Abbyb1 wrote: "Truly Daisy really shouldn't pick either Tom or Gatsby. Tom is completely unfaithful and has no integrity whatsoever, but Gatsby is presenting a false version of himself to Daisy which he surely couldn't keep up in the long run. I know Gatsby loves Daisy, but his love is little more than idolatry which can't be sustained either once the bloom fades. Daisy would be wise to remain on her own and become comfortable in her own skin as a woman and mother."

Couldn't agree more!

Marci Definitely agree with Abbyb1, but I would add that if she had to pick because, you know, that's the world she lives in, at least Gatsby wasn't an unfaithful, racist asshole. So... there's that.

Rosie Neither

message 17: by Ficie (new) - added it

Ficie I second everything Abbyb1 said.

Tom is a horrible man (a cheater, unpredictably violent, crass); but Gatsby is far from perfect. I do not believe that what he feels is real love; obsession, rather.
Who knows what he'd think of Daisy once he had her, and once life set in. Plus, let's not forget that he consorted with the worst crowds: gangsters and criminals. He may have done it all to reach her, but I do not believe that the end justifies the means. I think that Gatsby may sparkle, but he's definitely not made of gold (to paraphrase the proverb).
The best thing for Daisy would definitely be to be alone, and find herself.
I fear though this choice would be very out of character for Daisy - she is, after all, a pretty conformist early-twentieth-century woman, and she definitely likes the comforts and status big money gives her.

wildflower Niether!

Marci kt wrote: "god if I was daisy I would of waited for gatsby even though we come from different classes i would of choose gatsby because I love him. During the book I wanted to scream at daisy!!! What a fool!!"

A beautiful fool?

Yeah, that wasn't funny. I tried.

message 20: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed Gatsby w/o a doubt. He was totally devoted to her. Tom was a total a**hole & cheating on her on the side. But then again Daisy was totally shallow. Remember Nick's observation towards the end of the book. "They were careless people, Tom and Daisy—they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made." I rest my case.

message 21: by Rhea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rhea I think that Gatsby would have been the choice she made had she really just thought with her heart. I think Gatsby provided her with the love, emotion, joy and just pure connection that Tom didn't. However, Tom and Daisy had a child, and Tom provided stability, and I guess stability was more important than everything else. However, in my opinion, Tom was just terrible, he cheated, he was an ass, he was controlling. Gatsby was amazing for everything else and those aspects that Gatsby could bring are amazing, and he would be the best choice.

Laurel If I were Daisy I would be a cunning, shallow, very unpleasant sort of woman who couldn't care less who she was married to so long as she got to continue living in a position of luxury and status and ignoring the underlying issues that she is very, very aware of.

Geoffrey Monty J
Your post message #10 resonated with me quite strongly. Those are my sentiments exactly. Somehow people are not thinking through the ramifications of his bootlegging activities. He`s involved in more than just that as he is also fencing stolen municipal bonds and has/had a boss who fixed the 1919 World Series. If he is up to his eyeball in criminal activities such as these, what more is he involved in? That is the question that no character in the novel thinks to ask, nor do many of the readers. To maintain the illegal bootlegging which then consisted of chains of pharmacies throughout the country that offered "hooch" in the back rooms, you have to bribe the police and politicians. So there`s any felony we can reasonably add to Jay`s future rap sheet considering that he was Jay`s first lieutenant, or at the very least, direct underling.

As for Jay, that poor deluded fool, I doubt he would have come down to earth as far as Daisy was concerned. He was too much of a dreamer to ever reject her character. I do believe he would have been the life-long suffering idiot such as Madame Bovary`s husband. Some people are incorrigible in their mistaken take on life`s frailties and I believe Nick paints him as such with the broad strokes in the beginning of the novel when he writes of J`s character.

message 24: by Aitziber (last edited Dec 21, 2013 03:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aitziber I would say the book makes it pretty clear that neither Tom nor Gatsby are good choices. I'm not even getting into Tom's flaws because they're obvious. What surprises me is that people have failed to mention that Gatsby demanded that Daisy completely renounce her years with Tom, and that she say that she'd been in love with Gatsby the whole time. He wanted her to rewrite her history, just to satisfy his ego and to prove that you could change your past. With this, he proves that he never loved Daisy, she was just an accessory to his fantasy of being born old money, albeit the accessory that was hardest to get. It doesn't fit his fantasy that Daisy went and married someone else, and had shared history with them, and even a baby, and so Daisy had to claim that never happened, for Gatsby's sake.

Ultimately, Daisy chooses Tom because he provides her with security, but also because as unhinged as Tom was, it was a kind of crazy that she could deal with.

message 25: by Iris (last edited Dec 21, 2013 03:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Iris If I'm honest, I would choose Tom. He isn't physically abusive (to Daisy) and I (as Daisy) have his child and he really does seem to love "me" right when he's about to lose "me." Also I have this thing about promises made. When I agreed to marry him I agreed to stick by him, and although I love Gatsby I don't think I can break apart my family for a past love that just won't come back again or be the same. It would break my heart but that's what I would do.

Jackie Tom, cheat on him w/Gatsby

message 27: by Emma (new) - rated it 2 stars

Emma Abbyb1 wrote: "Truly Daisy really shouldn't pick either Tom or Gatsby. Tom is completely unfaithful and has no integrity whatsoever, but Gatsby is presenting a false version of himself to Daisy which he surely c..."

I agree. And if I was a man I wouldn't chose Daisy. Pretty much everyone in this book is despicable.

Geoffrey Losers get to go with losers. The only winner in this novel is the Parker woman. At least the only thing she does is cheat at golf and she gets to dump her boyfriends, not vice versa, and as far as Nick is concerned, she gives him her comeuppance so she gets the best of him with her very enigmatic Frank confession.

message 29: by Geoffrey (last edited Dec 22, 2013 08:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geoffrey The choice is a horrible one. Both men are horrible characters, but of the two, Jay, as presented in the story, is definitely made of the finer material. But didnt hekilla man. I don´t recall reading that but at least one poster had mentioned that he had.

Jay´s criminal activities could land him in prison some day and for Daisy to rely on his presence for the child´s upbringing would be injudicious. Perhaps that would tilt the pendulum toward choosing Tom.

But had she any guts, she´d forsake both and take up with someone else. A divorce would get her enough of Tom´s fortune for all the nannies necessary for the care of her child, considering she has so Little of the maternal instinct. But again, Daisy is too sensitive to loss of social position and I am sure in 1922, in the moneyed crowd she would have been a pariah.

Donna Thompson Daisy , as a character, is beholden to men for her identity and comfort.The results have been less than ideal. Gatsby has given his heart to the fictional (beyond the book :))idea of the woman, Daisy. His love is based on a memory, maybe even an obsession of unrequited love. Daisy is the symbol more than the person of his heart. For this reason, they are not really good together. I think she should escape from Tom and then take some time on her own, while maintaining a special friendship with Gatsby along with other people. This may,or may not, in time, lead to a union with Gatsby or another man. This would be the more modern rewrite for their romance in my humble opinion

Laura Personally, I think the question itself is ill placed. Daisy was selfish, shallow and scared. The obvious choice for her was Tom. Even if she were to choose Gatsby it wouldn't have lasted because Gatsby loved the Daisy in his mind, not the real Daisy. Anyway, back to the original question, if I was Daisy I would have chosen Tom. As myself, when given the choice would have chosen Nick.

message 32: by Geoffrey (last edited Dec 30, 2013 12:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geoffrey I am not so sure that Daisy would have tired of Jay´s "love". She´s such a scatterbrained, self-centered ditzoid that she probably would not have noticed his idealistic delusion of her persona. And really what do we have in reality, a freaky nutcase of a woman.
And if she did come to the realization of what his "love" consisted of, how could that have been any different from the ridiculous relationship she had with her husband.

No, I don´t think she would have tired of him, but only when his house of cards collapsed, ie. when he ended up incarcerated, she would have gone back to Tom.

message 33: by Iris (new) - rated it 3 stars

Iris Donna wrote: "Daisy , as a character, is beholden to men for her identity and comfort.The results have been less than ideal. Gatsby has given his heart to the fictional (beyond the book :))idea of the woman, Da..."

You mean a modern, sensible, happy rewrite. Don't forget that The Great Gatsby is a tragedy and should end thus. That's what makes it so appealing generation after generation. Who doesn't love a good love story gone wrong?

Sarah Younan GATSBY!!! is it even a question?! Daisy is a bitch! this guy genuinely loves her and would do anything for her! honestly, i wouldn't have cared if i already had a kid with tom, just as he never cared when he cheated. all she had to do was grab the kid, run to jays arms, and he would have made sure tom diapered for good. it was soo easy and yet... god!
idc uk what?! she dosent even deserve Gatsby! selfish bitch!! i want my gatsby!! i want him back!! <3333

message 35: by Renae (last edited Jan 02, 2014 11:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renae Richardson Gatsby was in love with how he remembered Daisy. He was in love with how he loved her in his youth. Things change and so do people. It would be hard pressed to believe that someone who holds so strongly to the past would be able to love the Daisy she had become. I think Daisy loved the fact that someone loved her that way. It was flattering and intoxicating. That's not necessarily the stuff love is made of. Daisy needed to love Gatsby for who he is or has become; not for his things, the things he could do, or the way his idolization of her made her feel. She was so swept away by Gatsby because she was neglected in her current relationship. She wanted to be treated in the manner that Gatsby was promising to treat her. She was too holding on to the past. I don't think her choosing Gatsby would have worked out for her either. I think she realized that. There was a disconnect between what Gatsby made her feel and what she really wanted. She wanted the love affair, but she also wanted stability, and someone to love her for who she was now not what she once was. I don't think Gatsby could do that.

As for Tom. He did not love Daisy. To him Daisy was a possession. She was another one of his baubles. She was pretty to look at and she was refined. He didn't love her. He loved the woman he had the affair with. It seemed to be a union of convenience or pedigree. It is what was expected of him, to have the beautiful, trophy wife. Deep down he was something different. They would never be happy. They may be content in the false security that their wealth could afford them but not true love.

I think Daisy would be better starting all over again.

I would be loathed to refer to Daisy in a deragatory manner, as she is a product of her birthright and current status. Society looked favorably upon those who could secure a "fine catch" and live in the lap of luxury. She would have been very much envied. She had lived most her adult life as such. What impetus would she have to be different. She had no need for things. She greatly desired to be the center and the recipient of idolization. Gatsby did that for her. Being with him would also mean loss of status, privilege, and may be even social isolation from those she had known most of her life. She made the only choice she felt she could make.

Geoffrey Yes, I said as much in another post, Renae. But considering her character, or lack thereof, she would not have seriously considered looking elsewhere. And remember, the times were the roaring 20`s, yes, libertine, but a divorce or separation would have seriously limited her opportunities for marriage to another. And then again, she was such a flawed character herself, how could she have attracted someone with both love and character?

Pamela Stadden Monica wrote: "Out of interest if you were Daisy would you leave Tom for Gatsby or would you decide to stay with Tom? If I were Daisy I'd definitely pick Gatsby, because he genuinely loves her and he would do any..."

Isn't Daisy just as shallow as Tom? When Gatsby dies, she does not even go to his funeral.

Sarah Younan Pamela wrote: "Monica wrote: "Out of interest if you were Daisy would you leave Tom for Gatsby or would you decide to stay with Tom? If I were Daisy I'd definitely pick Gatsby, because he genuinely loves her and ..."

lol thats the only thing that makes daisy and tom perfect for eachother

Geoffrey Yes,I would look elsewhere if I were Daisy, but considering Daisy, I completely understand that option would be out of the question. She would not necessarily have attracted anyone better than either of the two other idiots.

message 40: by Iris (new) - rated it 3 stars

Iris Pamela wrote: "Monica wrote: "Out of interest if you were Daisy would you leave Tom for Gatsby or would you decide to stay with Tom? If I were Daisy I'd definitely pick Gatsby, because he genuinely loves her and ..."

Even if she wanted to (which I'm sure she didn't) Tom probably wouldn't let her go.

Pamela Stadden Iris wrote: "Pamela wrote: "Monica wrote: "Out of interest if you were Daisy would you leave Tom for Gatsby or would you decide to stay with Tom? If I were Daisy I'd definitely pick Gatsby, because he genuinely..."

True.

Pamela Stadden Iris wrote: "Pamela wrote: "Monica wrote: "Out of interest if you were Daisy would you leave Tom for Gatsby or would you decide to stay with Tom? If I were Daisy I'd definitely pick Gatsby, because he genuinely..."

True. (I am still learning how to post.)

Patti If you read the book carefully, you'll realize that Daisy drifted. She needed to be with someone who would let her drift. That would be Tom. He made no demands on her financially nor emotionally. He just expected her to be there when he needed her. He cheated, and that released her from any obligation to give back. It also added a little drama to her life and made it less awful to have a fling on her own.
Gatsby, on the other had, did want more from her- like love. She couldn't give it.

message 44: by Iris (last edited Jan 03, 2014 09:30AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Iris Patti wrote: "If you read the book carefully, you'll realize that Daisy drifted. She needed to be with someone who would let her drift. That would be Tom. He made no demands on her financially nor emotionally. H..."

Good point. Being monogamous might be more than both Tom and Daisy can give, but as long as they stay together and are okay with the side flings. It's not a problem I guess.

Hannah Foster Tom has a status that's unlike Gatsby. Yes, Gatsby may have been rich then, but it was only to impress Daisy. That fame wouldn't last and Daisy would be disappointed like she was in the past.

Dalia Fawzy No doubt I would choose Gatsby ; Tom is just an unfaithful husband , I would choose the more loyal

Viridiana Damned if you do damned if you don't. Life is complicated. Mistakes are made and in the end we live with the thought, "What if". Choice is ultimately left to oneself and I guess the beauty about it is we all have a choice. You don't have to agree with it. Idealistically I know Gatsby would have been the perfect choice but reality is much more harsh. Her staying with Tom is just plain and simple reality. I also want to add that Daisy and Tom share a child and in those days divorce was not like today. The way I see it Daisy was unworthy of Gatsby's love and Tom was unworthy of Daisy. I'd rather run off with Nick Carraway. I enjoyed his character a whole lot.

message 48: by Iris (new) - rated it 3 stars

Iris Viridiana wrote: "Damned if you do damned if you don't. Life is complicated. Mistakes are made and in the end we live with the thought, "What if". Choice is ultimately left to oneself and I guess the beauty about it..."

Nick Carraway? No way. That guy was just that, a guy. At least both Tom and Gatsby were men. Carraway didn't know his own mind, and that trait might be endearing and cute in Daisy but in a dude it's just wrong.

Viridiana Its all good...to each his own.

Kelsey Burke I understand that for the time divorce was frowned upon, especially for someone with money, like Daisy. But if I had someone as loving as Gatsby and knew that my husband was cheating on me, there's no doubt at all that I would choose Gatsby. Daisy had also had a daughter with Tom so I know that would've been a tough thing to deal with but I don't think I would want my daughter around a man like him anyway.

« previous 1 3 4 5