The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars discussion

I'm dying to know... *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

☽Ƹɱɱɑ☾ We never know when Hazel is going to die! There could be some miracle and she could live 20 more years, or she could die days after the book ends. Thoughts?

Stephanie Gonzalez The end was so frustrating, but I felt the author was going to die off Hazel. I actually felt she was meant to die. It feels like Hazel knows she gonna and she is just waiting.

Nicole I think John Green intentionally left it off like that so the audience would have different opinions of the ending. Just like how Hazel was so frustrated about the Imperial Affliction novel.

Veronica Nicole wrote: "I think John Green intentionally left it off like that so the audience would have different opinions of the ending. Just like how Hazel was so frustrated about the Imperial Affliction novel."

That's exactly the reason I think he ended it that way.

message 5: by Ruby (new) - added it

Ruby Exactly so annoying

Saf She's gonna die at some point, everyone does. It's inevitable...

Salma Death is inevitable but I think John Green didn't kill her off intentionally.

Millie I had this crazy thought the other day. Maybe the book ends because Hazel became to weak to write and dies, like what her and Gus thought about An Imperial Affliction.

emma (thehapabookworm) Nicole wrote: "I think John Green intentionally left it off like that so the audience would have different opinions of the ending. Just like how Hazel was so frustrated about the Imperial Affliction novel."

I agree, and part way through the book I became terrified that he'd end the book halfway through a sentence!

message 10: by K.C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K.C. I thought that Hazel was going to die from the beginning and I thought that was how John Green was going to end the book is with Hazel dying. So, when Augustus came in and then he died I was shocked but in the end I'm pretty sure Hazel would've died. It was still extremely frustrating.

hazelnutjob Let us first start off by saying that the beloved author, John Green, is an American hero. But Fault in Our Stars was a fistful of cyan sewage.

We're going to drop some phat character anals. on you homeslices:

Hazel: Entitled. Skank. Pretentious. Annoying AF. Ungrateful. SOB. Get over yourself. Cynical. Human waste. Fuck. Hazel Lancaster is by far Green's worst character. Her false sense of entitlement exterminates any possibility of her being even close to likable. Throw relatability out of the question with her cynical, thinks-she's-so-clever attitude. She treats everyone in her life like the garbage SHE is. Examples include her parents, her support group members, "friends", etc...) she thinks that her terminal disease gives her an excuse to be a trash human being to those around her. She always maintains a negative outlook on life EXCEPT when she is begging her loving parents to let her and her boy toy go to Europe together (which was a waste of time because the glorified author she was chasing ended up being a douche bag to her). Anyway, after she sexes Gus's body, she thinks she has the audacity to try and pull off an after-sex note, which in Hazel's version featured a poorly thought-out and incredibly unclever venn diagram that both made us roll our eyes to the point of no return, and throw up everything in our stomachs out of the stupidity and arrogance of her newly deflowered body. To conclude, Hazel does not relate to any real teenage girl. But instead embodies an arrogant, self-centered piece of fuck.

Augustus: With his repulsive, excessive charisma and over developed hipster Prince Charming "personality", Augustus Waters strives to be the sensitive, mysterious night owl of the night. But only achieves the common pigeon that repeatedly flies into windows. Such as when he attempts to retrieve a pack of cigarettes, to NOT smoke, he winds up in quite a pickle, just like a common pigeon into a window. His originality borders on predictable overused archetypes that Green should have known better than to use. Throughout the story, Augustus aims to become a more prominent SOB than he already is. Seeking the attention of literally everyone, he cries over the fact that he will never be some kind of glorified idol that can titillate the loins of all who follow in his pseudo-philosophical teachings.

☽Ƹɱɱɑ☾ hazelnutjob wrote: "Let us first start off by saying that the beloved author, John Green, is an American hero. But Fault in Our Stars was a fistful of cyan sewage.

We're going to drop some phat character anals. on y..."

hazelnutjob, you are copying and pasting this on all the TFiOS discussions. Obviously you are a troll.

☽Ƹɱɱɑ☾ And yes, I know that death is inevitable. I just want to know when she dies! I also wish An Imperial Affliction was a real book so I could read it!

Azizi Millie wrote: "I had this crazy thought the other day. Maybe the book ends because Hazel became to weak to write and dies, like what her and Gus thought about An Imperial Affliction."

That's a pretty astute thought. Not crazy at all! Love it!

Exlibris_keagan I liked how the book ends. But I think Hazel grew up and died an old woman. I don't know. I sort of think it like titanic. Jack dies and Rose lives.

message 16: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Exlibris_keagan wrote: "I liked how the book ends. But I think Hazel grew up and died an old woman. I don't know. I sort of think it like titanic. Jack dies and Rose lives."

That's a good thought . But I think she is going to die soon . She was the one among the 2 who had a time limit of sorts . Augustus even got a eulogy written for her . So yeah , I think she will die soon

message 17: by Jake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jake Gest Well the parallel with An Imperial Affliction wouldn't hold very much weight if we knew what happened to all the characters after the story ended now would it? (John Green has even stated, the character he personally resembles most is Peter Van Houten)

It brings quite a lot of realism to the novel as well. Life rarely gets wrapped up in a neat little bow. As a person, you don't get to see how things turn out for everyone you meet, know, and love. People drift out of our lives, or our relationships with them end abruptly... or we die. Just think, you will probably never know the entirety of your children's lives, most certainly not those of your grandchildren.

message 18: by Szan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Szan I wanted him to end it mid sentence to parallel AIA.

message 19: by Molly (last edited Dec 25, 2013 02:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Molly Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but the book is in past tense- that implies she is telling this story years later after it happened, or she could be telling it a few months after.

Either way, John has stated many times that it is now YOUR BOOK and you can imagine the end any way you want.

Lisa-Anne I think she dies, and I know this sounds so harsh but I have my reasoning.

- Hazel had Stage IV Thyroid Cancer (already a 50% chance of survival) but also has metastasis (which can reduce her survivability to 28%).

- One of the last conversations she has with her mother, her mother agrees that she will continue with her dream of being a social working WHEN she dies. Her mother doesn't argue with this, because it's already been accepted by her family that she WILL die young

- The book DOES stop abruptly, just like AIA. Although it doesn't end mid-sentence, it just kind of stops.

- I felt that AIA is foreshadowing what would happen to Hazel's family/friends.
Dutch Tulip Man = her father (will he divorce her mother when she dies?)
Mother = Mother (will she be happy when she dies, be WITH her father - sans divorce - and continue her dream of being a social worker)
Sisyphus the Hamster = Isaac (what will happen to him? He won't have any friends for Augustus and Hazel are gone, he is but alone as Monica has also left him).

- Hazel mentions that she was given "a little" more time with the medication.

I could go on and on, but these are just some reasons why I feel she does pass away, and that is the way the book should end.

message 21: by Jade (last edited Jan 07, 2014 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jade She dies of heartbreak after reading the letter Gus sent to Van Houten...

I actually think it was meant to be open opinion, you know, for all the fanfiction

Sammy Young She has terminal Cancer...it's not that hard to piece together