Chicks On Lit discussion

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I recently read Kristin Hannah's True Colors and cried buckets. I found it was therapeutic to just sit and cry over a book. I read her Firefly Lane and did the same thing. What books have made you ladies cry?

message 2: by LinBee (new)

LinBee The Book Thief by Zusak. And Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. She just kept killing off my favorite characters.

message 3: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments I tend to stay away from tearjerkers usually (not so much because they make me cry, but because I'm such a cynic I usually wind up rolling my eyes), but sometimes some books really get me. The last one that really made me cry was The Red Tent. Where the Red Fern Grows was pretty emotional, too.

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 192 comments I think the last book that had me bawling was Marley & Me!

LinBee- I'm looking forward to reading The Book Thief!

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brenlouhen) Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.... I bawled.

message 6: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) For me it was The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. I cried for a long time, days after I finished it I was still tearing up.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments The Book Thief and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) I remember when I first read Kite Runner, I was crying before I even broke 100 pages. After that I recommended it to everybody.

message 9: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) I love a good tear jerker. I bawled with The Guardian, The Notebook, and Marley & Me Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog.

Most recently I cried like a baby when I read Firefly Lane. I think that may be the last book I read that actually brought me to tears...

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments The last book I read that made me cry was I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb.

My grandfather was in WWII and suffered from severe PTSS which included paranoid schizophrenia. He died when I was 2 so I don't remember much about him, but my mom and I found his "journals" a few years back while cleaning out our garage and I was fascinated. I guess the emotional roller coaster that is schizophrenia was very well articulated in this book and it hit home with me.

message 11: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 12 comments I'd have to say Suzanne's Letters to Nicholas, Firefly Lane and My Sister's Keeper. I'm sure there are others, I seem to cry while reading all the time!

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mouser083) The book that made me cry was A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines

message 13: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments Oh my, I cry a lot...

The best cries came from
Firefly Lane, True Colors, My Sisters Keeper, Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, Sam's Letters for Jennifer, and pretty much everything written by Nicholas Sparks.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lexnick) I just finished Mistress Shakespeare and I cried like a baby.

message 15: by LinBee (new)

LinBee I agree with Where the Red Fern Grows as well, I cry every time.

message 16: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments Oh I forgot a children's book that I can't get through reading to my children without crying. Love You Forever I swear my kids like having me read it because they get a kick out of watching me sob while I am reading.

Elizabeth (Alaska) The last children's book that brought tears to my eyes was The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. I have no children at home anymore, but was giving this to my niece for her children and wanted to read it first. I'm so glad I was alone, I felt silly (but can recommend this book without hesitation).

message 19: by Dan (new)

Dan One Dog at a Time by Pen Farthing really got me recently! Fiction wise, it has to be The Bridges of Madison County - book and film had me bawling at the end. On a more embarrassing note Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - I loved the idea of everyone having a Patronus and that little teasing glimpse and a little bit more time to spend with someone who has died (isn't that what we all wish for) really touched me (but don't tell anyone I cried at a 'childrens' book by the side of the pool on holiday a couple of years ago - thank heavens for sunglasses!)

message 20: by Dan (new)

Dan Forgot one The Soul Bird

message 21: by Monica (new)

Monica (imelda85) Shelby wrote: "I recently read Kristin Hannah's True Colors and cried buckets. I found it was therapeutic to just sit and cry over a book. I read her Firefly Lane and did the same thing. What books have made you ..."

I have never cried over a book so much as I did with Firefly Lane! That book really got me! I totally sobbed! I loved it though. Kristin Hannah really knows how to get readers to connect with her characters!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kristin Hannah really knows how to get readers to connect with her characters!

She does. I think because family and close friends play such a part in her books.
Some of these I haven't read. I'm going to have to look them up.
Mandy Sue, it's funny I cried buckets during Love you Forever too! I just love it.

message 23: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) I cried reading the Guernsey book. It was just so good and there were some things in it that I found heartbreaking. The last book that made me cry was The Elegance of the Hedgehog - I was bawling with that one at the end.

message 24: by Holli (new)

Holli I cried with Firefly Lane also! Great book....

Black Beauty got to me every time I read it. Lots of Danielle Steel's books have made me teary eyed too.

message 25: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 130 comments After I'm done with my YA challenge I can't wait to read Loving Frank A Novel and Firefly Lane!

message 26: by Roberta (new)

Roberta (wwwgoodreadscomrooonuma) | 59 comments Marley & Me. I balled like crazy!

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker The Grapes of Wrath has made me tear up a few times and I'm only about 100 pages in.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I have another 30 pages to go in Guernsey. Someone posted earlier in this thread about this one, and I found myself reading through the tears, letting them pool up in that little cavity your collarbone makes.

message 29: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Elizabeth - Guernsey totally made me cry. Can't wait to hear what you thought about the book.

message 30: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments I have to admit, The Last Lecture got me sniffly, too. The book that is, watching his presentation on youtube after reading it didn't bother me for some reason.

message 31: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 49 comments "The Art of Racing in the Rain" made me cry..loved that book!

message 32: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
I am nodding my head agreeing with so many of these, and I definately second The Art of Racing in the Rain. For those of you that cried at Marley and Me, I believe this one will make you cry even more!

message 33: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker My mom always, always, always cries when reading The Crippled Lamb at Christmas time.

message 34: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I don't cry from books a whole lot but Marley and Me was one. I think that's why I'm hesitant to read The Art of Racing in the Rain or The Story of Edgar Sawtelle-though I don't see it listed as a tearjerker so maybe I'm safe! Animals-make me cry every time!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Animals make me cry too. I have Marley and Me on my TBR shelf but I can't read it. I also won't watch the movie.

My Sister's Keeper was a tear jerker for me. I also just read Lonesome Dove and admit to crying a couple of times through that one.

message 36: by ReneeB (new)

ReneeB Cloud Nine by Luanne Rice. Some of her books have really had me bawling!

message 37: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Tuesdays with Morrie
The help
The bridges of Madison county
and so many more...I loved tearjerkers!

message 38: by Suncani (new)

Suncani The Time Traveller's Wife made me cry. Even the sense of inevitability doesn't stop me. Generally I don't like books that make me cry but this is one of my favourites along with The Book Thief.

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 192 comments Cindy wrote: "I don't cry from books a whole lot but Marley and Me was one. I think that's why I'm hesitant to read The Art of Racing in the Rain or The Story of Edgar Sawtelle-though I don't see it listed as a..."

I too was wanting to read THe Art of Racing in the Rain, but didn't know if I would be able to make it through. Let me know if you decide to read it!

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 192 comments I remembered another book that made me cry, Bridge to Terabithia. So sad!

message 41: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 49 comments Christy wrote: "I remembered another book that made me cry, Bridge to Terabithia. So sad!"

Read this for a children's lit class in college! Loved it!!!!

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 192 comments It's a great book! I wanted to read it before I let my 10 year old read it, and I loved it! I just hope she likes it. :)

message 43: by Moody (new)

Moody Claire (singurl) | 44 comments Books that made me feel lost or cried were

Message in a bottle
Another woman
lessons in heartbreak

that part of breaking dawn where alice left suddenly

new moon where edward and Bella broke up

Harry potter and the half-blood prince- just felt the loss but not cried

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 192 comments Thomma wrote: "I bawled and bawled over A Thousand Splendid Suns. Goodness, what a magnificent book."

I've heard that was a great book, I hope to read it one day. :)

message 45: by Emerald (new)

Emerald (emmeraldd) | 63 comments Before I Die
by Jenny Downham
Is such a sad book, the first one I read on that topic, I read it a while ago and just reread it recently. I stayed up late to finish it and nearly cried my self silly. Oh curse the sentimentalist within! :P :)

message 46: by Emerald (new)

Emerald (emmeraldd) | 63 comments Christy wrote: "I remembered another book that made me cry, Bridge to Terabithia. So sad!"

I read that with my best friend in 6th grade, we both wouldn't admit it made us choke up and get liquid eyes.

message 47: by Nazomi (new)

Nazomi Sarah wrote: "I remember when I first read Kite Runner, I was crying before I even broke 100 pages. After that I recommended it to everybody."

the same thing happened to me. I cried thru the whole book. i was actually bawling in the bus as I read.

also harry potter. especially book 6.

message 48: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) I am so glad that I'm not the only one that gets into books so much that they make me cry. I have cried over many of the books you all have mentioned. Sometimes I think it also means they are great writers to make you "feel" their books so well.

I, like Shelby, find it therapeutic sometimes to cry over a book. Great stress reliever for me :)

message 49: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I recently cried when I read Little Chapel on the River A Pub, a Town and the Search for What Matters Most. It was about a woman after 9-11 who by chance stumbled into a little bar on the Hudson river across from West Point Academy called Guinan's. It was a general store/bar ran by an ailing Jim Guinan with help from his children. The author wound up moving to the little town, Garrison NY. She was so captivated by the owner, his family and the people. She shared stories from the clientele, reverting back to short smidgens about her own childhood with her grandfather & family. It was so touching in parts and reminded me of people I have known.

Maybe I have just been emotional lately, but I definitely recommend this book!