2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2013 > Secret Santa 2013!

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara (last edited Nov 22, 2013 04:31PM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments Secret Santa was one of our most successful activities last year, so we're bringing it back!

Here's how it works:
1. Sign up in this thread by December 6th and state whether you would like an ebook or a physical book or either. You will be given a book of the same format you will be sending.
2. You will receive a message from me requesting your physical address or email address. For ebooks, a format will also need to be provided (Kindle, Nook, ePub, etc.). Feel free to provide additional instruction on what genre you would like to receive (but this is completely optional).
3. Later, you will receive a second message from me providing the name and address of your Santee. If you're being asked to send an ebook, instructions will also be included.
4. Do your research and shopping, and send your Santee a book by December 20th.

Everyone will receive a book!

This is not something you're expected to spend a fortune on. The books don't need to be new (send one of your favorites from your own collection or pick up something from a used bookstore), and they don't need to costly (for ebooks, you can send something in the public domain). It's the thought that counts! Your Santa will send you a book he or she thinks you'll like, and you'll have a new book to try out.

We're an international group, so international members are encouraged to participate as well. Everyone in the physical book group will be asked if they're willing and able to ship abroad. Please note: if you're the only person participating from your country, you will, by default, need to ship abroad if you go the physical book route.

message 2: by Emily~ (last edited Nov 22, 2013 02:52PM) (new)

Emily~  | 62 comments Sounds like fun~
I'm game :3
Physical book preferably but eBook is good too

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments What an amazing idea!

Count me in - I'd rather deal with physical books, if that's okay. And I don't mind shipping overseas at all. My whole family lives in Ireland, so I'm quite used to it :]

message 4: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 807 comments I sign up! And I prefer kindle format (But can handle physical books if it makes santa matching easier)

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Wow this sounds great! I generally read books on my kindle but I don't think you can gift kindle books (I might be wrong) so to make things easier I think I'll opt for a physical book. I don't mind shipping overseas.

message 6: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 807 comments Sarah wrote: "Wow this sounds great! I generally read books on my kindle but I don't think you can gift kindle books (I might be wrong) so to make things easier I think I'll opt for a physical book. I don't mind..."

Kindle books CAN be gifted. :) It was done successfully last year, at least. I'm sure a how-to will come up.

message 7: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 807 comments ...When you view a book in the kindle store, there is a "Give as gift"-button just under the "Buy now with 1-click"-button. When you click it, it takes you to a page that asks for the recipient's e-mail adress. That person will receive an e-mail with a link to their gift, if I recall correctly. It allows you to change the "from"-name so you can remain a secret santa, if you wish.

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (speling_expirt) | 585 comments I'd love to do this. I prefer physical books but don't mind ebooks, I live in the uk and don't mind sending overseas.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to join in. I prefer Kindle books but a physical book would be okay as well.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Karina wrote: "...When you view a book in the kindle store, there is a "Give as gift"-button just under the "Buy now with 1-click"-button. When you click it, it takes you to a page that asks for the recipient's e..."

Thanks Karina for the info but it would seem that this option is not available on Amazon UK.

message 11: by SibylM (new)

SibylM (sibyldiane) | 223 comments I would love to participate! I am a Kindle person.

message 12: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments This is a great idea. I prefer a kindle version please.

message 13: by Nathaly (new)

Nathaly | 356 comments I loved this last year!

Physical book please.

message 14: by Tiffany-Rae (new)

Tiffany-Rae Lowe (thetiff10) | 87 comments I love this idea!!!!
Physical book please.
I don't mind shipping international.

message 15: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Sarah. I had no idea you couldn't gift ebooks through Amazon UK, and I'm surprised this didn't come up last year. You can't gift them from Amazon France either. Very good to know.

message 16: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments Im in! Physical book, please.
International shipping can get crazy expensive, so I'd prefer to ship within the US if that's OK :-)

message 17: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments It's totally okay, Kaitlin. That's why we ask. :)

message 18: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookwormblend) | 4 comments so so in, physical copy preferred, and I'll get you the same. This is such a great idea

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments I'll join in! I'd prefer a Kindle version, please.

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather | 125 comments I'm in. I need physical books as I do not own an e-reader.

message 21: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments im in! I prefer ereader books. I have a Nook. I dont have any more room for physical books in my apartment.

message 22: by cat (new)

cat news (catnews) | 53 comments I'm in ! I would prefer to send and receive a physical book.

message 23: by Ashley (last edited Nov 25, 2013 09:48AM) (new)

Ashley I will join in again this year. This year I will do a Kindle receive and send. Since I never received a book from my Secret Santa last year, I'll give it one more try.

message 24: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 325 comments I'd like to sign up. I'd prefer to exchange a physical book with someone in the US.

message 25: by Sharon (last edited Nov 26, 2013 10:37AM) (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 740 comments I'm in, I prefer physical books but I can do kindle if you need that also. Prefer to stay in the states due to shipping costs.

Ashley, I'm sorry you never received you book last year from your Secret Santa :( I received my book and it came with a matching bookmark! I hope my secret santee liked theirs last year.

message 26: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments Ashley wrote: "I will join in again this year. This year I will do a Kindle receive and send. Since I never received a book from my Secret Santa last year, I'll give it one more try."

Awww that's terrible! I hope your Secret Santa this year sends you an amazing book.

message 27: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 615 comments Signing up for a physical book if possible (I'm international). I would go for kindle also, but I don't have the gift option on amazon either.

message 28: by Ashlee (last edited Nov 28, 2013 01:06AM) (new)

Ashlee (Ajax) | 120 comments I'm happy to play :) As long as the person is in Australia?

and I would like a physical Book :)

message 29: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 49 comments I loved this last year and I'm totally in for it again. I'll do either but I think I'd prefer ebook kindle format

message 30: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean yay. I'm in.

I'd like a physical book please!

message 31: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) I'd love to join in please :) I'd prefer an ebook if possible but if not, then a physical book is fine :)

message 32: by Nidia (last edited Dec 03, 2013 12:12PM) (new)

Nidia (thatgirlreads) | 103 comments I'd like to join. I did it last year and it was a lot of fun. I'll do either physical or kindle ebook. For physical book, I'd prefer to send in the United States.
Oh and I still have my Secret Santa shelf from last year if it helps my Santa out but you certainly don't have to choose from that list :)

message 33: by Kate (new)

Kate (tulosai) | 14 comments YAAAY i am so glad you are doing this again this year! I am in again. I got life of Pi last year it was awesome!

I want to do a physical book. I unfortunately can't ship internationally at this time and need a USA buddy :)

message 34: by Julieschreiner (new)

Julieschreiner | 19 comments Such a great idea!! I am in :) I am a sucker for used physical books :)

message 35: by Renae (new)

Renae Richardson | 21 comments I am interested and I prefer e-books.

message 36: by Renae (new)

Renae Richardson | 21 comments I also prefer Kindle or KOBO

message 37: by Sara (new)

Sara Wertheimer | 6 comments Interested. I prefer kindle, but willing to do physical books as well. USA please

message 38: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (lilsherry) | 699 comments Yay I'm interested!!- What a wonderful idea and great way to introduce/share new stories with everyone!

I prefer physical book (shipping is fine) because there is nothing better or CLASSIC about flipping the pages. However Kindle is also fine, but I read physical book faster ^.^

message 39: by Shannon (last edited Dec 05, 2013 08:45AM) (new)

Shannon Broad (shannonbroad) | 16 comments id love to join, I live in England and I'm able to do ebook's but I'm not sure how to send them as a gift. I can send a ebook to anybody if I know how to gift it.

message 40: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments Last couple of days to join!

message 41: by Kathy (last edited Dec 05, 2013 06:36PM) (new)

Kathy  | 383 comments I enjoyed the Secret Santa last year so I'm in. I have no problem shipping overseas. I would like to receive a Physical book please.

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Kempkes (ashleykempkes) Physical book please! I live in the US, but I don't mind sending internationally. Merry Christmas!

message 43: by Erin (new)

Erin Shadle (erinshadle) Oh, no! I missed it!

message 44: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments Erin, I haven't started doing the pairings yet, so I can include you.

message 45: by Mishael (new)

Mishael (mishael_witty) | 4 comments This sounds like fun. I'd like to join in too, if it's not too late. If it is, I'll just try for next year. :-)

message 46: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Langan (ashleighreads) | 54 comments Yes I would like to do this too! I prefer a physical book and shipping in the US (sorry!)

message 47: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments We are past the deadline on this, so this thread is officially closed.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.