Children's Books discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) Can anybody recommend some good books about the weather for 4-6 year olds? I've had a number of weather related conversations with my daughters this week e.g how do they know it will rain (when listening to a weather report) or is it only raining where we are? I'm tempted to set up a weather station with them over the hollidays.

message 2: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 5589 comments Mod
The only one I can think of right away is about snow (not weather forecasting in general) The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder so I'm not sure that is really what you're looking for. But if you get snow in your area, it might be worth checking out.

message 3: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (nesshawk) | 13 comments Kind of a difficult one to find for that age group that isn't too dry! A couple of suggestions: Oh Say Can You Say What's the Weather Today?: All About Weather - one of the Cat in the Hat Learning Library series. Melvin Berger writes great science books for younger kids that have more of a picture book perspective, so try How's the Weather?: A Look at Weather and How It Changes. Pink Snow and Other Weird Weather has info about weird weather phenomena. The Cloud Book by Tomie dePaola is not only about how clouds tell of changing weather, but about myths inspired by clouds, so it is a mix of informational text and a bit of fantasy. I love Spring is Here by Taro Gomi - but I suppose it is more of a seasons book, though. Hope this gives you a jumping off place!

message 4: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) Thanks so much for these suggestions! I'll see what I can find.

message 5: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 14 comments The Man Who Named the Clouds is a great intro to cloud types.

I'm sure you're probably looking for serious science, but Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs is one of my favs.

message 6: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) M.G. wrote: "The Man Who Named the Clouds is a great intro to cloud types.

I'm sure you're probably looking for serious science, but Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs is one of my favs."

Can't resist the last one. Will definitely find it.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Um...................... I did a search for "Wild Weather" and this came up: Wild Weather...