52 weeks, 52 books discussion

Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)
This topic is about Ender's Game
Week 48: Ender's Game

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Catherine McKenzie | 985 comments Mod
I hear the movie's great: http://amzn.to/1bcHfBh

Glenda | 11 comments I read this earlier this year and although it was interesting it was a bit too sci-fi for me. But most people love it.

Rebecca (purplerrr) | 76 comments I read this book when it first came out and reread it every couple of years. I now refuse to buy or read OSC because of his hateful political and personal views, but this book gets a pass for me since it was bought so long before I knew about them. Glad this gives me a chance to reread and review!

Donna Jo Atwood | 17 comments Several years ago I picked this book for discussion at our library book club. Everyone in the group had remarked that they would read "anything but science fiction". Turned out that they all liked the book well enough to finish it AND to comment on it. Turned out to be one of the better discussions we had.

Donna Jo wrote: "Several years ago I picked this book for discussion at our library book club. Everyone in the group had remarked that they would read "anything but science fiction". Turned out that they all like..."

I just finished it and I enjoyed it. I think he did a good job of anticipating some things - the use of tablets for example - and I certainly didn't guess the twist.

Camie Just starting this one. Remember my kids reading it in highschool years ago.

message 7: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Pearson (heatherpearson) | 6 comments Rebecca wrote: "I read this book when it first came out and reread it every couple of years. I now refuse to buy or read OSC because of his hateful political and personal views, but this book gets a pass for me si..."
I refuse to read any of his books nor will I see the movie. A person with such destructive moral views does not deserve such a forum. While he is capable of writing a good story, for me it doesn't overshadow his other public messages. Use any search engine and check Orson Scott Card homophobic and make your own decision. I do not advocate censorship, each reader is quite capable of making their own choice.

Heather wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "I read this book when it first came out and reread it every couple of years. I now refuse to buy or read OSC because of his hateful political and personal views, but this book gets ..."

I totally understand your point of view, Heather, and had I known about it before I chose the book I might have made the same choice. As it is, I enjoyed the book, but likely won't read anything else by him.

Camie I liked this it was a nice change. Retro Sci-fi. Heard movie is great.

Amanda | 10 comments I enjoyed this book way more than I thought I would. I wish I had a book club to read this with because there is a lot of areas for dicussion. I'm interested to see the movie now.

message 11: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy Stone | 1 comments This was a great book club read as the one I belonged to discussed boys and how they played. There are so many issues to discuss within these pages.