♥ Young Adult and New Adult Readers ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
GENRE SWAP > December 2013 Sign-Up

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (last edited Nov 24, 2013 02:11PM) (new)

Chelsea (chelc13) | 1467 comments Mod
Please read: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... before signing up.

Please remember that you CANNOT inform your partner what book you are sending them.

List your name, email address, whether you own a kindle or a nook (so that we can partner you with someone with that same device) and your favorite genre and your least favorite genre. Please also list whether you read YA, NA, or Adult more (hopefully since you are in this group you read some YA) (again so we can partner you with someone who reads the same, we don't want to give someone who only reads YA an Adult book).

Thanks,
Chelsea

List of Everyone Participating:
Chelsea
Camille
Elizabeth
Sarah
Lisa

message 2: by Chelsea (last edited Nov 25, 2013 10:06AM) (new)

Chelsea
horseluver4ever@rocketmail.com (this is just for lending my books - since my nook and kindle accounts are under it, it is not my usual email)
nook and kindle
YA
fav. - dystopian/post-apocalyptic
least fav. - contemporary, lgbt

note: I have nothing against lgbt, one of my best friend's is bi and I love her to death, but when it comes to books, I've just never been able to get into them as main characters (secondary characters that are lgbt, I have always adored!)

message 3: by Camille (new)

Camille Labanca (bailarlabanca) Camille
ctlabanca@gmail.com
kindle

YA, NA, Adult
fav. - YA, Chick Lit & NA like Abbi Glines, J.A. Redmerski, etc
least fav. - thriller

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) Elizabeth
oboechica88@gmail.com
kindle

Primarily YA, but I read all of them
fav - sci-fi/fantasy
least fav - I will NOT read horror books (Clive Barker and Neil Gaiman excluded, I can handle them)

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sar1386) | 11 comments Sarah
sarahlmartin1@yahoo.com
Kindle

Favourite: YA, Distopian, Fantasy, Post-apocalyptic, Some Contemporary

Least favourite: Thriller, Mystery, Crime

*How is this going to work? How will we be able to send books ect..? Hope it gets explained:)

message 6: by Chelsea (last edited Nov 23, 2013 07:13AM) (new)

Ok, so I don't know how it works on the actual device, but I cannot loan the books directly from my app, so I just logged into my amazon.com account, and went to manage books and there will be a list of your books, at the end it says action. You would just click loan title and you would just have to fill out the email address of the person you are sending it to.

If you have a nook, it's similar. There's a section in the nook for lending, and if you have the app, I would recommend just logging into bn.com, and going to your nook where you just roll your mouse over the picture of the book - do not click - and there will be a pop-up box that appears, click the lend me button.

Not all books on nook are lendable - I don't know if that is the same for the kindle or not.

On the nook, there is a timelimit for how quickly the book must be read: 14 days (you have 7 days to accept the book). On the kindle, I am unsure if there is a timelimit (if there isn't, try to complete if within the same time period that someone with a nook has to read it in.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 3 comments I think this sounds interesting and I think lending on kindle is 14 days as well.

Lisa
sweetsuzycsc@yahoo.com (I am not sure if this is the right email or not)
Device-Kindle

Favorites- Ya, Na, Science fiction, historical fiction, fantasy. I will read adult books as well like a good historical romance or something of that nature

Least- Horror, Thrillers, mystery (I have taken exceptions to these but not many). I do have trouble with contemporary fiction as well, its not that I don't like it, its I rather read something else.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sar1386) | 11 comments I don't know it this is because I'm from the UK but I don't get a lend tab like Chelsea mentioned on my amazon account. When I go to manage my kindle, then in the books tab if I click the actions drop down bar it says

-Deliver to (lists my devices)
-Clear furthest page read
-Delete from library
-Return for refund

Am I being dumb and doing something wrong?
I hope me being in the UK hasn't stopped me from participating:(

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 3 comments Sarah wrote: "I don't know it this is because I'm from the UK but I don't get a lend tab like Chelsea mentioned on my amazon account. When I go to manage my kindle, then in the books tab if I click the actions ..."

I know only certain books can be lent out and I know in app there is a tab for the lending library

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sar1386) | 11 comments hi lisa, they are not talking about the lending library but actually sending a book you own on you kindle to a fellow group member to read;)
i have done some research and only US residents can send loan books to one another, so i was thinking that if more UK OR NON USA MEMBERS OTHER THAN MYSELF want to do this maybe we could use the KINDLE OWNERS LENDING LIBRARY (the one lisa is speaking of) and choose a book from it for one another to read then each partner can go and download it.
it still gives us a surprise and includes everyone in the book swap:)

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
I'm not a moderater so i will have to see if they think it's a good idea

xSarahx

message 11: by Chelsea (last edited Nov 24, 2013 02:14PM) (new)

Ya, for those who have signed up and do not have an amazon account that can allow you to loan books, please inform me so that I know and can inform Heather when she pairs you guys up. Otherwise for those who have a USA Kindle account, you would just loan books the way specified and I will go update the How To section of this folder. :)

Thanks for letting me know about that Sarah!

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sar1386) | 11 comments No probs:)
Glad u liked the idea

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison Janezic (allilj) | 45 comments Is it only Prime members on Kindle that allows you to share books? I can't seem to share mine. Or borrow...

message 14: by Chelsea (new)

No, I don't have a Prime Account. Are you doing it directly from Kindle or from your amazon account? (I don't know if it's different)

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison Janezic (allilj) | 45 comments Kindle.

message 16: by Chelsea (last edited Nov 24, 2013 03:32PM) (new)

Ok, so I actually don't know how to lend books on the actual kindle device because I only have the app, but I go onto my amazon.com account. Then I roll my mouse over my name, and one of the things that I can click is Manage your Kindle, which should bring you to a list of your books. If you go to the end of the book, there should be a button that you can click which brings up a little list and one should be loan this book.

This is only available if you have an amazon.com account, but not an amazon.co.uk account. You would have to ask Sarah about it, because she would know more about how to use the lending library for that.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sar1386) | 11 comments Hi guys, the lending library is only for amazon prime members but you can get the first months membership free and if you buy a lot or plan to buy things from amazon then them prime membership is well worth it.

message 18: by Chelsea (new)

Unless of course you are in my spot where I get all of my money from my parents and they are not very willing to buy another prime account (and I'm not allowed to use theirs lol). I guess it's good that I only ever "buy" free books :)

message 19: by Allison (new)

Allison Janezic (allilj) | 45 comments I may get a Prime account at tax time.

message 20: by Chelsea (last edited Nov 27, 2013 12:57PM) (new)

I'm closing the sign-up and pairing the four of you guys since Heather isn't able to do it right now. I will email everyone with who there partner is, and a reminder of what books they prefer and don't prefer. I'm going to open up a thread for feedback once you guys are finished to let me know what you think of this event.

Allison, if you are planning to do it, please send me a message because I wasn't positive if you were or not because you didn't list the information :) but I don't want you to miss out either.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.