All About Books discussion

The Game of Kings (The Lymond Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Game of Kings
Readalongs > 2014 Lymond series (Leslie, Elisa, Zorro, LauraT, Jane, Harper, Katherine & ?)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 368 (368 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Leslie (last edited Jan 19, 2014 09:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leslie | 15985 comments This thread is for reading (or rereading) the 6 book Lymond series by Dorothy Dunnett. For those unfamiliar with this wonderful historical fiction, set in the early 1500s, here are the books:

The Game of Kings   Jan. - Feb.
Queens' Play   March-April
The Disorderly Knights   May - June
Pawn in Frankincense   July - Aug.
The Ringed Castle   Sep. - Oct.
Checkmate   Nov. - Dec.

I suggest one book every other month, although I could be persuaded into one each month for 6 months. Edit: Every other month has been decided upon. Schedule is above.

Elisa, do you have a preference? And do you want to read the first book, The Game of Kings, in January or wait and start in Feb.?

message 2: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11576 comments Mod
Good luck, they sound quite interesting.

Elisa | 206 comments I would love to be able to read one every other month, but knowing myself and my deep love for Francis Crawford I cannot guarantee that. I can try though!
January is fine by me, to kick off the new year with style :-)

Zorro (zorrom) I would like to re-read the Lymond Chronicles with you.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Sounds really tempting Leslie! I won't have the time to join, but Dorothy Dunnett will definitely be put on my list of authors to try.

Leslie | 15985 comments Zorro wrote: "I would like to re-read the Lymond Chronicles with you."

Yay! Another fan :)

LauraT (laurata) | 13144 comments Mod
If I can find the books ...

Found them!!! I'm in!!!
It would have been better if I could find them as audiobboks being in January engaged in my moving, but I hope to be able to read something anyway!!!

Jane (beyondedenrock) I've been collecting these books for a while and I'd love to join in.

message 10: by Leslie (last edited Nov 26, 2013 08:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leslie | 15985 comments Jane wrote: "I've been collecting these books for a while and I'd love to join in."

Great! The more, the merrier :)

And perhaps I should mention (not specifically to Jane, but all), folks should feel free to join in for just one book. You don't have to read the entire series unless you want to!

Leslie | 15985 comments LauraT wrote: "Found them!!! I'm in!!!
It would have been better if I could find them as audiobboks being in January engaged in my moving, but I hope to be able to read something anyway!!!"

I have been told that some but not all of the series is available as audiobook. But unless my library has them, I will be reading my tattered paperbacks!

I won't even look in my library!!!!

Elisa | 206 comments I've done it, after promising myself many times that I would resist, I actually did not: I bought the entire series in paperback (2nd hand). Which per se is not a weird thing, but one should consider that I already own them in hardcover (in Italian), ebooks and audiobooks (English). But then again, they are SOOO cheap on Amazon marketplace, and it is SOOO nice to have the real book in your hand!
I also bought The Oxford History of Britain, to refresh my memory while reading the Chronicles. Again, obsessive behaviour, but Lymond is worth it

Leslie | 15985 comments Elisa wrote: "I've done it, after promising myself many times that I would resist, I actually did not: I bought the entire series in paperback (2nd hand). Which per se is not a weird thing, but one should consid..."

Ha ha ha ha! A nice Xmas gift for yourself :)

Harper (harpermack) | 3 comments Hullo to all, I'm interested in trying out the Lymond series, have had the books and been meaning to try them for awhile. I think I might manage a book every other month.

Good! The more the merrier!

Leslie | 15985 comments Harper wrote: "Hullo to all, I'm interested in trying out the Lymond series, have had the books and been meaning to try them for awhile. I think I might manage a book every other month."

I think that the every other month format will work for me too. Elisa will just have to restrain herself! (kidding ☺)

Leslie | 15985 comments Only a few more weeks until we start!! I am getting excited :-)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

This looks right up my street and I really want to give the first one a go but I'm struggling to find a copy! My library doesn't have it (it has the first 3 in audiobook but I'm not a fan of that format), it's £18 on amazon for the paperback (not cheaper used either) and I can't find it on other bookshops. The kindle is £6 but I resent paying that much for ebooks. I will resort to that if necessary but has anybody seen it anywhere in the UK for a good price?

Leslie | 15985 comments Heather wrote: "This looks right up my street and I really want to give the first one a go but I'm struggling to find a copy! My library doesn't have it (it has the first 3 in audiobook but I'm not a fan of that f..."

Have you looked at some of the used book links (half.com, alibris, etc)? I can find it used pretty cheap here in the US so I think that you should be able to find them in the U.K.

Elisa mentioned buying used copies a few weeks ago...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

It seems really expensive in most shops of the online places delivering to the UK. I think it's no longer printed by the publisher. I have just found a copy on eBay for £3.20 which I've ordered and if I like it I will have to start looking early for the next one!

message 22: by Katherine (new) - added it

Katherine | 59 comments I'd like join you in reading the Lymond Chronicles.

I've read The Game of Kings several times but have yet to launch myself off into the rest of the the series. Next year seems like a great time to end the reproach of those neglected volumes sitting unread on my shelf.

Leslie | 15985 comments Katherine wrote: "I'd like join you in reading the Lymond Chronicles.

I've read The Game of Kings several times but have yet to launch myself off into the rest of the the series. Next year seems like..."

Great! You can either reread The Game of Kings with us in January or wait and join us in March for Queens' Play.

Elisa | 206 comments Hello Lymond-fans! Sorry for being so absent but I have been madly busy with Xmas parties (Brits are very serious about the Xmas parties I've discovered!) and I am flying to Italy this afternoon. Just a quick reply and then a more elaborate one will follow: I bought the whole Lymond series on Amazon marketplace (the UK one) for 0.17/0.50 p a book plus 2.80 pounds shipping fee. I got the USA version because years ago I bought The Game of Kings in a second hand shop in Chicago, and I liked the idea of having them all in the same edition looking pretty on the bookshelf. Basically for 5 books I've spent less than 15 pounds. They are not new, but in a decent state. I also have ebooks and audiobooks which I got from an American online shop which does not exist anymore unfortunately. In a nutshell, look at the US market, they are cheaper!!

Sayri (sfraijo) | 4 comments I am so in! Been meaning to do this and it would be awesome as a group read (my first). I also vote for one each month, I don't think I could wait that long for another dose of Lymond! But I will definitely try, cheers!!

Leslie | 15985 comments Glad to have you join us Sayri! And welcome to the group :)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Elisa. They aren't that cheap at the moment but I'll keep looking

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

My eBay copy of the first book has shipped so I should be joining in, yay!

Elisa | 206 comments This year my countdown will be not for the new year, but for what January 1st means: I can start reading the Lymond Chronicles AGAIN!
Hurray!!

Leslie | 15985 comments Elisa wrote: "This year my countdown will be not for the new year, but for what January 1st means: I can start reading the Lymond Chronicles AGAIN!
Hurray!!"

LOL! How many times have you read it Elisa?

Elisa | 206 comments Leslie wrote: "Elisa wrote: "This year my countdown will be not for the new year, but for what January 1st means: I can start reading the Lymond Chronicles AGAIN!
Hurray!!"

LOL! How many times have you read it E..."

only two, this will only be my third!

Leslie | 15985 comments I am not sure whether this will be my third or my fourth reread of this series... but my first reading of it was in the late 1970s so I have had a lot of time to spread that over!

You're really making me curious about them!!!!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

My ebay copy turned up this morning, it looks very interesting and I'm looking forward to reading it

Cathy | 1 comments I hope that I'm not too late to join! I'll be rereading the LC with the group. The series is one of my all-time favorites, but it's been a few years since my last rereading. I'm thrilled to get a chance to share the experience with others!

Leslie | 15985 comments Cathy wrote: "I hope that I'm not too late to join! I'll be rereading the LC with the group. The series is one of my all-time favorites, but it's been a few years since my last rereading. I'm thrilled to get ..."

Not too late at all!! I am struggling to finish my December books so haven't even started yet. Glad you can share this with us! :)

Not started it as well; I'll take some 10 days more ...

message 38: by Leslie (last edited Jan 07, 2014 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leslie | 15985 commentsThe Game of Kings Readalong is now Open!

I couldn't wait any longer, despite my pile of library books & group reads! So I have started - and I think my daily dose of Tudor history will be a nice side touch :-)

I have used the white chess king as the symbol for this book, but perhaps the black one would be more appropriate? Here is the blank king symbol ♚

message 39: by Zorro (last edited Jan 07, 2014 11:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zorro (zorrom) Leslie wrote: "♔ The Game of Kings Readalong is now Open!

I couldn't wait any longer, despite my pile of library books & group reads! So I have started - and I think my daily dose of Tudor history..."

Where do I find the thread or folder? I don't see the white chess king symbol. At the "Here it is", I see a box only. Do we discuss the book right here in this thread?

message 40: by Leslie (last edited Jan 07, 2014 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leslie | 15985 comments Zorro wrote: "Leslie wrote: "♔ The Game of Kings Readalong is now Open!

I couldn't wait any longer, despite my pile of library books & group reads! So I have started - and I think my daily dose o..."

Sorry - I recently discovered how to put in dingbats, which probably don't show up in the mobile apps... I was just being a bit silly.

yes, we are discussing the book here in this thread.

I find that with all the things to do I won't be able of starting it before next week: The Golden Notebook is longer than I thought and a bit more complicated...

Leslie | 15985 comments LauraT wrote: "I find that with all the things to do I won't be able of starting it before next week: The Golden Notebook is longer than I thought and a bit more complicated..."

I have that on my to-read pile from the library...

message 43: by Kristi (new) - added it

Kristi (kristilarson) | 376 comments I'm excited to join this readalong! My friend recommended the series to me long ago, so she will be thrilled to learn that I'm finally reading it. I don't know if it has already been decided or not, but I would prefer the every other month format. I haven't gotten a copy of the book yet but will on my next visit to the library.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I've started and I love Lymond as a character. I am finding it quite hard going at times, having to re-read passages but I am enjoying it immensely. Hoping to get more read tomorrow when I'm not working as much

Leslie | 15985 comments Glad you are joining us Kristi! I have decided that every other month works best for me - people can always read ahead if they want :)

@Heather - I too find it difficult in places, especially the foreign language and medieval English bits. Since I have read it before, I feel more comfortable about skipping them this time...

I hope to finish Part One tonight :)

Leslie | 15985 comments I have finished Part Two today. Are Heather and I the only ones who have started?

message 47: by Katherine (new) - added it

Katherine | 59 comments I'm hoping to start in a week, have to finish up another book first.

Leslie | 15985 comments Katherine wrote: "I'm hoping to start in a week, have to finish up another book first."

OK, I will hold off on comments for a while then...

message 49: by Katherine (new) - added it

Katherine | 59 comments Leslie wrote: "OK, I will hold off on comments for a while then..."

Leslie, are there others who have not started yet? Don't wait simply on my account, I've read it before. I can easily join in when I catch up.

Leslie | 15985 comments Katherine wrote: "Leslie wrote: "OK, I will hold off on comments for a while then..."

Leslie, are there others who have not started yet? Don't wait simply on my account, I've read it before. I can easily join in wh..."

I think that there are others also. It is no problem waiting!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8