Clean Reads for Mormon Teenagers discussion

Writing > Looking for writing to edit....

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Colby Hey, y'all. For most of my life, I've wanted to be an author. Recently, however, I've realized I really enjoy editing. I would like to edit more writing. I've wondered how to find more things to edit, because I'd like them to be clean and all, but I didn't really know how. I edit papers and chapters for some of my friends already. But anyway, I would love to edit any of your writing.
I edit speeches, papers, short stories, articles, and I would love to edit a book. I am pretty good at line editing, which is getting the sentences to flow well. I would like to try my hand at editing a book for major things but none of my close friends have finished a book yet, so I have not had that pleasure. I can also help you figure out where you want the story to go if you have an idea that isn't fully developed yet.
I would be willing to not only edit it once, but work with you on it to make it better for several edits if you would like that.
Yep, that's it in a nutshell. I do have a life, so while I could edit something that's a few pages in a day or two, a full-length book would definitely take much longer.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. :)

message 2: by Rashae (new)

Rashae Hi, I just wanted to say that I have come to the same conclusion. While writing never was a strong suit of mine, I have a knack for editing. Although I do not have quite as much experience as Emily, I would love to be a second option if she is busy with another text. Thank you and happy writing! Happy editing to Emily!

message 3: by Thalia (last edited Nov 23, 2013 11:44AM) (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 125 comments Emily (and Rashae), I would recommend writing more reviews for the books you read. I started reviewing as a hobby, and it eventually led me to discover my love of editing and now I want to be an editor for YA. Reviewing brings you much closer to authors and publishers, and once you develop a few relationships there, you can try asking around for advanced copies, or ask authors if you can beta-read for them. (: I've had the pleasure of beta-reading a couple of books, and have edited two (working on three right now). It's great exposure to show everyone that you can point out that those when you've finished a book, and then work backwards in the publishing process.

Best of luck! (:

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily Colby That is great advice, Thalia. Thank you!
Rashae, I love it when there are others who share somewhat similar experiences to my own. And by the way, I love your name!

message 5: by Rashae (last edited Nov 24, 2013 01:49PM) (new)

Rashae Yes, thank you for the advice. As I have had little experience with this, anything helps. :)
And thank you Emily for the kind comment! I also love it when I can share similarities with someone else!

Thalia, by writing reviews, do you suggest writing them first, and afterwards asking an author if you might edit, and showing your reviews as experience? Or would you review books as practice? Or both?
I apologize for all of the questions. I'm just exciting to be talking to someone who actually knows what they are doing! :)

message 6: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 125 comments Hahah, don't worry about it. (: I love helping out when I can!

I actually started reviewing a couple years ago, on a whim. I heard about someone getting free books from publishers, and I was in. XD Really, it's just setting up a blog or an account here (or both) and then just...talking about books when you read them, what their weaknesses and strengths are and giving it a rating. Once you establish yourself a little bit, you could also set up an account with www.netgalley.com. They offer e-ARCs (advanced review copies).

I didn't know I wanted to be an editor when I started writing reviews--it was just something that I realized I loved doing along the way. There are lots of "read to review" groups where indie authors will offer copies of their books in exchange for reviews. After you write a few reviews on your own for books you've been reading, you could go there and sign up. That's kind of what I mean by "working your way backwards"--you have to start with books that are already published and review those, and then you can work your way up to ARCs (NetGalley is great for that, especially beginners--and they also offer a comment to the publisher section when you send your Feedback, and you can note any grammatical or issues that you found that you think will help improve the final copy), and then you can eventually find your way in the writing process itself. (: I happened to get an ARC of one of Janet Gurtler's books before it was released, and after I wrote my review, she asked me to beta read the book she was currently working on. And likewise, I just finsihed a review for a self-published author that had a ton of grammatical errors, and through a mutual friend, I'm now their official (and paid, woot woot!) editor. (:

It's difficult if you're looking for something faster, or aren't trying to set up a career in editing, because it can be rather time-consuming. My blog is what I "do" now, and I'm often reading more books for other people than what I pick out myself, hahah. But it's satisfying and fulfilling if that's what you're looking into, as a field. (: If you establish connections on NetGalley and then with individual self-published authors (and perhaps put in your profile here/on your blog that you're willing to beta-edit/read for free), you can eventually attract the sort of thing you're looking for. It's really exciting the first time you're able to do it, heheh. (:

Feel free to ask any questions. I started reviewing when I was sixteen and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing! My only other tip is to make sure you review almost everything you read--books you loved, books you hated, books that are in between. I think publishers and other authors like to see that you won't sugar coat the way you feel and are willing to say what you think would improve the writing or make the book better as a whole. (:

(Here's my blog, in case you're interested in seeing how it's set up: http://www.thaliasbooks.tumblr.com)

message 7: by Rashae (new)

Rashae Thank you very much! That helped infinitely and I will definitely take your advice.

message 8: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 125 comments No problem! (: Feel free to talk to me any time!

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily Colby Thank you! I am going to do that.

message 10: by Alexxa (new)

Alexxa Reynolds (alexxa111) Anyone want to look over my web site for me and see if there are any problems? Another set of eyes would be nice :)

http://adreamcometrueparty4.wix.com/m...

message 11: by Rashae (last edited Nov 27, 2013 09:20AM) (new)

Rashae I would love to do this, so here is what I have found so far. This is still yours, so I'm not trying to take it over, just trying to help. And anyone else who wants to help, the more the merrier!

In the folder Princess Visits, I would place a comma after 'Nothing planned...' to separate the two subjects.

On the first paragraph of the FAQ/Policies page, recommend and accommodate are spelled incorrectly.

On the first question for the FAQ etc. page, where are you located in the first place? Are you going to travel across oceans?

On the second question positive is spelled wrong and I would also try and use first person as little as possible. Stick to 'we' and things like that. Also on the same section number 14, don't end your sentence with 'at'. That is incorrect grammar.

On the question 'How do I pay for my party?' remaining is spelled wrong and arrival also.

Arrival spelled wrong in 'Performer's Arrival' twice, and use 'at' instead of 'as' after window.

On 'Multiple Characters/Princesses' accommodate is spelled wrong twice, and use it instead of if at the beginning of the second sentence.

Accommodate spelling again in 'Where should I hold my Event/Party?'

Space between 'shade' and 'for' in 'Outdoor Parties' and between 'in' and 'case'.

In 'What if I need to reschedule etc..' accommodate and receive spelled incorrectly.

In 'Why are all of your Characters...costs different?' second sentence did you want to use 'fully' instead of 'full'?

In 'When do you do parties?' I would change the second 'do'. It is kind of repetitive. Also in the second sentence change 'toat' to that. And experience is spelled wrong. And event/party should be capitalized because it is every where else.

To cut down on the worry that this will have an error, I will post now and finish in the next post. These are all recommendations. I don't want you to think that I am telling you what to do. :)

message 12: by Rashae (last edited Nov 27, 2013 09:21AM) (new)

Rashae In 'Last Minute Emergencies' extreme is spelled incorrectly.

In 'Do you ever do other events etc..' Corporate is spelled incorrectly as well as holidays, restaurants, and receptions. I would also change the second 'do' to something else, because it's repetitive.

In 'Final Count etc..' Capitalize event/party.

I have to go, but I will be back and finish this as soon as possible.

message 13: by Alexxa (new)

Alexxa Reynolds (alexxa111) Thanks! I wrote it all up at my weekend night job and was super tired when I did it lol--as you can see. I'm really bad at spelling and I know it's super important! Thank you for your conments. ((Oh, and yes, I will travel across oceans if they would like ;) ))

message 14: by Rashae (last edited Nov 27, 2013 09:24AM) (new)

Rashae Haha your welcome! I love doing this, and am glad for the opportunity. You might want to specify that you could really travel anywhere. :)

So here is the rest of it that I have found:

In 'Atmospheres and Party Conditions' in the third sentence, I would take out performers completely and leave performance because you are talking about their performance already and you don't need to repeat their ownership of it. Fifth sentence needs to be capitalized. On the last sentence hearing is spelled wrong.

In 'Liability' balloons is spelled incorrectly.

On the last sentence in 'Note' it should be 'you' not 'your'.

I also tried to search for your website without using the link you posted, but I couldn't seem to find it. So make sure when people search it, they know what they are looking for.

Thanks again! I am so glad to do this and let Emily or me know about anything else. I love the website and it sounds like a lot of fun!

message 15: by Alexxa (new)

Alexxa Reynolds (alexxa111) Awesome thanks! Lol you can tell I was obviously tired when I wrote all of that LOL! Thanks again!

message 16: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/...

I hope this link works. This is my story that I am typing on goodreads and I didn't want to hog all the space by copy and pasting. :) Comments, questions, criticism, etc. welcome!

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily Colby Okay! Sounds good, Bridgette! I will look at it soon-ish. :)

message 18: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette Great!

message 19: by Rashae (new)

Rashae Alexxa wrote: "Awesome thanks! Lol you can tell I was obviously tired when I wrote all of that LOL! Thanks again!"

Anytime!

message 20: by Rashae (new)

Rashae Bridgette, I'm not looking to edit this one because it looks like Emily's got it covered, but I will read it. Just for the sake of enjoyment :)

message 21: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette Rashae wrote: "Bridgette, I'm not looking to edit this one because it looks like Emily's got it covered, but I will read it. Just for the sake of enjoyment :)"

Thank you!

message 22: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette Daniel wrote: "I have a YA novel that I'm writing and was wondering if there was someone that could give me some feedback on it. The thing about writing something is that when you read it to yourself, you don't n..."

I would love to give you some feedback!

message 23: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette Daniel wrote: "I have a YA novel that I'm writing and was wondering if there was someone that could give me some feedback on it. The thing about writing something is that when you read it to yourself, you don't n..."

I would love to give you feedback!

message 24: by Rashae (new)

Rashae I would as well!

message 25: by Rashae (new)

Rashae I can only send you a message if I add you as a friend. Is that what you would like? It would have to be temporary.

message 26: by Rashae (new)

Rashae Let's do five and go from there.

message 27: by Rashae (new)

Rashae Yes, it is quiet around here, and for me, yes it's because I'm busy. I will finally get around to everything in the next week though! I'll send you my email. Thanks!

message 28: by D.R. (last edited Dec 30, 2013 07:22PM) (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) Rashae and Bridgette, I have opened my blog for public access, so you should be able to read the story in its entirety by going to http://fogheimer.blogspot.com I would love to hear any comments you may have. Thanks.

message 29: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) Storytelling may predate writing, but it is what storytelling has evolved into. It is the fantastic process of transferring what is in our minds to other minds across both the void that separates us and time itself. Reading the Book of Mormon allows us to hear the thoughts that were in the minds of our brothers and sisters in the distant past. Stories told by our ancestor's journals, allow them to speak to us today. We can do that as well.

message 30: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) We need some short stories to practice editing on. See if you can make them at least 1500 words long so those here that want to do some editing can have some fun. :)

message 31: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette Daniel wrote: "Storytelling may predate writing, but it is what storytelling has evolved into. It is the fantastic process of transferring what is in our minds to other minds across both the void that separates u..."

In the future I bet you someone will quote that!! :D

message 32: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) Bridgette wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Storytelling may predate writing, but it is what storytelling has evolved into. It is the fantastic process of transferring what is in our minds to other minds across both the void t..."

Hey! Its been a while. Glad you are back.

message 33: by Rashae (new)

Rashae Hello everyone! Finally some time to reconvene and settle down. I repeat what Daniel has said. Short stories for editing would be wonderful! A win-win situation I think.

message 34: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) There are only two weeks left to read my story at http://fogheimer.blogspot.com. Starting on February 1st, it will no longer be publicly accessible. At that time, I will begin the publication process. I want to again thank everyone that has contributed advice. It has all been greatly appreciated. If I actually do sell more than one copy, I will make sure I send each of you a signed one. :)

message 35: by Rashae (new)

Rashae Great! That would be amazing. Speaking of reading it, I promise I will get to that sometime...this week...hopefully.

message 36: by Karen (new)

Karen Shiffer | 1 comments Good luck Daniel. I'm sure we're all pulling for you!

message 37: by Miranda (last edited Jan 25, 2014 07:25AM) (new)

Miranda | 19 comments I've been looking for viewers to critique my writing. I have three blogs with no comments yet. I also have writing prompts for any writers out there who need inspiration. Would anyone be interested?

http://mlorainenunnallypoetry.blogspo...
http://mlorainenunnallywritingprompts...
http://mlorainenunnallynovelistdiscus...

Btw, that last one is just a place where I journal my experiences as a writer.

message 38: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) Miranda wrote: "I've been looking for viewers to critique my writing. I have three blogs with no comments yet. I also have writing prompts for any writers out there who need inspiration. Would anyone be interested..."

Kudos on your blog! Nice poetry!