Children's Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Children's Movies - Archive > Children's Movies worth recommending that are not based on a book

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 160 comments Please use this thread as an option to mention and discuss children's movies you would recommend that are not based on a novel. It would also be helpful to add what you believe the ages that you think are a) appropriate for viewing as well as b) are relevant to the viewing experience.

message 2: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 5777 comments Mod
I'm very curious if anyone has seen the new Miyazaki film, "The Wind Rises"? I usually love the Studio Ghibli films but this one doesn't sound like a plot that is really appealing to kids...?

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 25, 2013 02:59PM) (new)

It hasn't been released in the U.S. yet, Kathryn; not sure if it's made it to Europe yet, either.

I don't think it would appeal to kids like Ponyo or Kiki's Delivery Service, but he's made other films aimed at an older audience before this. Even Howl's Moving Castle has elements that are not really suitable for the younger viewers, imo.

I am looking forward to this one. Have you seen Poppy Hill?

message 4: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

It hasn't?! I read a review in a US magazine but I guess I didn't pay attention to release date.

No, I haven't seen "Poppy Hill"--do you recommend it?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies...

I guess it had a very limited release in subbed version to get a nod for the Oscar nominations.

I haven't seen Poppy Hill yet, either. It's Miyazaki -- I should just buy it.

Which of his films have you seen, because I can recommend some others if you like?

message 6: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks, Jeannette! My favorites are Arrietty, Kiki's and humm maybe Castle in the Sky.

I also liked Totoro, Ponyo, Howl's, and Spirited Away.

Did NOT like Princess Mononoke (sp?) -- too violent for my taste.

Another one I enjoyed but I don't remember if it is Ghibli is "Whisper of the Heart".

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

"Whisper of the Heart" is one of my favorites. It is a companion to "The Cat Returns" which is silly in a fun way. You might also enjoy "Porco Rosso"

message 8: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Great! Thank you so much :-)

message 9: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2335 comments Mod
Just a reminder that "Howl's Moving Castle" is based on a book for young adults:
Howl's Moving Castle

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Beverly wrote: "Just a reminder that "Howl's Moving Castle" is based on a book for young adults:
Howl's Moving Castle"

Thanks, Bev. It's one of my favorite books. :)

message 11: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

Jeannette wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Just a reminder that "Howl's Moving Castle" is based on a book for young adults:
Howl's Moving Castle"

Thanks, Bev. It's one of my favorite books. :)"

One of my all-time favorites as well. I especially loved the scene with the seven league boots; it was hilarious!

message 12: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_steinbach) | 4 comments I loved 'Secondhand Lions', as well as 'The Secret of Kells'. I think it is still on Netflix, and it is so beautifully animated! Both would require adult supervision, probably best for 9-10 years old and up. Secondhand Lions has some violence and language. The Secret of Kells also has some violence (it has vikings!) and scary scenes. As for Miyazaki, I enjoyed 'The Cat Returns' as well as 'Pom Poko'! Pom Poko has a powerful heartbreaking message about nature, it is such a unique film and deserves more praise. I also loved the book Howl's Moving Castle! It is very different from the film, more lighthearted with great humor. It was so transporting to read. I also read 'The Borrowers' which Arietty is based on, and I recommend the book! I liked it better than the film.
I am probably the only person who doesn't enjoy Spirited Away. :p It's certainly not my favorite. Except for Haku's character and his relationship with Chihiro. My favorite Miyazaki film is probably Ponyo. :) I didn't like Porco Rosso. I only liked some parts of Castle in the Sky but overall found it depressing. I like the romance and magic of Howl's Moving Castle but also found it depressing. Same with Princess Mononoke. I think the romance and story was incredible but it was also so depressing and stressful I don't think I could watch it again. Whisper of the Heart is so sweet! I do like that one. And Kiki's Delivery Service is enjoyable although I think there are too many shots of her underwear. :p I just read that Kiki's Delivery Service IS based on a novel, and there is going to be a live action version of it next year! :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiki%27s...

message 13: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Thinking about seeing Enders Game with DS but it is pg 13. What is the name of that site that rates violence for kids? Thanks in advance.

message 14: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments We saw Poppy Hill recently. I waited til it came out on DVD so we could see it in English. (We are in Japan.) I am so glad I waited.

It is a VERY visually beautiful movie and evokes long ago Japan. However, the plot twist was just too.......weird for me. My son did not like the movie. Much, much too slow and feminine for him. Much. LOL

Really want to see Frozen! We did not see The Wind Rises, wanted to see it, but did not. Again waiting to see it in English. The new one out is based on a Japanese folktale. It looks beautiful, but my son refuses to watch it because it looks too girly. ((((Sigh))))

message 15: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments By the way, my son's favorite Japanese kids movies never make it to the United States. Kamen Rider, Doraemon, Crayon Shinchan. Those big three churn out movies that he loves. Much more typically "Kid" than Ghibli.

message 16: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

Kirei wrote: "Thinking about seeing Enders Game with DS but it is pg 13. What is the name of that site that rates violence for kids? Thanks in advance."

Focus on the Family has a movie review service called Plugged In. The reviews rate the movies and tell potential viewers about any violence, sex and profanity the movies may contain.

message 17: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments That was not the site I was thinking of, but thanks anyway. Here is the link to it: http://www.pluggedin.com/

message 18: by Anne (new)

Anne Nydam | 124 comments You could try "Common Sense Media." http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie...

message 19: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Yes, that is the site! Thank you!

message 20: by Lauren (last edited Aug 31, 2017 07:12AM) (new)

Lauren Pierre | 22 comments So much anime in this thread, oh my gosh XD

Anyway, a really great movie partially-based on real events is Zarafa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zarafa_... ). The DVD cover caught my attention at Target, thus leading to me begging my family to do a movie night, lol. It was so worth it!

My personal rating would be 8+ as a lot of heavy topics are covered (slavery, drug addiction, death) but other than that it's a beautiful move with a remarkable plot!

EDIT: I did not realize how old this thread was. Let's BRING IT BACK!

message 21: by Harley (new)

Harley Bennett | 42 comments These are all PG:

Akeelah and the Bee
Flight of the Navigator
Walt Disney's The Kid

message 22: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1515 comments Has anyone else seen Over the Moon on Netflix? It's a very Disney-esque story but not from Disney. The animation in modern day China was outstanding. I liked the folklore about the moon goddess, intelligent Fei Fei and even annoying Chin Chin who is nephew #1's personality twin LOL! I did not like the candy colored moon world but the ending was sappy enough to satisfy any adult. It felt like something my tween nieces would write with annoying input from their little brothers and finished off by my sister, a school psychologist or some other knowing adult who know how to deal with kids and grief.

It's nominated for awards but naturally can't compete with Pixar. I didn't care for Soul all that much. It was slow to start then rushed at the end. That kind of music isn't really my thing. I prefer the Broadway style songs of Over the Moon.

message 23: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

QNPoohBear wrote: "Has anyone else seen Over the Moon on Netflix? It's a very Disney-esque story but not from Disney. The animation in modern day China was outstanding. I liked the folklore about the moon goddess, in..."

No, but it sounds good, and I'll put it on my to watch list.

message 24: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

QNPoohBear wrote: "Has anyone else seen Over the Moon on Netflix? It's a very Disney-esque story but not from Disney. The animation in modern day China was outstanding. I liked the folklore about the moon goddess, in..."

Not yet but it's on my list -- glad to know you enjoyed it :-)

message 25: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1515 comments I watched Over the Moon on my own. It's a bit much for a younger viewer because it does deal with the death of Fei Fei's mother and her grief. Plus there's a tense flying to the moon sequence (view spoiler) Also (view spoiler)

message 26: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 6257 comments Mod
Please add new conversations to the chat topic here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
We need to archive this folder, as Jasmine is no longer monitoring it and the folders list here is too disorganized.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.