World Mysteries and Thrillers discussion

Random Chats > What do you get out of reading a world mystery and thriller book?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone. I am just curious, as a reader, what do you get out of reading a world mystery and thriller book?

I am asking this because I am curious what different things we get from reading these kinds of books.

Thanks for your time.

message 2: by Anna, Moderator & Founder (new)

Anna (aetm) | 250 comments Mod
The same as reading any good police procedural, thriller, or other crime story. Except it's located somewhere else, so I also get a feel of people, places, and things that are far far away. :)

However, that requires that the writer has a deep understanding and feel for the places and characters. Too often that doesn't just cut it for me - if it feels like the story could have happened anywhere, or there is nothing for the characters or in their past. Especially if something is supposed to have happened in a different era a long time ago.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

That's a lot of interesting criteria for individual book reviewing. Thanks for the time sharing your thoughts Anna.

message 4: by miteypen (new)

miteypen | 16 comments I agree with Anna: if the mystery and character development are good then I don't mind so much, but it's disappointing to read a world mystery/crime novel where you don't get a sense of place. I want to feel as if I've travelled there, as if I can feel the climate, see the buildings, gotten to know the people. I suppose that's one reason why I like novels set in Canada or the Scandinavian countries, especially in winter, because it's so different from what I experience where I live. I also really like to get a sense of the political situation and social structure and problems.

Having said all that, though, I suppose what I like the most is finding out that people are pretty much the same the world over, no matter where they come from. I think that's what attracts me to crime novels in general. They show that all people are motivated by fear, greed, anger, hate--even love--as they commit and try to cover up their crimes/sins.

Good topic, NYKen! Now, please tell us what your thoughts are: why do YOU like reading world mysteries?

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I like seeing how different cultures and different police/legal systems work.