11/22/63 11/22/63 discussion

11/22/13

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kressel Housman Since today is the 50th anniversary of the assassination, I thought I'd start this thread. And though I haven't done as much research on the topic as Stephen King, I suspect Lee Harvey Oswald didn't act alone. He was a communist, and Kennedy had just made the Russians back off in Cuba. No doubt that made him a lot of enemies.

Post whatever you like. It doesn't have to be about conspiracy theories. It can be more of a tribute to the man if you prefer.

Frederick Very good read, sad day.

MARILYN Very sad day. I also read the book which is one of my SK favorites. It's on sale for the Kindle today for $2.99. If you like time travel read it, I loved it.

Harold Kasselman I'm old enough to be able to say that in a sense I met JFK in Late September of 1960. He was appearing at the Belleview Stratford hotel in Phila. Pa. I was a junior in HS. My 6'4" friend jack and I went there in the early evening about 6PM to try and get a glimpse. A security guard tipped us off that he'd be coming out of a room on a certain floor at 6:30 towards another meeting. I climbed jack's back(I was 5'8" then) when the door of a conference room opened and there he was surrounded by aides etc.
We got close enough to him because of the tip that I was able to pat him on the shoulder and say, "Go get him Mr. President"(6 weeks before the election). I'd like to say that he spoke to me, but he did smile.
He was much more handsome than he appeared on TV. He wore a navy blue pin striped suit and had dusty brown hair. I swear, his shoulders appeared to have a glowing light upon them. It was a moment I shall never ever forget. Nor will I ever forget this day. What a tragedy for the country and for all who believed in him.

Speee1dy i read this book and love the alternate ending had he lived.
i have also read killing kennedy.

these are the only two books i have read to form my opinion on.

most people i know think there was a conspiracy. me, i am not sure

Harold Kasselman Speee1dy, I don't know how old you are but the records of the entire investigation were sealed for 75 years from 1963. That means in 25 years you may find out if the mob, Castro, Russia, or Oswald alone killed him.

Speee1dy i was 1 when he was shot.

Harold Kasselman You should make it. Tell me what happens because I won't be there.

Kevin Tragic events, but I believe 11/22/63 to be the finest book of Stephen King's career. It was amazing and poetic at times. The story moved me in ways King never has, much like the events of the assassination did for those who experienced the horrific events live.

message 10: by Tash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tash Dahling As an Australian, and not even being born when JFK was assassinated I was actually quite reluctant to read this book. I wonder how it could be relevant to my experiences.
I'm so pleased I got passed that thought, because this book may be the finest work by Mr King in 15 years.

Speee1dy i agree, i stopped reading king books back in the early 80's. this was the first book of his i read since then. i thought it was an excellent book. then i read under the dome, which was good too. i still have duma key to read.

message 12: by Gail (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gail Rees Harold, what a brilliant story - to have actually seen JFK in person, my word! Also I did not know about the investigation records being sealed for 75 years, I am 48 now so, God willing, I may be in with a chance of being around when they are released. I am fascinated with the whole affair - and I have to admit that Stephen King has been the root of this fascination. I stopped reading Stephen King years ago, but I had a free trial of Audible (the audio books) and downloaded 11.22.63 as it sounded like an interesting theory - what if JFK didn't die? This is one of my all time favourite books now and I still return to it to listen to if I am out walking etc. I am not sure if the narrator (who was completely brilliant) enhanced the story or if I would have fallen in love with the book so much if I had read it, but anyone who gets a chance to listen to it on audio please do so - it is wonderful - and the love story within so poignant and touching. I would say definitely Stephen King's finest moment to date. With books of this length - under the dome, duma key, dreamwatchers, I find it much easier to listen to them while out or doing boring housework etc. Just plug your earphones in and off you go into wonderful Stephen King worlds! Bliss.

My son who is 13 watched the videos of the assassination and is of the opinion that there was a second shooter on the grassy knoll. I know that this is not the official view but I thought it was interesting to hear what he thought based on the fact he wasn't aware of all the conspiracy theories etc. The more I think and look at it - maybe he's right. What does anyone else think?

Frederick True story: Around 99 or so stephenedwinking@aol.com was at least one of his email addresses. I kept it on my buddy list and could see when he was online. Shortly after his accident, if I happened across a particularly funny joke, I'd send it along to him, I figured humor couldn't hurt.
A buddy of mine at the time got on my computer, unbeknownst to me, and created a new buddy for me, stephenedwlnking.
That evening I literally fell off my chair when an im popped up, 'Hi, are you the person that's been sending me the jokes?' We im'd back and forth, he was coming to Boca for a book signing, would I like to go fishing? I was beside myself, totally freaking out, fishing with Stephen King. I emailed everyone I knew and some I didn't to spread the word.
20 minutes later my phone rang, I though OMG it's him! It was my buddy and to this day it goes down as the best ever prank pulled on me.

Speee1dy there was a special on the history channel last night about the differing theories of his assassination. after watching that, i do not think there was a conspiracy. i can certainly understand why people think so. this was a first for these people, to have a president assassinated-they had to try to find a way to make it seem logical in an out of control situation.

Harold Kasselman Thanks for the comments Gail. While I have only read a few of King's earliest novels, I can't say if this is his best work. I can say I was totally engrosses in this wonderful story. I've never listened to an audio book but this sounds like it would be great on a long car trip.
As for the conspiracy theorists, I don't adhere to any. I follow Vincent Bugliosi who prosecuted Charles Manson (his book Helter Skelter is still the best true crime novel I ever read). He is an expert and has written extensively on the subject. He appeared on a British TV mock trial in which he played the prosecutor of Oswald. It was one of the most fascinating shows ever. He convicted Oswald but the jury also found there was a conspiracy.
Bugliosi is obsessed with the case and is convinced Oswald acted alone.http://www.amazon.com/Reclaiming-Hist...
I don't have time to read the thousands of books on the topic, but I don't believe Russia or Castro, or certainly the mob was behind it. And I think Oliver Stone's account is nonsense. If there is one thing in the world I'd like to know before I die, it's the answer to that question. "Who killed JFK?"
He wrote a massive book on it.

Harold Kasselman Terry wrote: "True story: Around 99 or so stephenedwinking@aol.com was at least one of his email addresses. I kept it on my buddy list and could see when he was online. Shortly after his accident, if I happened ..."

You and he had me going. That would have been amazing. He lives about 30 minutes from me in one of his houses in Casey Key, Fl. I went on a boat to try and see it but we weren't sure where it is.

Frederick My Ex went to UMaine one class behind him. Never said Boo to him, thought he was very weird, very dark, into the SDS thing, pretty much a loner from what she could see.

Christie Maurer I was secretary to a grant project at UCLA when it happened. Someone came running in from the Dean's Office, saying the President had been shot. We dug out the illicit radio and started listening. That day I had an appointment with my analyst during lunch hour. When I told him, he got very quiet, digesting it all before he said, "Something youthful and hopeful in our country just got killed."
I belonged to a writers' group at the time, and we'd reserved a cabin at Big Bear Lake. We decided to go anyway, and I remember riding around on snowy mountain roads when the live news came of Ruby shooting Oswald at the police station.
As to conspiracy theories: I've heard a bunch, most well-argued, and their refutation, It's one of those things that could have happened either way, and I'm content not to know for sure. The important fact remains: Kennedy was shot.

Kressel Housman Some of you may be interested in Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation. Either Oswald was like John Wilkes Booth, a conspirator, or he was like McKinley's assassin, a lone wolf acting from political ideology.

message 20: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Swike A very sad day, I often wonder about JFK, what if...

Harold Kasselman Jeff Greenfield has a novel about that subject. I haven't read it-it's fiction:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_...

Debbie Waggoner Not a SK fan, but enjoyed this read. The time travel element isn't really my thing either, so I was pleasantly surprised at how I couldn't put the book down. So many conspiracies surrounding these events and King does a great job pulling so many things into play. Will we REALLY ever know what happened?

Harold Kasselman In the year 2038 all of the sealed records done by executive order(75 year order) will be unsealed and maybe you will know. I'll be with my maker-at least I hope

message 24: by Gail (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gail Rees Harold - thank you for your links - those alternate history books look really interesting.. I will definitely check them out. I think the most compelling piece of evidence I have heard so far was in a documentary I watched recently, which seemed to be saying that two different types of bullets must have been used to cause the injuries. The first two shots fired and the bullet passed through JFK at the neck. The bullet that killed him was a different sort of bullet designed to explode on impact - why it caused so much damage. I don't know.. the more you hear the more confusing it becomes. But it is so intriguing. I wonder what the sealed records will reveal?

Harold Kasselman I agree Gail. The fact you mentioned and the fact that the bullet that went through JFK and Gov. Connelly was in pristine condition always troubled me.
Who knows what it will reveal but maybe Cuba was behind it or Russia and the gov't felt the country would clamor for war so they covered it up.
But I still think it was a one man hit with his own narcissistic motives

message 26: by Gail (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gail Rees Harold wrote: "I agree Gail. The fact you mentioned and the fact that the bullet that went through JFK and Gov. Connelly was in pristine condition always troubled me.
Who knows what it will reveal but maybe Cuba ..."

Yep Harold, there's a few things that don't seem to quite add up isn't there. Keeps us all musing and thinking though. JFK seemed to have such charisma and strength of character, he was just so appealing to watch on all the old footage and newsreels I have seen. Such a sad thing to happen.

Harold Kasselman It will always be sad for me because it was like losing a member of my family. The other countervailing fact, that many point to as one killer, is that no evidence of bullets or spent shells were found at the grassy knoll. People and cops were running towards it as soon as the bullets were fired. No one could have had time to search for the shells and gotten out of there in time if there was another shooter.

message 28: by Tash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tash Dahling Speee1dy wrote: "i agree, i stopped reading king books back in the early 80's. this was the first book of his i read since then. i thought it was an excellent book. then i read under the dome, which was good too. i..."

Duma Key is very good in my opinion. Very under rated.

message 29: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Britz Gail wrote: "Harold, what a brilliant story - to have actually seen JFK in person, my word! Also I did not know about the investigation records being sealed for 75 years, I am 48 now so, God willing, I may be i..."

Gail, there was another person taking pictures that day and one of those pictures shows a shooter in the Grassy Knoll area. It is only visible under extreme blow up. Google Badgeman.

message 30: by Harold (last edited Nov 30, 2013 01:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Harold Kasselman Tom wrote: "Gail wrote: "Harold, what a brilliant story - to have actually seen JFK in person, my word! Also I did not know about the investigation records being sealed for 75 years, I am 48 now so, God willin..."
Here is a summary of the theory which I think is bologna:
The Moorman photograph was seen contemporaneously in world media through UPI, but the Warren Commission did not include it in the volumes of its Report (1964).[2] The House Select Committee on Assassinations (1976–1978) sent a high-quality negative of the Moorman photo to the Rochester Institute of Technology for enlargement, enhancement, and analysis. RIT's report states that it found no evidence of human forms anywhere in the background, and the specific area behind the stockade fence was deemed to be so underexposed that it was impossible to glean any information from

Thurston Kressel wrote: "Since today is the 50th anniversary of the assassination, I thought I'd start this thread. And though I haven't done as much research on the topic as Stephen King, I suspect Lee Harvey Oswald didn'..."

Actually Oswald was not a communist. He worked for the CIA and the FBI and was moved around at their direction.
That has all been declassified in the freedom of information acts.
Check out Mark Lane, the last word. Or You tube 1965 movie Rush to Judgement. Fascinating.

Thurston Harold wrote: "Thanks for the comments Gail. While I have only read a few of King's earliest novels, I can't say if this is his best work. I can say I was totally engrosses in this wonderful story. I've never lis..."
Kind of hard to render an opinion if you haven't read both sides. Check Mark Lane 'Last Word' 2011, it is a book-form indictment of the CIA in the murder of president Kennedy. Like Douglass, Lane plays a smooth tactic by reducing the material to the convincing facts, limiting the amount of conspiracy evidence in favor of exposing a clear pattern of CIA involvement by means of the legal record. The fact Lane manages to undress Bugliosi's obese manifesto of lies known as 'Reclaiming History' in less than 300 pages is moral artwork done with efficient intent. The beauty of 'Last Word' is that it pulls away from the debatable forensic information that is typical of conspiracy books and focuses on the legal 'forensics,' showing beyond a doubt that there's clear proof for CIA guilt in the Assassination. In the end 'Last Word' is an embodiment of the purpose and intent of the legal profession Lane practiced. Something that was never credibly applied in the case of the Kennedy Assassination.

If you read Douglass' 'JFK And The Unspeakable' and the Last Word,you'll put all doubts about the Assassination to rest and think quite differently about the world