Possession Possession discussion

Similar books?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ester I just finished this book yesterday, and I am utterly speechless. This book is by far one of the greatest classics (YES,it is a classic, at least to me) I have ever read. This book simply blew me away, it was so amazing.

It has left me wanting to read more and more books like it. Which brings me to the question I have, and that is if someone knows any similar books? I do not want to re-read the book yet, I simply cannot do it at this moment. This is one of those books, at least to me, that I need to savour for a long, long time before embarking on it again.

(I apologise if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes, English is not my first language)

Brenda Clough What was it that you liked especially about this book?

JONATHAN STRANGE & MR. NORRELL, by Susanna Clarke, is another long book with fantastic and alternate-history elements.

THE BIRTHDAY BOYS by Beryl Bainbridge is another quasi-historical novel about British people

ester Brenda wrote: "What was it that you liked especially about this book?

JONATHAN STRANGE & MR. NORRELL, by Susanna Clarke, is another long book with fantastic and alternate-history elements.

THE BIRTHDAY BOYS by ..."

Thank you for your answer!

I'm not very good at explaining things, but I'll try. There were several things I liked about this story, first of all the writing style, and how it got you into the story right away. There was something so beautiful and intriguing in the way she told the story about Randolph and Christabel through their letters and poems and journals. I also really enjoyed the whole forbidden love aspect, I'm a huge sucker for romance, and especially tragic love stories (that are well done, like this book), so that was really good. I also really enjoyed the characters, and how they developed, which is something I do in other books too. I always enjoy books that have great characters, even if the plot might not be that good.

Well, as I said I am not very good at explaining things, but hopefully that'll help a little.

When it comes to other books I like, I'm not a very picky reader, as in I don't read only a couple of few genres. I'll read any genres as long as the book is good, but there are a few types of books that I keep on reading. I really like, like for instance, English classics set in the 19th century, like Jane Austen's books, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre etc. At the same time I also read a lot of YA books, both contemporary and fantasy/sci-fi, I also enjoy epic fantasy books for adults. I also read some erotic romance novels and some historical novels.

Mike The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles

ester Mike wrote: "The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles"

Oh, I'll definitely check that one out! Just read on Wikipedia that one of the characters was inspired by Tess from Tess of the d'Urbervilles, which is a book I really enjoyed. Thank you!

Vincent Agnano Try Barry Unsworth's "Stone Virgin."

Linda Kelly Try The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. It had the same emotional impact on me as Possession.

message 8: by Janice (new) - added it

Janice Sitts the Thirteenth Tale was a fantastic read, I highly recommend it, and thanks for the thumbs up on AS Byatt, 'Possession' i have it as a 'want to read' but now I really want to read it soon! I'm looking for memorable, repeatable Christmas only reads, any other related recommendations?

thanks!

Brenda Clough What do you mean, Christmas only? Do you mean, taking place around the holidays?

message 10: by Janice (new) - added it

Janice Sitts yes, that's what I meant ... I would like to find a few good 'christmas' stories that I would only re-read during the holidays...thanks!

Karen I loved this book, also. I've been looking for something equally as good and will check out The Thirteenth Tale and Stone Virgin. I've read The French Lieutenant's Woman but can't recall any similarities. I might add that the movie Possession was horrible and a discredit to the book.

message 12: by Mike (last edited Dec 28, 2013 10:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike Karen wrote: "I loved this book, also. I've been looking for something equally as good and will check out The Thirteenth Tale and Stone Virgin. I've read The French Lieutenant's Woman but can't recall any simi..."

I don't think there are many books out there as ambitious as Possession. While I do feel the two books can be read as an interesting pair, I responded more to this:

"I also really enjoyed the whole forbidden love aspect, I'm a huge sucker for romance, and especially tragic love stories (that are well done, like this book), so that was really good."

As I think back, though, I do remember sensing a similar tone between the historic segments of Possession and the bulk of French Lieutenant's Woman, but I will admit to having read them around the same time; the chance pairing might have sparked a memory that isn't grounded in reality.

More specifically, I remember that the culminating moments between the two nineteenth century pairs felt somehow related. We also had the final flights of the two women with the attendant (parallel?) ambiguities.

While the narrative of FLW is not as deeply layered as Possession, with due respect, I'm going to stand by the recommendation, even if the similarities might not be immediately apparent.

Also, FLW is an amazing novel anyway. People should read it.