Historical Fictionistas discussion

Featured Author Group Reads > Featured Author Read - 2014

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (last edited Dec 01, 2013 06:50AM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3617 comments Mod
Hi all!
We've made some changes to the Featured Author read for 2014. Info is below!

Featured Author Read

The purpose: The Featured Author Read is Historical Fictionistas way of introducing our members to authors who are in our group. It is also our way of showing thanks to authors who take time out of their busy schedules to participate in our group.

Eligibility:
- Goodreads Authors who are ACTIVE members of Historical Fictionistas. This means you must have 25 or more comments in order to participate in a FA read. Extra entries can be earned to increase your chances of being chosen for the poll based on participation. (Details below.)
**Spam posts do not count and will you get you deleted from the group, so please refrain from spamming the group for eligibility or to increase your chances of getting on the poll.**

- If you had a book featured in 2013, you will NOT be eligible for a featured selection in 2014. (We only do three of these per year, and want to give all of our author members a fair chance at being featured.)

- Your book is available through various vendors (Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, library, brick & mortar stores, etc) and in print and ebook formats.

Here is how it will work:

1] Sign-ups will be held for each round individually instead of one sign-up list for the entire year. Please sign up in the appropriate thread to have your book entered into consideration for the group read for that round. All eligible authors who have signed up for each round will have their name entered once into a randomizer.

2014 Schedule:
Round One --
Verification: Jan 15
Poll: Jan 15 - 20
Read/Discussion: Mar 1 - Mar 31

Round Two --
Verification: Apr 15
Poll: Apr 15 - Apr 20
Read/Discussion: Jun 1 - Jun 30

Round Three --
Verification: Jul 15
Poll: Jul 15 - Jul 20
Read/Discussion: Sept 1 - Sept 30

2] Additional entries can be earned by participation in the group during the sign up window. This includes discussions, group reads, games, etc, but self-promotion or advertising does not count.

On top of the single automatic entry for meeting the 25 comment minimum, if you make the following # of additional comments during the window mentioned above, you'll receive extra entries:
10-24 additional comments = 1 extra entry
25-49 additional comments = 2 extra entries
+50 or more additional comments = 3 extra entries

The top three names that come out of the randomizer will move onto the poll where members will get to vote on which one they would like to read for the month. I will post a picture of the randomizer with the names of the top three authors in this thread before I open the polls.

3] Once the group votes, we will do the group read mostly as usual. This year, however, in order to try to stimulate discussion, we will ask for the author who is selected for the group read to provide some discussion topics regarding their book.

We will again have two different discussion threads: one in which authors are allowed and encouraged to participate in the discussion, and an "Author Free" thread, and the discussion topics will be posted in both threads. The Author Free thread can be viewed by authors, but they can't participate in it. We want everyone to feel comfortable discussing the book that is chosen and we feel that this is a good compromise. :)

4] We would like to give away a copy of each featured book, but this is not guaranteed.
Authors: If you are selected for a poll and giveaway copies available if your book is chosen, please PM me with this information. Also, please let me know of any deals that you are willing to extend to our members. Please do not mention this in the thread as we want to keep all voting as fair as possible.

-----------------

OK - I think that's most of the details covered. Let me know if you have any questions. You can either ask them in this thread or feel free to message me. Thank you all for your participation!

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne Ipsen | 121 comments How do authors sign up with their book?

message 3: by Becky, Moddess (new)

On December 1, I'll open a thread and you'll sign up there with the title of the book you want to be in the running for the nomination.

message 4: by Rexcrisanto (new)

Rexcrisanto Delson | 60 comments Becky wrote: "On December 1, I'll open a thread and you'll sign up there with the title of the book you want to be in the running for the nomination."

Can you please direct me to this thread as I cannot find it here?

message 5: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I've just opened the thread. It's here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 6: by Rexcrisanto (new)

Rexcrisanto Delson | 60 comments Becky wrote: "I've just opened the thread. It's here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

wonderful. curious, does one have to meet minimum comments prior to entering or can this be accumulated during the entry period?

message 7: by Becky, Moddess (new)

You can work up to the 25 min comments during the entry period. That's fine. :)

message 8: by Rexcrisanto (new)

Rexcrisanto Delson | 60 comments Becky wrote: "You can work up to the 25 min comments during the entry period. That's fine. :)"

good to know. thanks :)

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura Gill | 152 comments Whoever is lucky enough to be chosen next year, I hope they have a better time of it than I had.

Trying not to be bitter, but, really, there was next to no discussion. That's a hard pill to swallow.

message 10: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Laura wrote: "Whoever is lucky enough to be chosen next year, I hope they have a better time of it than I had.

Trying not to be bitter, but, really, there was next to no discussion. That's a hard pill to swallow."

That's one of the reasons that we're asking for discussion topics for the books that're selected going forward. We can try to stimulate conversation, but we can't (and wouldn't) force people to buy a book and participate. We are just offering a platform, which hopefully will bring attention to authors in the group in a positive way.

message 11: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Saadia (zoesaadia) I agree with Becky. Readers can't be forced into reading or discussing. They can be tempted or enticed to do that, but in the end this groups and others, as much as the books themselves, are existing for their pleasure and enjoyment, nothing more than that :)

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol Strickland (carolartbeat) | 15 comments I'm coming late to the discussion, but I like the concept and the opportunity to get authors participating in discussions. Even when it's not a writer's book being discussed, we'll get another perspective than readers only provide. And authors will learn what works for readers in general.

message 13: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Datta | 72 comments Carol wrote: "I'm coming late to the discussion, but I like the concept and the opportunity to get authors participating in discussions. Even when it's not a writer's book being discussed, we'll get another pers..."

I also think it is healthy and useful for readers and authors to interact. It is one of the reasons I am on this site.

message 14: by Yanina (new)

Yanina Stachura | 135 comments Maybe a strange question but I have no idea how many comments I have made - I am sure there is an easy way to find out, I just don't know what it is! Would you let me know?

message 15: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Yanina, just hover your mouse over your name in any thread here and it'll pop up your comment count.

message 16: by Jackie (last edited Mar 11, 2014 10:13AM) (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2424 comments Roll your mouse over your name where it says "message 14: Yanina". Give it a few seconds and two pop ups will appear. One will give you your name and the number of comments. The other popup will say comment history. If you click on "comment history" this will take you to a new page with all your comments. On the top it will say 1- #)...in your case it says (showing 1-13 of 13), meaning you have 13 comments.

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2424 comments Becky wrote: "Yanina, just hover your mouse over your name in any thread here and it'll pop up your comment count."

We're too helpful. lol. Posting at the same time.

message 18: by Yanina (new)

Yanina Stachura | 135 comments Thanks so much! I am SUCH a luddite sometimes!

message 19: by Lisasue (new)

Lisasue (lisasuej) Yanina wrote: "Thanks so much! I am SUCH a luddite sometimes!"

Such an awesome word...luddite. LOL.

message 20: by Yanina (new)

Yanina Stachura | 135 comments It is isn't it?

Luddites were highly skilled artisans in the North of England who rose up against the introduction of machinery which turned them into factory wage slaves. They smashed machinery from 1811 onwards and in 1812 in what would nowadays be called overkill :-) the government passed the Frame Breaking Act which introduced the death penalty for breaking machinery. It didn't stop them and they had many famous supporters including the poet Lord Byron. They were eventually defeated and the factory system of men, women and children forced to work 12 hours or more per day for a pittance in terrible conditions which often caused their deaths became the norm. The wonderful novel North and South covers these themes in it.

message 21: by Yanina (new)

Yanina Stachura | 135 comments Forgot to mention North and South is by Elizabeth Gaskell a classic historical novel!