Anne Arundel County Public Library discussion

Book Lists > Books for Foodies

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AACPL (last edited Nov 27, 2013 06:24AM) (new)

AACPL Anne Arundel Public Library | 180 comments Mod
If you're anything like me, you think about food a lot. How good dinner tasted last night, the recipes you want to try out, which rerun of Chopped is on tonight... If that's the case, these books will satisfy your mind (although not your stomach!):

Adult Fiction

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
Like water for chocolate: a novel in monthly installments with recipes, romances, and home remedies by Laura Esquivel
Magic and emotions flood this novel of families, love, and food.
Find it in the library

Chocolat (Chocolat, #1) by Joanne Harris
Chocolat by Joanne Harris
A woman and her daughter open a small shop in France, selling magic infused chocolat.
Find it in the library

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café by Fannie Flagg
Two stories in one, Fried Green Tomatoes delivers an insightful look into one Alabama family and finds a way to make BBQ macabre.
Find it in the library

Simply from Scratch by Alicia Bessette
Simply from Scratch by Alicia Bessette
Unexpected friendships and baking contests help a widow and her young neighbor overcome their grief.
Find it in the library

Aftertaste A Novel in Five Courses by Meredith Mileti
Aftertaste: A Novel in Five Courses by Meredith Mileti
Cooking helps a woman find balance in life after a nasty divorce and losing her restaurant.
Find it in the library

Young Adult Fiction

Taste Test by Kelly Fiore
Taste Test by Kelly Fiore
Nora is invited to compete on Taste Test, a teen reality contest where she encounters food challenges, romance challenges, and dangerous sabotage attempts.
Find it in the library

Fat Cat by Robin Brande
Fat Cat by Robin Brande
Cat decides to go back to her roots and eat like our earliest ancestors: the hominids.
Find it in the library

Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) by Gary Paulsen
Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Stranded in the Canadian wilderness, Brian struggles to survive for 54 days with little resources.
Find it in the library

The Cupcake Queen by Heather Hepler
The Cupcake Queen by Heather Hepler
It's an unexpected wild ride when Penny's mother moves her to a small town to open a cupcake store.
Find it in the library

Scones and Sensibility by Lindsay Eland
Scones and Sensibility by Lindsey Eland
Inspired by Jane Austen's Emma, this bakery delivery girl matchmakes herself into a mess!
Find it in the library

My Cup Runneth Over The Life of Angelica Cookson Potts by Cherry Whytock
My Cup Runneth Over: The Life of Angelica Cookson Potts by Cherry Whytock
Angelica Cookson Potts finds herself in a dilemma: she loves cooking and eating food, but she wants to lose weight for the school fashion show.
Find it in the library

Skinny by Donna Cooner
Skinny by Donna D. Cooner
Haunted by her own insecurities, Ever embarks on a mission to lose weight and get healthy. But can she overcome her inner demons to do so?
Find it in the library

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
A series of 46 vignettes about a young girl growing up and finding her voice in 1960s Chicago.
Find it in the library

Non-Fiction

Pandora's Lunchbox How Processed Food Took Over the American Meal by Melanie Warner
Pandora's lunchbox: how processed food took over the American meal by Melanie Warner
Pandora’s Lunchbox looks at the world of processed food in America. This book might make you reevaluate your lunch!
Find it in the library

Salt Sugar Fat How the Food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss
Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss
Michael Moss, an investigative reporter for the New York Times, looks at how food manufacturers use salt, sugar, and fat to addict us to processed foods.
Find it in the library

Fast Food Nation The Dark Side of the All-American Meal by Eric Schlosser
Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All American Meal by Eric Schlosser
This look at the fast food industry reveals how influential it has been on America’s landscape and history.
Find it in the library

Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer
Eating Animals by Jonathan Safar Foer
In this book, Jonathan Safar Foer examines the stories we tell ourselves about eating meat and explores the stories we maybe should be telling.
Find it in the library

Salt A World History by Mark Kurlansky
Salt: a World History by Mark Kurlansky
Salt has an important role in the development of the world. It has developed trade routes, started wars, even secured empires!
Find it in the library

Relish My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley
Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley
This graphic novel is a memoir of a chef’s daughter, filled with passion and love for food.
Find it in the library

Tomatoland How Modern Industrial Agriculture Destroyed Our Most Alluring Fruit by Barry Estabrook
Tomatoland by Barry Estabrook
This expose of agribusiness explores how tomatoes have become a $4 billion industry.
Find it in the library

My Korean Deli Risking It All for a Convenience Store by Ben Ryder Howe
My Korean Deli: How I Risked My Career and Mortgaged My Future for a Convenience Store by Ben Ryder Howe
In this book, the author’s wife buys a Korean deli for her parents. Slowly, their lives unravel as the business struggles and their family is put to the test.
Find it in the library

Blood, Bones, and Butter The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton
Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton
Hamilton explores the themes of family and food in this memoir of cooking and kitchens.
Find it in the library

The Omnivore's Dilemma A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan
Omnivores Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan
This book is based off one simple question: What will we have for dinner? Turns out, there is a lot to think about when you’re preparing to feast.
Find it in the library

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: a Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver
Barbara Kingsolver and her family decide to only consume food that they had grown themselves or was locally grown.
Find it in the library

Julie and Julia 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell
Julie and Julia by Julie Powell
A memoir of cooking all of Julia Childs’ recipes in Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year. If you liked the movie, you’ll love the book!
Find it in the library

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly What a delicious list; I rather enjoyed Fried Green Tomatoes and Like Water for Chocolate, and there are several more I'll be checking out. I also really enjoyed Cooking for Mr. Latte: A Food Lover's Courtship, with Recipes by Amanda Hesser, the former food editor of the New York Times.

message 3: by Victoria (last edited Nov 23, 2013 06:37AM) (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) I don't think you have any in this list, but I've noticed the sudden (to me anyway) proliferation of food-based mystery series. They look like "chick-lit" mysteries with titles that include "cupcake", "pie", etc. I think there's also another series that involves needlework, like crocheting, stitching, knitting, etc.

I read Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef, but didn't like it because I didn't really like the author/chef. It has been well reviewed, but I couldn't get past her and my feelings over some of her comments and behaviors, so I didn't like it. I enjoyed Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly and for some reason didn't have any of those issues with Anthony Bourdain (and he definitely has his own "interesting" past). Maybe because I already liked him from watching his TV shows.

message 4: by Stephanie (last edited Nov 26, 2013 01:03PM) (new)

Stephanie (viaggiatrice) | 70 comments Mod
Paris, My Sweet A Year in the City of Light (and Dark Chocolate) by Amy Thomas

I have to mention Paris my Sweet by Amy Thomas. It the story of how a NYC food blogger (sweets blogger, really) gets an opportunity to move to Paris for a year. The story is good, but the list of where to buy the best treats in both NYC and Paris is like the most wonderful travel guide ever. It pretty much set the agenda for my last two trips to New York!

message 5: by Gail (new)

Gail Schumacher | 62 comments A houseful Of Love (Marjorie Housepian, 1957[ an Armenian family restaurant NYC 1920's] ).

message 6: by Gail (new)

Gail Schumacher | 62 comments Some of humorist Nora Ephron's books have her favorite recipes. The Irish Country Doctor book series lists recipes mentioned in the book at the end of the book. But when I began reading these books I didn't know there would be recipes included,too (just an added bonus for me).