Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Hounded
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Hearne, Kevin - Hounded - (The Iron Druid Chronicles #1) January 5th 2013: re read starts Aug 12, 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sonia (last edited Jan 20, 2014 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments This topic is about Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Expect Spoilers

What is a Buddy Read?

This is an "Informal Buddy Read"

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

Book Synopsis
Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old - when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power - plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish - to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil

message 2: by Steven (last edited Nov 22, 2013 06:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4868 comments I'm definitely in. :)

(better, Sonia?)

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I'm in, it is going to be my Christmas present :)

message 4: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I just read the first three books and I'm hooked. Literally I just read them in the past week.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4868 comments Lisarenee wrote: "I just read the first three books and I'm hooked. Literally I just read them in the past week."

That good huh? That seems promising! :D

message 6: by Lisarenee (last edited Nov 22, 2013 07:03AM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'm really enjoy it. Atticus's dog, Oberon, is awesome. My son has been in the car when I'm listening to the CD version (I alternate between the book and CD) and he was upset that I finished the third and didn't yet have the forth. He refers to the series as "that dog series". For him it's all about the dog. I have to admit I love the guy who narrates the books. He's awesome.

message 7: by Sonia (last edited Nov 22, 2013 07:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments He is. I only alternate between the two versions because of the Irish names... I get a bit lost :-)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments Steven wrote: "I'm definitely in. :)

(better, Sonia?)"

Much better

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments Oberon is the best! I loved the first few books of this series. Hope you guys enjoy :)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments ♥Oberon♥!

message 11: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments I read the first book in the series some time last year.
I remember that I loved Oberon, of course, but I don't remember much else. There was a lot going on at the time :).

I have so many books to read, what's a few more?

message 12: by Lisarenee (last edited Nov 22, 2013 01:11PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Okay, when the cover for The Grimoire of the Lamb came out I hadn't read any of The Iron Druid Chronicles books but I kept thinking Atticus looked familiar. Then it hit me. Atticus' hair and beard reminded me of Mr. Tumnus of Narnia fame. Then there was this quote in the third book and I laughed hard and couldn't resist creating the following:
 photo irondruidfunny3_zps88aae237.jpg

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments Cool :-)

message 14: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Oberon (an Irish Wolfhound):
 photo Irishwolfhound_zps51ddbee2.jpg

Check out the size:
 photo irishwolfhound2_zpsfb87d507.jpg

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments I was at the Smithsonian this past weekend, and a researcher donated both his skeleton and the skeleton of his Irish Wolf Hound to an exhibit. Those dogs are HUGE. It was so neat to see it in comparison to a human skeleton.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4868 comments Creepy. LOL!

message 17: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Love your response Steven. *snort* lol

Anima Miejska | 757 comments This is one of my favourite dogs, I would love to have one at home :), awesome pictures!

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4868 comments Those "used to be living people but they donated their bodies to science" skeleton/muscle exhibits freak me out!

message 20: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Steven wrote: "Those "used to be living people but they donated their bodies to science" skeleton/muscle exhibits freak me out!"

One of those exhibits came to MOSI (Tampa's Museum Of Science and Industry) and I thought it would be cool, but ended up being creeped out. I was overcome with a sense of sadness.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4868 comments *shudders*

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14466 comments Mod
They are pretty creepy!

I'll also look at starting this series (probably next year) assuming I can get it from the library :)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments I love that kind of stuff : / I think it's really fascinating, and think I missed my calling as a scientist. I will say the creepiest thing I've ever seen was the "bog people" exhibit. Did that one ever come to your museum? Or am I alone in having this creepy life experience?

message 24: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I don't recall the bog people. I don't know if I'd be as creeped out by the bog people because they weren't sliced, diced and posed so blatantly, but then again I thought I'd be fine with the Bodies exhibit.

message 25: by Lisarenee (last edited Nov 22, 2013 08:18PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments You know on the Hexed cover Atticus looks a little like Errol Flynn:
 photo errolandatticus_zps919f5703.jpg

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I'm in!

Vicky (librovert) | 2047 comments I'm going to follow this, but I'm not sure when I'll actually get around to finishing up the series. I have sooo many series I'm trying to finish right now!

I read Hounded about a month ago and loved it. I was a little wary of it because I knew it was similar to the Dresden Files and I had just read Storm Front and wasn't really impressed by it. Something about the humor in Hounded just clicked for me, I liked the characters and I'm a bit of a sucker for anything that pulls from any kind of mythology.

message 28: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Vicky wrote: "I'm going to follow this, but I'm not sure when I'll actually get around to finishing up the series. I have sooo many series I'm trying to finish right now!

I read Hounded about a m..."

Yes, the mythology is heavy in this series and I find myself looking things up constantly. I'm used to Greek and Roman mythology but not a whole heck of a lot else. I wasn't able to get into the Dresden Files when I tried it 4 or more years ago. I may have to give it a go again, but I love this one. Atticus is fun and his vamp friend Leaf is fun. I can just picture him in my head. You can tell at times it's written by a guy, but I totally get his humor. Waiting for my copy of Tricked to come and then I'll be off reading again.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4868 comments I'm excited about starting this in January. :D

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments Steven wrote: "I'm excited about starting this in January. :D"

I'm still waiting for a start date :P

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4868 comments Doesn't matter to me! As long as it's not the same day as Kate, I'm in :P

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments :)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I'm so glad I needed to look for the start date of the Brandan Sanderson read this month, otherwise I may have missed this entirely. I'm in! (Nobody's surprised..)

Kristie | 3280 comments Hoping to jump in on this one. I haven't read any of the series yet, but I've had the first book sitting on my shelf for quite a while.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments I already read Hounded but will gladly join the discussion :)

Shall we plan this one for January 5th?

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4868 comments Since it's informal, that should work for me. :D

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments Starting date added to the title.

Anima Miejska | 757 comments Great idea with setting the date, I should be able get to this series on time :)

message 39: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments If Oberon could wear a shirt, I think it'd say this:
 photo baconshirt_zps46512798.jpg

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments Every time I see the Beggin' Strips commercial, I think of Oberon.

IT'S BACON!!!!

message 41: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments LOL I know. Me too. *grin*

message 42: by Carl (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carl Waters (carl_waters) Hounded was great. Would love to read the rest of the series with you guys.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4868 comments Glad to have you along, Carl!

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I'm in the same boat as you, Carl ;)

Kristie | 3280 comments Ok....I have a question for all of you. I know that many of you are also Dresden fans. I have heard that the Dresden audios are really good and I have also heard that the Iron Druid audios are very good. I was planning to read them both through audio versions. My question is this - do you think it would be too confusing to listen to them both at basically the same time? I would be alternating Harry Dresden #1, Iron Druid #1, Harry Dresden #2, Iron Druid #2, etc. Just trying to catch up on both series.

If you think the stories would be too confusing to do that, which would you recommend I start with - The Dresden series or the Druid series? Decisions, decisions...

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I would say Druid first, because it's great immediately. But I'm biased in the opposite direction as many others who may reply to this ;)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4868 comments I've loved every single Dresden book so far, but haven't read an Iron Druid yet so can't comment ;)

Kristie | 3280 comments I posted the question in another group I'm in as well and the first response said - read the Iron Druid series first because it's a shorter series, but he liked the Dresden Files better.

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments Kristie, I did audio for both series and don't think you'd have too much trouble swapping worlds. The narration styles are very different (both are excellent, though).

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4868 comments We are starting book one on January 5th, and then book two on Feb 5th, and so on :P

« previous 1 3