What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. WWII fiction book about Gay british soldier; set in India

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Milli (new)

Milli Hicks | 2 comments Gonna see if I can pick all of you brains here. When I was younger I read a paperback fiction book that was about a gay British sergeant who fell in love with his commanding officer ( or vice versa )while serving in India during WWII and taking care of him when he was wounded but I can not remember who wrote it or the title. I think it was written in the 60s or 70s. I read it around 81. Does it ring a bell for anyone?

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments Is it The Charioteer The Charioteer by Mary Renault ? It sounds like an interesting book.

message 3: by Mir (new)

Mir | 712 comments That's the first one that came to my mind, too, but I'm pretty sure it's all set in England.

message 4: by Milli (new)

Milli Hicks | 2 comments Nope - it was definately in india because I remember how fascinated I was with how they described country.

message 5: by Mir (new)

Mir | 712 comments Well, here's a list of m/m historical fiction, maybe you'll spot the cover.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 128 comments Can you tell us any more about the story? was it slow paced, was it mostly set inside? How good was the writing? Were they travelling? Anything to help jog "the little grey cells?"

I've read a number of historical fiction books involving m/m but your description doesn't ring any bells so far.

So far I've ruled out
Enemy by Robin Maugham Enemy by Robin Maugham
Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh Brideshead Revisited

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Milli, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Bump.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Bump.

message 10: by Patrik (new)

Patrik | 1 comments The Absolutist ?

message 11: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35105 comments Mod
The Absolutist by John Boyne - Patrik's suggestion

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Milli, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 5 years. Moving to Abandoned.

message 13: by Logan (new)

Logan | 1 comments I know this is an old post, so the chance of you reading this is slim. However, it sounds the most like Look Down in Mercy by Walter Baxter. Although much of it takes place in Burma, some parts of it are in India. Here's a description of it, as the Goodreads page is rather barren: http://www.valancourtbooks.com/look-d...