Comic books/Graphic novels/Manga Reading Challenges discussion

Superman/Batman, Vol. 1: Public Enemies
This topic is about Superman/Batman, Vol. 1
Past Group Reads > December: Superman/Batman, Vol. 1

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
The month of December, we will be reading Superman/Batman, Vol. 1: Public Enemies! Let us know what you think here!

"A tale of loyalty and unlikely friendship featuring two of the most recognizable and popular super-heroes on the planet, SUPERMAN/BATMAN: PUBLIC ENEMIES pairs the Man of Steel with the Dark Knight. The iconic super-heroes unite when longtime Superman enemy Lex Luthor, now president of the United States, accuses Superman of a horrible act against mankind, and assembles a top-secret team of powerhouse heroes to bring Superman in — dead or alive. But after the Dark Knight Detective proves Luthor's accusations to be baseless, the "World's Finest" duo prepares to topple the corrupt president's reign once and for all."

Remember to use the spoiler tag when talking about major spoilers!

message 2: by Mike, The Moderator in the Darkness (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike | 257 comments Mod
Just reread this last month. Went a little to over the top towards the end but great stuff overall. In addition to the fantastic dueling internal perspectives the external dialog was great and the story a lot of fun. Batman and Superman working as a cohesive team is always a treat and there's a strong, interesting Captain Atom character arc woven in as well.

Full review.

message 3: by Mike, The Moderator in the Darkness (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike | 257 comments Mod
Here are a few discussion questions for everyone to think about (Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate to your answer, even if the question didn't contain spoilers. Thanks!):

1) Do you like the technique of color coded internal dialog to contrast what Superman and Batman are thinking and how they view the same situation? Do you think Loeb uses it well here?

2) What do you think of the story? Of Lex's portrayal and this chapter in his time as President?

3) How do you like the art? Does it enhance the story?

4)Who would win in a fight: Batman or Superman? ;)

message 4: by Mike, The Moderator in the Darkness (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike | 257 comments Mod
1) Love it. Really neat to see the dueling internal viewpoints and contrast how Superman and Batman see the same situations differently. Leob does a great job with it.

2) Decent enough, but lost a little steam at the end. I know there was an in-story reason for it, but Lex was very shortsighted here and not as logical as someone who schemed his way to the presidency should have been.

3) The art is largely excellent. McGuinness' style isn't always to my tastes and even here there are moments when I find his facial expressions off (particularly Superman and Luthor in places), but most of the pages here are gorgeous, with particular care given to striking "reveal" panels and splash pages.

4) I'm definitely biased, but Batman.