Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

The City (The City, #1)
This topic is about The City
Stand Alone Novels 2008-2020 > The City (Group Read - July 2014)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by K. (new)

K. Wood (kallenwood) Looks like a new book was added the other day, though it hasn't been shared anywhere that I saw.

http://www.deankoontz.com/the-city

The City, slated for next July. Here's the description:

#1 New York Times bestselling author Dean Koontz is at the peak of his acclaimed powers with this major new novel—a rich, multi-layered story that moves back and forth across decades and generations as a gifted musician relates the “terrible and wonderful” events that began in his city in 1967, when he was ten.

There are millions of stories in the city—some magical, some tragic, others terror-filled or triumphant. Jonah Kirk’s story is all of those things as he draws readers into his life in the city as a young boy, introducing his indomitable grandfather, also a “piano man”; his single mother, a struggling singer; and the heroes, villains, and everyday saints and sinners who make up the fabric of the metropolis in which they live—and who will change the course of Jonah’s life forever. Welcome to The City, a place of evergreen dreams where enchantment and malice entwine, where courage and honor are found in the most unexpected corners and the way forward lies buried deep inside the heart.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 6034 comments Mod
Really? Hadn't heard :-) Thanks for the news!

mentioned on Fantastic Fiction: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/d...

message 4: by K. (new)

K. Wood (kallenwood) Yeah, I don't know why it hasn't officially been mentioned by Dean.

K Allen wrote: "Yeah, I don't know why it hasn't officially been mentioned by Dean."

I think because Dean and/or his publisher are focusing on the December 10th release of Innocence :-)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments I saw it officially mentioned somewhere but I can't remember where.
If City will be the next book after the December release I guess we will have to wait forever and a day for Saint Odd.

Has anyone heard anything about the Odd Thomas movie release. I wouldn't be surprised if Koontz has the manuscript an will release Saint Odd when the movie comes out.

Scott Siller | 22 comments Karen, there was some legal issues that happened with the odd movie which kept it from being released as planned but apparently it is on directtv ppv. I don't know if it will ever sre dvd

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Thanks Scott. I wonder if Comcast will be able to run it as a pay per view. That's really a shame. I love that actor.

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (dancingcrane) | 40 comments Looking forward to "The City". As a writer I can tell you, if a character isn't letting you finish the story yet, there's nothing you can do to force them. Odd Thomas and Christopher Snow are strong enough characters that I guarantee you they're the ones creating the story. All Dean can do is write other things until his boys are ready to finish.

message 10: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 177 comments Kimberly wrote: "Looking forward to "The City". As a writer I can tell you, if a character isn't letting you finish the story yet, there's nothing you can do to force them. Odd Thomas and Christopher Snow are stron..."

LOL!!!

I'm a (published) writer, too. And I agree with your assessment.

Stacy (stacymarie913) | 16 comments I'm having mixed feelings on this. Normally, I love Koontz's books, but between just finishing Innocence and being less than impressed with it, and reading the description of it.....it doesn't sound like it's going to be as gripping as quite a lot of his others have been.

Innocence came extremely close to being the first Koontz book I haven't finished (and I have read every single one published under his name and a few published under other pseudonyms), and if this one is even close to being as disappointing, I may have to just put it down.

Hope it's a good one! :-)

message 13: by Angel (new)

Angel (angel4sue) | 2 comments idk i am reading "Innocence" now and so far really liking it. Though there is something I can't quite put my finger on. hope it does not disappoint at the end.

message 14: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori (lkaumans) | 12 comments I'll definitely read The City because I read all of his books. Some I like less than others, but I thoroughly enjoyed Innocence and sped through it so fast, I'll probably re-read it next week while on vacation. I want Saint Odd to come out though!!! I don't want him working on anything else except Saint Odd! Haha!

Tracy | 528 comments I loved Innocence as well. I tried to read it slow because I wanted to stay in the story a long time.

message 16: by Shastina , Koontzland Social Media Moderator (new) - added it

Shastina  Henderson (shastinahenderson) | 92 comments Mod
I'll read The City because it's Dean Koontz and I will always read a book by him I haven't read, because I'm curious. I wouldn't want to miss a good book!

Shastina (Sassy) wrote: "I'll read The City because it's Dean Koontz and I will always read a book by him I haven't read, because I'm curious. I wouldn't want to miss a good book!"

Yep. Yep. Yep.

Thomas Bruso | 27 comments I'm looking forward to "The City." Sounds like another strange Koontz novel.

Thomas wrote: "I'm looking forward to "The City." Sounds like another strange Koontz novel."

I hope so :-) I love weird and strange.

message 20: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 177 comments Aren't most of them strange?

J.S. wrote: "Aren't most of them strange?"

Now that you mention it, Yes and that is good. :-)

message 22: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 177 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "J.S. wrote: "Aren't most of them strange?"

Now that you mention it, Yes and that is good. :-)"

Indeed it is.

message 23: by Thomas (last edited Apr 08, 2014 03:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thomas Bruso | 27 comments J.S. wrote: "Aren't most of them strange?"

Koontz is the best when it comes to writing strange.

Scott Siller | 22 comments Is the city another first person book? He's been doing a lot of those lately. I hope the book is indeed 416 pages like it says. I feel his books have been to short recently.

message 25: by Emily (new)

Emily Wenzl | 6 comments Dean Koontz just tweeted about The City. For those who don't know, he's @deankoontz. He referenced his book description on his site. It's the one K posted in message one. I think he was focused on Innocence and now he's promoting The City.

message 26: by Shastina , Koontzland Social Media Moderator (new) - added it

I am so excited about this book!

Barbara | 461 comments When is the release date for The City....is it only going to be online or e readers ???

Scott Siller | 22 comments barbara: it is set for july 1st release in all formats

Scott Siller | 22 comments except mass market paperback

Barbara | 461 comments Thank you Scott !!! Can't wait
:-)

message 31: by Emily (new)

Emily Wenzl | 6 comments Hi all! Dean Koontz has released an excerpt of THE CITY. FYI I have a Dean Koontz fan page on Facebook and Twitter called Dean Koontz Krowd and if you like it, you can see the excerpt. https://www.facebook.com/KoontzKrowd and https://twitter.com/DeanKoontzKrowd.

Scott wrote: "except mass market paperback"

:-) Ha Ha

Diane Lynch (dianedesmarrstlynch) | 477 comments Cann't wait for this one. Sounds like something different.

Scott Siller | 22 comments Just finished reading the first preview released. this book has an extremely slow pace and very different style than any koontz book I've ever read. kinda difficult to get into so far, but the writing is exquisite.

message 35: by Emily (new)

Emily Wenzl | 6 comments Scott wrote: "Just finished reading the first preview released. this book has an extremely slow pace and very different style than any koontz book I've ever read. kinda difficult to get into so far, but the writ..."

I agree, Scott. His writing style surprised me because it not like any other Dean Koontz book. I was expecting his usual stuff and this seems to read like a historical novel. I wonder what made Dean change gears like this. As usual though, I love his writing. This will be interesting of what people think of it when it comes out.

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily Wenzl | 6 comments Scott wrote: "I'm very interested to see if the entire book remains with this kind of pace and style or if it will change as the plot begins to develop. Innocence also had a very unique pace and style, different..."

I loved the Pearl character, and I'm interested to see how it all plays out. If there are no giveaways, we'll just have to wait until July. But I hope the pace and style picks up just like it did in Innocence because I have to admit I wasn't really a fan of his first couple of pages he released.

Tracy | 528 comments I just got The City on Netgallery!!! I am so excited. Absolutely can not wait to start reading but I have to go pick up my kid from football practice in a bit so I had better not start until after that or he will be walking home.

Congrats on the win Tracy! :-)

Tracy | 528 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Congrats on the win Tracy! :-)"

Thanks DC. I am reading [bookbook:The Neighbor|22259002] since it's a prequel to The City.

Nice :-) I might have to break down and ebook it again too. What do you think? Is it worth reading The Neighbor? I wasn't impressed with Wilderness last Fall.

Tracy | 528 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Nice :-) I might have to break down and ebook it again too. What do you think? Is it worth reading The Neighbor? I wasn't impressed with Wilderness last Fall."

Ummm...I really liked it but you probably could wait for The City Dustin.

We will feature The City as our July 2014 Group Read in Koontzland :-) Happy Reading!

Christine I got The City as a ARC. I am pretty excited to read it.

Christine wrote: "I got The City as a ARC. I am pretty excited to read it."

I'm surprised you haven't already read it if you have it in your home!

message 45: by Shastina , Koontzland Social Media Moderator (new) - added it

I'm going to get myself the signed copy as a present.

Shastina (Sassy) wrote: "I'm going to get myself the signed copy as a present."

How do you do that and how much is it?

message 47: by Shastina , Koontzland Social Media Moderator (new) - added it

Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Shastina (Sassy) wrote: "I'm going to get myself the signed copy as a present."

How do you do that and how much is it?"

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-c...

Here!

Barbara | 461 comments Oh.....I may have to get a signed copy too!!! Lol

Christine Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Christine wrote: "I got The City as a ARC. I am pretty excited to read it."

I'm surprised you haven't already read it if you have it in your home!"

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was out of town. The book is for a discussion on another website starting on July 15th. I'm waiting to read it so its fresh in my mind for that group.

We will begin discussing The City on Release Day - July 1st! The City is our July Group Read :-)

« previous 1