Mock Printz 2022 discussion

Rose Under Fire
This topic is about Rose Under Fire
Mock Printz 2014 > Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Whitney (wsquared) | 68 comments Elizabeth Wein won a Printz honor for Code Name Verity, which is a companion novel to Rose Under Fire. This title has garnered four starred reviews -- how does it stand up to the Printz criteria?

Maureen (mhsquier) | 79 comments I really loved this book, but have one main concern about whether it will make the cut. Will the committee have Elizabeth Wein fatigue seeing that Code Name Verity was an honor book just last year? I know there's been authors who have won the Printz/Printz Honor more than once, but were they consecutive years?

Having said that, I feel that the book excels in several areas. The characters were well drawn, especially Rose. Her voice comes through not only in the narrative of the story, but also the poetry that she writes. The theme of rising above terrible circumstances is not uncommon, but is well done in this book.

Where the book really shines is in its accuracy. The books includes a glossary of camp vocabulary (which I found helpful), a bibliography, and a list of Internet resources. Additionally, the author's website has a whole section of "technical details" where she goes into some of her research.

I would be happy to see this book on the Printz list.

Here's a link to my full review of the book - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Kefira | 1 comments Whitney wrote: "Elizabeth Wein won a Printz honor for Code Name Verity, which is a companion novel to Rose Under Fire. This title has garnered four starred reviews -- how does it stand up to the Printz criteria?"

I think Rose Under Fire excelled in its setting and secondary characters. The Ravensbruck portion was haunting and vivid. I think Rose suffered by comparison to the other characters, each with her own sparse but beautifully drawn and nuanced back story. I felt compelled to read to find out what happened to each of them. I have read many World War II books and I liked that this one dealt with concentration camp victims who were not Jewish. I also really liked that the book dealt with how do you move on with your life, ending with The Nuremberg Trials. These points elevated the book to me and made it stand out from other similar ones.

Mary HD (marymaclan) | 82 comments This was a compelling read, but in a different way than CNV. The reader knows that Rose will survive, and so the setting and the development of the characters become paramount, and the plot less so. The concentration camp segment was certainly the strongest (and most credible) part of the book. What stood out to me in RUF was how, in the most daunting of circumstances, the camp inmates let kindness and loyalty rule their actions toward one another. Not all authors have chosen to tell the horrifying story of the camps in this way.

I will have to say, however, that this book is not as distinctive a literary effort as CNV, and I would be surprised if it received any Printz recognition.