Books on the Nightstand discussion

Announcements > Foreign Transaction Fee-Audiobooks.com

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karin (new)

Karin | 74 comments I'm a US Listener that just got my Amex bill after signing up for Audiobooks.com and the 14.95 was also assessed a foreign transaction fee (.44 in my case). I just called them and they said they are a Canadian company so if a bank charges a foreign transaction fee (what CC's don't these days?), they suggest I contact my bank to see if it could be waived for a recurring subscription. I guess I'll be cancelling my subscription.

I feel like the fact that they are a foreign company potentially subject to a Foreign Tx Fee should have been more clearly disclosed to their US customers, since there isn't anything on the website that makes it obvious.

However, if they won't/don't do so, then maybe it's something that Michael & Ann need to put into their commentary.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Karin, that's not something we know anything about. As sponsors, our agreement is simply that we read the blurb at the beginning of the show and talk about an Audiobooks.com audiobook of the week (of our choosing). We're not customer service or in any other way affiliated.

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin | 74 comments Yes, but you are endorsing them by virtue of your enthusiasm, etc when you talk about them. You do more than just neutrally read the blurb once and done. Anyway, not mad at you, just think you and everyone else ought to know.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Karin, yes, because we genuinely like their product -- but we don't get involved with pricing, etc. I'll pass it on to them, though.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisa--m) | 34 comments There are credit cards that waive the foreign transaction fees. two that I have are with Chase and Capital One. Maybe that would work for you.

message 6: by Karin (new)

Karin | 74 comments Thanks, Lisa. I'll try contacting my CC company.

message 7: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 817 comments Ann wrote: "Karin, yes, because we genuinely like their product -- but we don't get involved with pricing, etc. I'll pass it on to them, though."

Karin wrote: "Yes, but you are endorsing them by virtue of your enthusiasm, etc when you talk about them. You do more than just neutrally read the blurb once and done. Anyway, not mad at you, just think you an..."
Good deal Ann!You should be praised.