Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read Nominations > December Monthly Group Read Nominations 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the nominations thread for out December monthly read of 2013.

As this is the only category we'll be selecting this month it will be open to any writer of any genre.

As always, there is only one nomination per member.

I look forward to seeing all of your nominated books.

Declan. :)

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I'm waiting to see what nominations there are. I am thinking of a seasonal read but that my not be the best idea.

message 3: by Serf (new)

Serf Seeing as there has been so much talk of her this month, nominating the secret history. I know some people have it read already though

message 4: by Allan (new)

Allan There's the link for the book, Seraphina-good choice btw!

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 5: by Tara (last edited Nov 22, 2013 12:28AM) (new)

Tara  Niland (taraniland) The Flavours of Love by Dorothy Koomson. I am reading it at the moment and enjoying it x

message 6: by I-like-to-read (new)

I-like-to-read (akakate) You might all hate me for this but I'm gonna go with
Mad About the Boy

message 7: by H (new)

H (hiisdaarkmaaterials) | 430 comments Mod
I'm in agreement with Barbara that I think we should choose a seasonal book. However I have been looking for an excuse to buy The Secret History so this would give me a valid reason! :P

message 8: by H (new)

H (hiisdaarkmaaterials) | 430 comments Mod
Okay I'm going to nominate this book. It's a little different, a little odd haha but nice to have a mixed bag. The Stupidest Angel : A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore.

I *hope* this link works lol. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...

message 9: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 437 comments The Third Policeman by O'Brien, Flann. I heard a discussion about this book and it sounded good and a bit different.

message 10: by Marcia (last edited Nov 22, 2013 01:28AM) (new)

Marcia | 437 comments The Third Policeman Flann O'Brien I heard this book being discussed on the ABC book club. It sounded really good.

message 11: by Janebbooks (last edited Nov 22, 2013 04:23AM) (new)

Janebbooks Although new to these discussions...I would like to nominate John Banville's The Sea. Why?
#l...Won the 2005 Booker Prize.
#2 Movie has just been released in UK in September 2013. Banville penned the script. The movie is directed by Stephen Brown and stars Ciarán Hinds (Max Morden), Rufus Sewell (Carlo Grace), Charlotte Rampling (Miss Vavasour), and Natascha McElhone (Connie Grace). The film is produced by Luc Roeg, scored by Andrew Hewitt, with cinematography by John Conroy. It's a story of a man who returns to the sea where he spent his childhood summers in search of peace following the death of his wife.
#3 I have a copy.

Of course, if the rules are rather lax about an Irish born author, etc...for a monthly selection...I'll save the Banville book for the quarterly selection (it'll probably take me three months to fully digest the book)

and nominate and will try to read again.....

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Jane

message 12: by S. (last edited Nov 22, 2013 05:00AM) (new)

S. Sigerson (whoshotcollins) | 65 comments Today being November 22, in honour of President Kennedy and all victims of politically-motivated killings, I'd like to take the liberty to nbminate my own book:

"The Assassination of Michael Collins: What Happened At Béal na mBláth?" by SM Sigerson

(Available on Amazon Kindle at this link:
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FZ1BCBA)

Hope I'm allowed to make this nomination, although I say it myself.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope we do The Secret History at some point. I would love to see what everyone thinks of it.

If we don't go with a Christmas themed book I will second the nomination for The Secret History.

message 14: by Allan (new)

Allan If people are looking for a Christmas themed book, why not go for the original, from which many of our Christmas traditions originate.

Charles Dickens-A Christmas Carol.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5326

Oh, and the best thing coming up to Christmas, is that it's free on both audiobook and ebook! :)

message 15: by Barbara (last edited Nov 22, 2013 06:19AM) (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments My nomination is John B. Keane's An Irish Christmas: StoriesAn Irish Christmas: Stories

An Irish Christmas Stories by John Brendan Keane

Editing to add that this is available in both the US and Ireland.

message 16: by Colleen (last edited Nov 22, 2013 07:42AM) (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments NOS4A2. I heard it has a twisted Christmas theme. I didn't check to see if it available outside the US.If it isn't or it's too expensive I withdraw the nomination.

message 17: by John (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) Marcia wrote: "The Third Policeman by O'Brien, Flann. I heard a discussion about this book and it sounded good and a bit different."

In my all time top 5 books. Astounding imagination.

message 18: by John (last edited Nov 22, 2013 08:11AM) (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) Funny - looks like everyone is voting for the Secret History before the poll has even opened :)

As much as I adore the Secret History, it's been years since I read it. A lot of people here seem to nominate books they have already read (which I've always found odd!). Reading then discussing something I *haven't* yet read will always be my default view of a book club.

Enough bitching already! (from me)

My nomination this month is Beautiful Ruins - which I just keep hearing about lately.

message 19: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments So many good suggestions. I've wanted to read Donna Tartt, Flann O'Brien, and I'm in the mood for Christmas books, too. I was planning on downloading a free Christmas Carol and then I read your post, Allan. Barbara, ever since you mentioned those Irish Christmas stories I've wanted to read those novels. I'll just have to close my eyes and pick a title.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

John wrote: "Funny - looks like everyone is voting for the Secret History before the poll has even opened :)

As much as I adore the Secret History, it's been years since I read it. A lot of people here seem to..."

Well see if I already read it I'm ahead LOL! I have a feeling this may go to a Christmas theme.

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I will say that John B Keane is very funny. There are some good Irish Christmas story collections by David Marcus and Dermot Bolger but the Marcus books are hard to get and though Bolger is in print, Amazon is out of stock. BTW I started The Goldfinch...

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Barbara wrote: "I will say that John B Keane is very funny. There are some good Irish Christmas story collections by David Marcus and Dermot Bolger but the Marcus books are hard to get and though Bolger is in prin..."

I haven't read The Goldfinch. Some day...The Christmas book looks like fun.

message 23: by Serf (new)

Serf Speaking of Christmas themed books, will there be a Christmas film review??

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

@Seraphina. There was no plan to start a Christmas film, but if people want to discuss one opening a thread will be easy.

I never announced the closing date for nominations. It will close around midnight of November 25.

message 25: by Gavin (last edited Nov 22, 2013 01:43PM) (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments The secret history I've been looking forward to ages

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

It's long but it's good Gavin. I would comment further but I won't spoil it.

message 27: by Serf (new)

Serf I was in a book shop this evening and had secret history in my hands but I resisted. I'll wait til the vote is in

message 28: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments I like long books if there fast flowing :) won't take me long when I'm on my Christmas holidays

message 29: by Susan (last edited Nov 22, 2013 09:52PM) (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I love your suggestion, Barbara. It sounds perfect for Christmas.
Here's my suggestion. We should read Secret History in Jan. for two reasons. It's long, 559 pages, and we have more time in Jan. to read a long book. I would never get through it in Dec. because it's long and, frankly, I love reading about XMAS in Dec.
@John, I know we have discussed this nomination thing and I am going to make my point. I would never nominate a book I haven't read. Here's why: If I want to ask people to invest their time and money in a book I like to think they are going to like it. Now I would vote on books I haven't read. That's when you can experiment and try things out of your comfort zone. I just find it common courtesy to nominate a book that you like. No one likes to spend time on a clunker that no one has read. (I don't mean Ian Sansom, Allan).

message 30: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 437 comments the Irish Christmas stories sound good. Even though I nominated the third policeman l will probably vote for the Christmas one.

message 31: by Allan (new)

Allan Just a query about An Irish Christmas. Is it a different book from An Irish Christmas Feast or Christmas Tales, or just a different name for US publishing?

The reason why I'm asking us that all the copies that seem to be available of the book I see in the nomination picture on Amazon are shipping second hand from USA, and I know from experience, those would never arrive on time to read next month.

An Irish Christmas info from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/ol/0786...

An Irish Christmas Feast seems to have the same types of story, but is longer. It's available on Kindle, although it's over a tenner in that format!

Again, info from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/ol/1856...

Thanks for the extra info in advance! :)

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments That seems a little expensive too. Amazon here has it for 1 cent plus 3.99 shipping. Good question. On our Amazon it's show Christmas Feast as a separate book.

message 33: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 437 comments I don't think I can access this book. :(

message 34: by Serf (new)

Serf Surprised the jb Keane book is so hard to get. We were forced to read him in school. Painful.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Susan you make sense. The Secret History is very long and the holidays are so busy. It's hard to read such a long book with a deadline. I think someday this group might just vote for it though.

message 36: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments John wrote: "Funny - looks like everyone is voting for the Secret History before the poll has even opened :)

As much as I adore the Secret History, it's been years since I read it. A lot of people here seem to..."

John - for me sometimes I am reluctant to nominate something that is an unknown entity. But if it's a book that has been well received, then I will nominate it. On the other hand, I prefer that the books selected are books I haven't read so I can participate.

message 37: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Seraphina - I'd be up for a thread on a Christmas film or Christmas films in general. Every year, just for fun, I watch (yes I know this is really stupid) Bridget Jone's Diary. I love the fight scene between Colin Firth and Hugh Grant in the Greek restaurant:) And the local AFI (American Film Institute) Theater is showing Christmas classics including Muppets Christmas Carol, the Jimmy Stewart movie - how can I forget the name? - and more. They don't have a link up yet...

message 38: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Barbara wrote: "Seraphina - I'd be up for a thread on a Christmas film or Christmas films in general. Every year, just for fun, I watch (yes I know this is really stupid) Bridget Jone's Diary. I love the fight sce..."
Do you mean It's a wonderful life ? Love that movie!

message 39: by Serf (new)

Serf I'm not very good at setting up a thread..mainly because I access this through my phone but it'd be great to chat about Christmas films. My most recent favourite Xmas film is the polar express. I love the old movies too. Maybe if I ask Declan nicely he'll set up the thread for us??

message 40: by Allan (new)

Allan I just set a thread up for Christmas movie discussion in the 'general' section of the group, if that's of help to anyone! :)

message 41: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Allan wrote: "Just a query about An Irish Christmas. Is it a different book from An Irish Christmas Feast or Christmas Tales, or just a different name for US publishing?

The reason why I'm asking us that all th..."

My bad - when I looked at availability of Irish Stories for Christmas on Amazon UK I didn't note they were coming from the US.

It seems that the John B Keane book listed as An Irish Christmas on Amazon UK is the book published by Roberts Rinehart in the US as More Irish Stories for Christmas. Mercier Press, the Irish publisher, then published An Irish Christmas Feast which contains both books:
http://www.mercierpress.ie/irish-book...
Amazon UK has An Irish Christmas Feast as a paperback, but there is only one cheap used copy. However, the Dublin Public LIbrary has Christmas Feast. Libraries NI only have ONE John B Keane book as far as I could determine. My local library system has the first book An Irish Christmas.
I had all 3 but when I realized Irish Christmas Feast contained the 2 books I had, I gave it away:)

Advice Declan?

message 42: by Serf (new)

Serf You can get the John b keane from the book depository for 6 euro 50 and free shipping worldwide if this helps.

message 43: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Barbara, I just read a story on It's a Wonderful Life. They are thinking of remaking it and a lot of people are up in arms about it. I am so against it. I hated when they remade Sabrina as I thought the original was perfect. I feel the same about Wonderful Life. Leave well enough alone.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I totally agree, Susan.

Somethings are timeless and don't need to be changed.

message 45: by Serf (new)

Serf Have to admit I've never watched a wonderful life from start to finish. I will make that my Christmas watch this year

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

You won't regret it, Seraphina.

message 47: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Susan wrote: "Barbara, I just read a story on It's a Wonderful Life. They are thinking of remaking it and a lot of people are up in arms about it. I am so against it. I hated when they remade Sabrina as I though..."

I agree with both Declan and Susan - a really stupid idea. The original is directed by the genius Frank Capra. What are they thinking?

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

They're thinking that there's money to be had.

message 49: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I don't know why they don't just have an original idea. Another great Christmas movie we watch every year "A Christmas Story".

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Very few remakes work. Especially the treasures. A Christmas Story is so fun! My son used to be afraid of the elf that pushes the little boy down the slide LOL! Too funny! He still talks about how that elf scared him when he was little!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.