Greek myths discussion

What's your favorite Greek myth?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Al (new)

Al It doesn't seem like there is much activity in this group so I thought I'd try and start something new. What is your favorite Greek myth? Why?

My favorite is the tale of Pandora and her fatal curiosity. It's my favorite because I was never satisfied with it, so I was always reading every version I could find until I just fell in love with it.

Here's a question though... what happened to "hope"? In the myth Pandora shut the chest in terror at what she had released, locking in hope before it could escape. Some of the versions say that her curiosity got the better of her once again, and she opened the chest a second time, giving the world hope, but the fact that this is not included in all the myths makes me think that it was something added later to help the story make sense. Does anyone know what the Greeks say about how hope was released?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that hope was never released so that mankind would always have hope

message 3: by Garry (last edited Apr 11, 2010 10:52PM) (new)

Garry (garryhashman) | 2 comments I always liked that Zeus defeated the Titans and made Cronus (for lack of a better word) vomit up his brothers and sisters. The best part is that his siblings had been eaten as infants and regurgitated as adults. What a story!

message 4: by Cody (new)

Cody (cocijo5000) | 2 comments One of my favorite myths is that of Bellerophon, the hero who road Pegasus up to Mt. Olympus but was struck down by Zeus.

I also really like the myth of Endymion and Selene, Jason, Perseus, and Theseus.

message 5: by Tai (new)

Tai Tai (taiwrites) | 1 comments Cupid and Psyche! "The Golden Ass", indeed))

message 6: by Gorkem (new)

Gorkem | 1 comments ''Orpheus and Eurydice'' is my favourite.

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Davies (debbie16) | 1 comments Tai wrote: "Cupid and Psyche! "The Golden Ass", indeed))"

Thats mine too! (that is what my book is based on if you wanted to give it a read its free at the moment on amazon called Any Love But Mine)