Jezebelle's Book Club discussion

Alias Grace
This topic is about Alias Grace
Alias Grace > Who has read Margaret Atwood before?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Annie | 101 comments Mod
She's been on my to-read list for a while, I'm excited to jump in!

Michele Baber | 20 comments Mod
I just finished The Year of the Flood and I love it. Oryx and Crake was great, and I'm so excited for MaddAddam.

message 3: by Taylor (last edited Nov 26, 2013 01:19PM) (new)

Taylor (seffietay) I only just got into Atwood a few years ago, but have been steadily devouring her work since. The MaddAddam trilogy and Handsmaid's Tale are awesome, obviously, but also great are Edible Woman and Blind Assassin. Cat's Eye and Robber Bride were also good, but didn't stand out in my mind as much as her other works, though they were strong in their own way. She is really amazing at building characters and unfolding her stories one step at a time, nothing is ever revealed too soon. I'm excited to read Alias Grace!

Erin (theunconsoled) | 1 comments I just checked her bibliography and I've read all of her novels except for Lady Oracle, Bodily Harm and Life Before Man. My favourites are pretty much exactly the same as Stephanie's!

It's been about 9 years since I read Alias Grace and I'm really looking forward to re-reading it. I have a terrible memory, so I'm a big re-reader of my favourite books. And I remember loving Alias Grace but can only recall the barest outline of the story, so it's kind of like I'm reading it again for the first time.

Annie | 101 comments Mod
Awesome, I'm glad you guys are excited to read it! :)

I started Alias Grace last night and it is good! I'm an Atwood fan girl now.

Annie | 101 comments Mod
Michele wrote: "I started Alias Grace last night and it is good! I'm an Atwood fan girl now."

My copy is waiting for me to pick it up at the library! :D

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (missllovesyou) | 2 comments I'm waiting for it to become available at my library. Very excited! I read Oryx and Crake, Year of the Flood, and Handmaid's Tale this summer. She is so great!

message 9: by Christina (new)

Christina Philbert | 1 comments Love Atwood! Was introduced to her in college via Handmaids Tale. Just finished up the I'm Starved For You short stories... Looking forward to reading with you girls!

Christin, I've only read one "I'm Starved For You" story. Are there separate titles? I really liked the one I read.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (ecdahl) | 4 comments The Handmaid's Tale is one of my favorite books - and I had the privilege of seeing Atwood speak at the National Book Festival in DC this year. She's incredible! I can't wait to read more of her work.

message 12: by Chantel (new)

Chantel Worley McCray I just joined this group because Alias Grace was currently being read. I just finished reading Oryx & Crake, The Year of the Flood, and MaddAddam for another book group I'm in. Loved them. Previously, I had read The Handmaid's Tale and The Blind Assassin and thought they were both wonderful. So now I'm thinking Margaret Atwood must be brilliant and may possibly be my favorite author. Reading everything by her may be a New Years resolution.

Chantel,
I am a recent Atwood convert. About a year ago I read The Handmaid's Tale for the first time, and it was incredible. Then I stumbled on Oryx and Crake. I devoured that series, and I was so excited that this group chose Alias Grace. Fantastic work.

message 14: by Chantel (new)

Chantel Worley McCray I may be late, but I just ordered Alias Grace and will begin as soon as it arrives. Hopefully, over the holidays.

Annie | 101 comments Mod
Chantel wrote: "I may be late, but I just ordered Alias Grace and will begin as soon as it arrives. Hopefully, over the holidays."
Yay! I'm glad! I haven't finished my current story so I'm hoping to start it soon.

message 16: by El (new) - rated it 4 stars

El I'm new to this group. You guys snagged me with your Atwood-reading.

I'm a big Atwood fan. It started in college when we had to read The Handmaid's Tale as part of the entry requirements. One of the English professors then created a class around Atwood and her writing, and it turned out to be one of my favorite courses ever. Since then I've tried to read anything by Atwood I can get my hands on.

Alias Grace was one we had to read in class, but that was so long ago now that I am planning to re-read it. I just dusted off my copy this weekend and am looking forward to starting it soon.

Annie | 101 comments Mod
El wrote: "I'm new to this group. You guys snagged me with your Atwood-reading.

I'm a big Atwood fan. It started in college when we had to read The Handmaid's Tale as part of the entry require..."

Awesome! Glad to have you! Let us know what you thought of Alias Grace! :)