Ask Carole and John Barrowman - Monday, December 9th! discussion

Featured Author Chat - 2013 > Ask Carole or John!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 162 (162 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) Welcome to the group! Carole and John will be answering questions throughout the day on Monday, December 9th in this thread only. In the meantime if you have a question for the author couple, or just want to introduce yourself, feel free to do so in this thread.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Carr (escarr15) | 1 comments I loved the book, especially as I bought it signed (sadly not personally). My question is:
Did you have complete freedom with the plot, or were you given a brief to write to that would fit in with canon?

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo (lew_jo) | 1 comments Do American audiences react differently to the show, and Captain Jack in particular, compared to audiences in the UK?

message 4: by Ollie (new)

Ollie Bradshaw (sebastian-bach) | 3 comments Im sure they do

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 2 comments After Miracle Day, did you realize that there was more story to tell and is that why Exodus Code was created?

message 6: by Cweb (new)

Cweb | 1 comments This book was fantastic. Are you looking forward to writing new Torchwood books, or even a revival on tv eventually?

message 7: by Michi (new)

Michi (mhbtno) | 2 comments Hi Carole, hi John! I love the book, especially because the Torchwood world lives on in the story. I had the ... uhm ... pleasure of meeting John and getting my copy signed at Fedcon in Düsseldorf. We had a little discussion - you, John, started it! ;-) - about the character of Gwen and her role in the book. So my question for you follows up Elizabeths: If there were restrictions for Gwens character, how far did you stretch the boundaries and were there some ideas that didn't make the final plot?

message 8: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (momanem35) | 1 comments Hello from Los Angeles! Just curious, will you be doing a book tour? I'd love to meet you both and get a signed copy of the book! And I know my kids would be thrilled for a chance to meet Captain Jack.

message 9: by Iris (new)

Iris Halliez | 2 comments Hi Carole and John, I totally loved the book, it's beyond a doubt, the best written Torchwood book out there. I'd be thrilled about a sequel. Have you planned anything yet or are you first going to finish the Hollow Earth series? (Which is awesome too!) Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions and much love from Berlin :-)

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura De kreij | 1 comments I just wanted to tell you that you are awesome and faaaaaaabulous :D! My question is: is there any kind of (plan for) a theatre tour/book tour/concert tour/ANYTHING AT ALL on the programme for you in the future? Would love to see it!

message 11: by Laragh (new)

Laragh | 3 comments Hi Carole and John! Love you guys and the book! My question is: was it hard to write together? Did you ever argue about where the plot was going or any of the characters? Also, I know John moves about quite a bit, so did that make it harder? Thank you for being awesome!

message 12: by Iris (new)

Iris Halliez | 2 comments Sorry forgot to ask, are there any news regarding a translation into German? Still crossing fingers there will be one... Thank you! xx

message 13: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 1 comments Is there a lot of sibling rivalry/ tomfoolery during the writing process or moreso in your everyday lives?

message 14: by Jakub (new)

Jakub | 1 comments I love you so much John and you are my biggest idol. My question is: Whence idea to write a book?
Love, from Sweden

message 15: by Katie (last edited Dec 09, 2013 08:44AM) (new)

Katie (skateanddonate) | 2 comments Loved Anything Goes. John's voice was so captured in the written form.

I would love to read Torchwood: Exodus Code, but the pricing is outrageous and the library doesn't carry it.

Any plans to release the title for libraries to purchase?

message 16: by Courtney (last edited Dec 07, 2013 07:47PM) (new)

Courtney (capra124) | 1 comments Loved each book so far. I'm wondering if there's going to be audio versions of the Hollow Earth series released in the US. I know there's one in the UK, but so far, nothing in the US. Also, will there ever be an audio version of John's second memoir, 'I Am What I Am'?

message 17: by Aparajitabasu (new)

Aparajitabasu | 1 comments My question to John and Carol, how do you divide the writing process for a book between yourselves?

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Quinn | 2 comments My question is: John, will you marry me?

message 19: by Patricia (last edited Dec 08, 2013 03:19AM) (new)

Patricia Taylor | 1 comments Hi John & Carole. Just wondering - do your respective husbands have any input into your books? Do they get to read them before publication?

Anna || BooksandBookends (booksandbookends) | 1 comments Hi John and Carol,
I've read and loved all of your books. My question is:
When writing collaboratively, how does the writing process differ from writing individually and do you prefer writing together or individually?

Thank you,
Anna :)

message 21: by Anne (new)

Anne Louise | 1 comments Hi John and Carole

I enjoyed the book immensely, great writing and fantastic energy all through the story. Would love to read another Torchwood story that you may write in the future.

Anne Louise

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2 comments Hi guys!

Loved Exodus Code. I'll be reading it again on my way up to see John in panto :-D

Are there any sequels planned yet?

My question is: if you come up with a really cool idea that doesn't really fit with the book you're writing, do you save it for another book or try and adapt it to fit the one you're working on?

Thanks!

Amy

(ps Carole, did you ever get revenge on John for crashing your solo writers panel at Dragon Con?!)

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (WelshAngelSarah) | 1 comments Hi John. Hi Carole. I met you both when you done a book signing for Anything Goes in Cardiff. I was wondering if there is any concerts coming up in the future?

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris | 1 comments Hi! I became a fan of Torchwood after watching Miracle Day on Starz, then backtracked to even a newly rekindled love for Doctor Who. I totally enjoyed reading Exodus Code, yet I question why you didn't expand more on Rex's inability to die (or rather the impression the viewer was left with)?

And as always Thank You for the hours of entertainment you bring me and my 8 year old son.

message 25: by Lisa P (last edited Dec 08, 2013 09:28AM) (new)

Lisa P For those of us who are big Torchwood fans, I just want to say a big "thank you" for continuing the story with Exodus Code. I hope there will be many more books from you two in the near future.

I am curious about your writing process together...How do you do it while living so far away from each other?

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Quinn | 2 comments Another question. I think your books were translated in many different languages, or at least I'm pretty sure that a lot of people all over the world read them.
My question is: what do you think about people who are not native English speakers, but who read your books anyway? It happens a lot. For example, here in Italy. By the way, Italy says 'hi' to you. And yes, we can speak English.

message 27: by Eve (last edited Dec 09, 2013 12:55AM) (new)

Eve Thomas-gabard | 3 comments Hello !!! I'm a big fan of Torchwood, I can not wait to read Exodus Code! I think you make a very good pair of writers (I read Hollow Earth, it is excellent!).
My question is: Is that, like Hollow Earth, there will be a release in French?
Good luck to you !!
Xoxo from France

message 28: by Kiki (new)

Kiki | 1 comments Hi Carole, Hi John,

a real treat the books, really really enjoyed reading such a brilliant story. Love all the characters and read the books to my friends twins (Josh and Rebecca) both fascinated by the adventures of the Calder twins;) Not a question though, just wanted to say thank you. Have a nice and festive advent.

message 29: by Ianto (new)

Ianto Tarrant | 2 comments Hi John and Carole, Loved all of the books so far, just really hopeful that you'll come out to New Zealand. You have a lot of fans over here who would love to meet you.
Will there be another Torchwood novel and I have to ask will you be allowed to do a retrospective story featuring the original team?
All the best with Panto John and Marry Christmas to you both and your families.

message 30: by Chloe (last edited Dec 08, 2013 12:44PM) (new)

Chloe | 1 comments Hi John and Carole!

I think you are both very inspiring! I found Torchwood brilliant! It took me to another world where I could spectate on moving events and inconvenience.In view of the show it has inspired me in many ways, such as: by the characters who are loving, crazy, and daring, of which taught me life should be respected, so thank you for such an amazing show! I find your writing ingenious and prodigous!

My question is: Carole, how did it feel trying to write for a show which is usually known worldwide, and John, how does it feel writing, instead of reading lines from such famous writers as Russell T Davies, having the power over Torchwood's fate in your own little short adventure?

Thanks a bunch! :)

message 31: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 1 comments Hello,
I have watched Torchwood and enjoyed it. I have only read Hollow Earth so far and am wondering how many more books are planned in that series? Also, is it easier to co-write a book or write alone? How do you manage the writing? Do you trade off writing, do you plan together,etc?
Thanks!

message 32: by Elias (last edited Dec 08, 2013 01:23PM) (new)

Elias (iamnotthrowingawaymyshot) | 2 comments Hi, John!

I want to let you know that Captain Jack Harkness is one of my favorite characters in Doctor Who and Torchwood (rivaled only by the Doctor himself). And a great part of what makes him such an amazing character is your brilliant performance. Also, I like the Hollow Earth books a lot, as well. As you can tell, I'm a huge fan of yours; you're seriously one of my heroes!

Anyway, I was wondering if there will be a new season of Torchwood, if so, when it will be, or if Jack will return to Doctor Who any time soon. I'd like to see him meet the Eleventh Doctor at least once before he regenerates. I miss Torchwood so much! Anyway, I'm just really glad for the opportunity to say hi, and if you manage to respond (I'd understand if you didn't, because I'm sure you're really quite busy), it would truly make my week!

Sincerely,
Elias!

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2 comments Would you ever consider writing a Torchwood story featuring the original team?

message 34: by Angela (new)

Angela | 2 comments Hi John and Carole,
I enjoyed Exodus Code (that I had John sign in Dallas)very much. I bought my niece and nephew each a copy of the Hollow Earth books and they loved them.
My question actually is from them, they want to know when the next one is coming out and are you guys planning another book tour or to be at a con together sometime next year? Sorry John my niece says she wants to meet Carole more as she wants to be an author herself when she grows up and knows you may have helped with the story but Carole did the actual writing, however my nephew wants to meet Captain Jack.

Thank you,
Angela

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1 comments Hello guys! I really enjoyed Exodus Code and just thank you both for writing it. I feel like Torchwood had a story that just needed to be continued somehow.
My question is, how did you come up with the characters in the book? I thought all those characters made for the novel were perfect! Were they thought up together, or did you each think of different ones, or something entirely different?

Thank you and I hope you both have an amazing day!
Rachael xxx

message 36: by Lorenzo (new)

Lorenzo Bugarin | 1 comments Hi Guys! I think that it's really cool that you're doing this. John, your take on Malcom Merlin/Dark Archer is one of the highlights on Arrow. What are the chances that you may get to play the character in the rumored Justice League movie?

On a side note, the Black Friday segment you did on Attack of the Show with Matt Mira made me laugh so hard I almost cried.

Thank you and I wish all the best.
Lorenzo

message 37: by Ollie (new)

Ollie Bradshaw (sebastian-bach) | 3 comments Hello guys! Your awesome!!!!!!!!! And I must say that John you inspired me so much. I was the shy kid for the longest time and I was quiet sducidal for a wile and your work kind of rose me up. Now I'm the happy kid who is not shy but actually in a bunch of drama stuff. Also thanks to you I am open and proud of sexuality.
Thanks without I may not have been alive right now so just know Your amazing and making a difference in peoples lives.

message 38: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 1 comments Hello!! As someone from Peru I was pleased with the book being located here, at first I thought it had little mistakes, but then I realized that they were referring to a small village that is actually 3 hours from my house, so I was surprised about how good the research was(it's not the classical Peruvian settings).Congratulations!! people normally don't care that much about details, the fact that you did made me incredibly happy :D
Brenda Santiago

message 39: by Alexea (new)

Alexea | 1 comments Hi John Hi Carole.
You have a great writing style. Have you ever considered Steampunk. As you can guess I'm a steampunker and would love to read some steampunk stories from you. Have a most Splendid day. Love and Hugs to you both.
Alexea. X

message 40: by Elena (last edited Dec 09, 2013 07:42AM) (new)

Elena Mateescu | 2 comments Hello! In 2009 and 2010, in my country, Romania, AXN aired and re-aired Doctor Who and Torchwood. I discovered two very good tv shows. The first, Doctor Who, was very spectacular tv show and we, all four, a very regular family with two children (7 and 4 years old at that time), became big fans. But the second, Torchwood, was simply astonishing. It was aired one hour after midnight, but me and my husband, we didn't miss any episode. We love sci fi, but Torchwood was different. We have very good tv shows, more from US, but these become almost the same tv show, very predictable. Torchwood was different, if basically it is a procedural and characters follow some format, surprisingly they evolve, giving actors the opportunity to do a good performance and eventually to escape from typecasting. When I read „Exodus Code” (thanks for Royal Mail, I had my copy, one day after the UK release, and, in same way, „Torchwood - Miracle Day”, never aired in my country) the first thought was why an actor write a story for his character, because he wished to play a situation (I hope that theatrical term has the same meaning in English) never provided, but so suitable or, maybe, so unexpected? Spoiler alert: but Capitan Jack babysitting....priceless and, after so much vulnerability showed in Miracle Day, how complicated, in a good sense, as character, he becomes... Or is it only for keeping Torchwood alive? Thank you for your work. I read Exodus Code in two days, with real joy, I hope you will write a second Torchwood novel. Thank you for your patience, my writer skills are very poor in English. I don't really want an answer, just so you know you have fans even in that part of the world.

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (bucketofrhymes) Hi John and Carole!
One of the (MANY!) things I loved about Exodus Code was the use of synaesthesia. I have it myself, so it always makes my day to see it show up in a book. :)
So, what made you decide to include synaesthesia in Exodus Code?
Thanks!!
Sarah

message 42: by Ulrike (new)

Ulrike Tellwak | 1 comments Hi Carole and John
I love your books, and read all of them, and loved it.
My question are:
Have you planned to write a book folloing "Exodus Code"?
That would be awesome.

I now, that "Hollow Earth" are avaliable in German translation from Spring on. Can we German Fans hope for the book "Exodus Code" also?
That would be great.
Thank you.
Greetings from Lower Bavaria
Ulrike :)
sorry for my rusty English

message 43: by Satoko (new)

Satoko Sato | 1 comments Hello Carole and John. I really love your books! You already might have answered this but I wonder why you chose Peru as the setting for this story :)

message 44: by Madouc (last edited Dec 09, 2013 05:05AM) (new)

Madouc | 5 comments Hello Carole and John! :-)

John, considering some "chat" you had with Alex Kingston, and the fact that Captain Jack is quite a "free and wild" character, do you consider a new season of Torchwood could be set without him, like in Glasgow? Maybe in a different time? While Jack would be wandering around somewhere else in the universe?

Not that I wish not seeing you again, obviously :-p

Thanks to both of you for taking the Torchwood story further. But please keep going on with "Hollow Earth"!
Best wishes from France :-)

Madouc

message 45: by Laragh (new)

Laragh | 3 comments I just wanted to add, I'm a huge fan of your work (both of you!) and you're my inspirations! Also, quick kind of unrelated question: how's Finn? He's so adorable! Carole, have you put him in any cute outfits lately?

message 46: by Frank (new)

Frank Claudy | 1 comments Iris wrote: "Sorry forgot to ask, are there any news regarding a translation into German? Still crossing fingers there will be one... Thank you! xx"
If you are looking for a translator for German I would be available.

message 47: by Jillyp (new)

Jillyp | 3 comments Hello lovely folks!
I’m stealing the opportunity to say my piece.
I’m a rural Australian mum, happily married to my high school sweetheart. My reason for opening with that? Well, I grew up in (lets face it) a predominantly homophobic society. What I have always wished to say to John, is thank you for breaking down the walls. Thank you for challenging me and every other comfortable heterosexual who couldn’t even see there were walls in our acceptance of others! Before I discovered the man that is at the heart of Captain Jack, I never understood. You John, changed that. Now those thanks include Carole as well, for becoming a part of that powerful story.

Thank you for showing me what the fight for equality is truly about.

Now, the book! It's magic. It brings back the charm of the written word, because within those pages we get answers to what lies within Jacks mind, previously only alluded to by John’s incredible ( <3 ) acting. Those glimpses are a credit to you both. I truly hope to meet you one day, as so many do. Unfortunately, I have the nagging suspicion that once will never be enough!

Please keep writing. Please keep reaching out to people like me. As you know, it’s worth it and its working.

From a lover not a hater,
(P.s call me?)
Jilly.

message 48: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Lindner | 2 comments Hi John and Carole,
about Exodus Code, I would like to know, apart from Capt. Jack not being allowed to swear, were there any other restrictions as to his character, what he couldn't do/mustn't do, what would be considered out of character? Or, what you both, especially you, John, would have considered out of character.
Thanks!
Btw, love the book. :)

message 49: by The (new)

The (znomad) Hi John and Carol,
Greetings from Egypt. I've read and loved all of the Torchwood books, but Exodus Code is one of the best written!

•• My question is:
When writing collaboratively,do you write together or individually? And why ?

Thanks,
Angel.

message 50: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valeriahawaii) | 3 comments Aloha from Hawaii, John and Carole!

First off, thanks so much for a great series of books (read all but Bone Quill, reading that one right now). I've read all the Torchwood books and Exodus Code is by far the best one.

I'd love to see you two write more Torchwood (or any, really) books. If, or hopefully when, you do, what aspects of Captain Jack's character would you choose to explore or expand?

Happy Holidays and Panto season!

P.S. It's too bad Hawaii didn't pass marriage equality in time for you and Scott, John, but we'd still be happy to see you, and you too, Carole, for a visit. Or visits!

« previous 1 3 4