Inspiring Book Club discussion

Book Discussions > Tao Te Ching

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin, Awakened Dreamer (new)

Robin Craig Clark (rudhek) | 93 comments Mod
Reading Tao Te Ching is like looking into a mirror and seeing the reflection of the universe there. A state of peace and happiness is often felt when reading through the pages, and a deep inner connection to life is constantly renewed.

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter Shasta (goodreadscompetermtshasta) I knew Jane English, the co-creator and photographer for the book when she lived here in Mount Shasta. She is the one who really made the book happen. Likewise,the words of Lao Tzu would never have been written down if the gate keeper had not insisted. However, no one knows who really wrote the book.
"And it is on these spaces where there is nothing that the usefulness of the house depends.
Therefore just as we take advantage of what is, we should recognize the usefulness of what is not." (chap. 11, tr. Waley)

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael James (discoveringmichael) | 6 comments How would you describe Tao Te Ching's views? Intrigued by what was shared so far, but have never read of him.

message 4: by Ran (new)

Ran Zilca (ranzilca) | 3 comments I view the Tao as a "pocketbook for life". Five years ago I went on a cost-to-coast motorcycle ride, and spent 5 weeks lone on the road in contemplation. The Tao was in my "tank bag" the entire time, and every day I would browse through it.

The main value to me is the thought that it provokes, and how radically different is the mindset that it describes compared with what I experience in daily life.

message 5: by Robin, Awakened Dreamer (new)

Sounds like a wonderful journey, Ran.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan Joyce | 20 comments Ran, a good description of it. I love Illusions by Richard Bach for the same reasons. It sends me faraway to dream/thinking.

message 7: by Saiisha (new)

Saiisha Love the Tao Te Ching - so subtle, sublime... each time I pick it up to read a few lines, I come away with something different, I feel a little bit wiser :)

message 8: by Cristina (last edited May 07, 2017 11:10AM) (new)

Cristina Smith (cristina_smith) | 7 comments I love this book- read it years ago and revisited it. Even used it as a basis for my book. Currently working with the quote By letting go it all gets done. So simple yet so profound!

message 9: by HeyLucindaO! (new)

HeyLucindaO! (heylucinda) I have just requested this book from my local library and look forward to reading it. Thank you for bringing this book to my attention.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim Sherblom | 3 comments You might want to be mindful about which translation of the Tao you read. I have a half dozen different translations and they can convey very different meanings from this ancient Taoist text. My favorite translation today is DAO DE JING, "Making Life Significant" by Roger Ames and David Hall. This is one of my favorite spiritual texts.

message 11: by HeyLucindaO! (new)

HeyLucindaO! (heylucinda) Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for that transition.

message 12: by Robin, Awakened Dreamer (new)

I have the translation by Ralph Alan Dale with beautiful black and white photographs by John Cleare. Also includes Chinese text.
Published by Watkins Publishing, London.

message 13: by Cristina (new)

Cristina Smith (cristina_smith) | 7 comments There are three classic translations available online in the public domain- Legge, Merel and Blackney. They are from the GNU Public Library License as published by the Free Software Foundation.

It was interesting to read each next to each other to see what a difference the translation can make.

message 14: by HeyLucindaO! (new)

HeyLucindaO! (heylucinda) Robin wrote: "I have the translation by Ralph Alan Dale with beautiful black and white photographs by John Cleare. Also includes Chinese text.
Published by Watkins Publishing, London."

@Robin & Cristina
Looks like this book is pretty special. I have requested the DAO DE JING, "Making Life Significant" by Roger Ames and David Hall from the library and plan to read it in June (dedicating June to reading more about spirituality). Looking forward to it.

message 15: by Ivan (new)

Ivan Kehelly | 3 comments I keep returning to this book. Get yourself a well illustrated copy. It is like mental decluttering. I recommend you just read small sections of it. Let it seep into you. Ultimately it is not an intellectual read. If you think you understand it....you don't.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim Sherblom | 3 comments Credible words are not eloquent;
Eloquent words are not credible.
The wise are not erudite;
The erudite are not wise
The adept are not generalists;
The generalists are not adept.
"Dao de jing"

message 17: by Klara (new)

Klara Kleplova | 1 comments Only just started reading but seems already like wonderful journey with powerful message 🙏🏻

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim Sherblom | 3 comments Jim wrote: "Credible words are not eloquent;
The erudite are not wise
"Dao de jing""

Jim wrote: "Credible words are not eloquent;
The erudite are not wise
"Dao de jing""

The Tao sometimes has its greatest impact taken in its smallest doses.