All About Books discussion

Past Posts > January 2014 Fiction Group Read

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone :)

Shirley thought and I agreed, that Leslie's idea to have the January monthly fiction book be one of Doris Lessing's would be a good and interesting option.

What would everyone think of a list of Doris Lessing books being put into a poll? Would it be something that would interest you or would you prefer the nominations as is the norm?

message 2: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I'd really like to read a Doris Lessing book as the January fiction read :)

message 3: by Pink (new)

Pink I'd be happy to read a Doris Lessing book for January instead of usual nominations.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I love all the new ideas from the group, I will try join in. I think it's a great idea

message 5: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11721 comments Mod
Good idea. I don't mind what we do.

message 6: by Valetta (new)

Valetta | 33 comments A friend of mine just finished The Golden Notebook and found it extremely boring so I'm a bit diffident now but I think it is worth to give it a try.
The Grass is Singing sounds very interesting and I would propose it if Lessing is the theme chosen for January.

message 7: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
I've been told that The Diary of a Good Neighbour is absolutely To Be Read ...

message 8: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11721 comments Mod
For this I'm happy to go with the flow and let others decide for me.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for your feedback so far everyone :)

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments I like the idea a lot. I've read two of her books, I guess they are her most famous ones: The Golden Notebook and The Grass is Singing and I am not sure if I'd be re-reading them should one of them win, but regardless of that, it sounds like a nice plan for January.

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments P.S. Just found an article by the Huffington Post on five novels that they'd recommend (especially for people who DIDN'T like The Golden Notebook):

The Marriages Between Zones Three, Four, and Five (Science Fiction)
The Good Terrorist (literary fiction)
The Fifth Child(contemporary gothic horror)
Mara and Dann (Adventure)
On Cats (...on cats;))

message 12: by Bionic Jean (last edited Nov 23, 2013 01:22PM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I think Doris Lessing loved cats and wrote a few books about them. One I have Particularly Cats and More Cats seems to be two collections.

message 13: by Tweedledum (last edited Nov 24, 2013 01:32AM) (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2033 comments Yes Doris Lessing should be up there. I second
The Golden Notebook

message 14: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) And I'd like to second The Grass is Singing as a reread if we are into nominations yet, are we Becca? (Although I'd probably try to read whatever was chosen, provided I could get hold of it in an accessible format.)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought about putting the list that Jenny suggested in to a poll, what do you all think? Or would you rather nominate?

message 16: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Well, perhaps Jenny's list, plus The Grass is Singing could go in the poll. I don't really mind, as I haven't read any of them.

message 17: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Sounds good to me :)

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments + The Golden Notebook maybe, as it has been seconded as well?

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments What I find quite impressive when looking at this list is that Doris Lessing really seems to have covered every second genre there is!

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 01, 2013 12:54PM) (new)

Excellent :)

I will check that all of the books (The Golden Notebook, The Grass is Singing, The Fifth Child, The Good Terrorist, Mara and Dann, The Marriages Between Zones Three, Four, and Five, On Cats) are readily available in the UK. If anyone in other countries cannot find them where you live, just let me know :)

EDIT: They are all available in paperback and on Kindle on Amazon and are also available for the Kobo in the UK.

message 21: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristilarson) | 377 comments I have always wanted to read something by Lessing and agree that now would be a good time to do it. However, I tried to read The Golden Notebook a few years and didn't make it very far. I don't think I'll be attempting that book again, but maybe I'll read The Grass is Singing.

message 22: by LauraT (new)

Jean wrote: "I think Doris Lessing loved cats and wrote a few books about them. One I have Particularly Cats and More Cats seems to be two collections."

an I second this one - or two?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura, if you want to suggest one that is not on the final list you can and I'll add it :)

message 24: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I would suggest adding The Memoirs of a Survivor to the poll. I haven't read any of her work, so I am not recommending based on personal knowledge, but it is one of her books on the Guardian's list of '1000 Novels Everyone Should Read' (along with The Golden Notebook and The Grass is Singing).

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Leslie :) I'll add that to the final list.

I'll keep this thread open until the 6th of Dec incase anyone else has any suggestions for books they want included in the poll. The poll will be up on the 7th Dec.

message 26: by LauraT (new)

Becca wrote: "Laura, if you want to suggest one that is not on the final list you can and I'll add it :)"

The problem is that I don't have the list clear!
I'd like to propose On Cats

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll post the full list when I get on a computer.

message 28: by LauraT (new)

Perfect Becca!!!!

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 04, 2013 01:05PM) (new)

So this is the list to go to poll - if I have missed any that anyone has mentioned, let me know.

The Golden Notebook
The Grass is Singing
The Fifth Child
The Good Terrorist
Mara and Dann
The Marriages Between Zones Three, Four, and Five
On Cats
The Memoirs of a Survivor

You have until Friday to suggest a book for the poll, so there's still plenty time if you have a Doris Lessing book you would like added :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi all! The poll is now up but is not open until tomorrow. I can still edit it so if anyone else would like a book added, just post here or send me a mail :)

Incase I'm not online tomorrow, happy voting! :)

message 31: by Eliana (new)

Eliana | 24 comments I'm about to start an interesting looking Lessing book: Prisons We Choose to Live Inside. It is non-fiction, so I don't think it qualifies...

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Could somebody post a link to the poll so I can access it on the ap? Or tell me if how I can find group polls in the ap! Away for the weekend

message 33: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Heather, I can't actually see the poll yet but once it is up and running I will post a link for you here!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Eliana wrote: "I'm about to start an interesting looking Lessing book: Prisons We Choose to Live Inside. It is non-fiction, so I don't think it qualifies..."

Yeah sorry, unfortunately that is non-fiction.

I hadn't realised On Cats is also non-fiction, so that will have to be removed :-( sorry!

message 36: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments oooooh I just ordered 2 from this list I hope one of them wins the poll :)

message 37: by LauraT (new)

Me too!