YA LGBT Books discussion

Archived Threads > LGBT books releasing in 2014

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rainbowheart (last edited Nov 21, 2013 10:41AM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments Hi,

I hope this is the right folder for this. I saw one for New Releases but it seemed like this might fit better.

I really wanted to have a thread for LGBT-themed books releasing in 2014.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

I made a list for it, but I'm sure I'm missing a ton of stuff!

message 2: by Kaje (last edited Nov 21, 2013 11:09AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Hi,

I hope this is the right folder for this. I saw one for New Releases but it seemed like this might fit better.

I really wanted to have a thread for LGBT-themed books releasing in 2014.

https..."

This is fine - when the release dates are fixed, we'll get them into monthly threads, but I don't want to get too far ahead there. A couple of months out is about right, I think, for people looking for new books.

message 3: by Rainbowheart (last edited Nov 21, 2013 11:49AM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments Cool, thanks.

Just so everyone knows, I'm not totally sure everything on the list is LGBT and since they're not out yet, it's hard to check. If anything is on the list wrongly, let me know.

For example someone put The Winter Horses on their bisexual shelf, but that's about all I have to go on.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments So are there any mainstream m/m romances for next year besides Fan Art and One Man Guy? I've done a lot of searching for the 2014 list and those are the only two I found.

There are other books with gay male characters and m/m relationships but they aren't centered around the romance part. Most of those are fantasy or sci fi or the gay characters are a side plot.

Seems like there's way more lesbian stuff for 2014, which is interesting 'cause it's usually the other way around.

message 5: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Do you mean mainstream books or publishers?

A lot of the smaller niche LGBT publishers don't put out their potential new releases until a month or so before the publication date.

I can pretty much guarantee that more of these will be gay rather than lesbian stories with bi and trans stories being even thinner on the ground.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Bowler (michaeljbowler) | 82 comments This book releases January 16th from Harmony Ink. Jay Jordan Hawke is the author of the well-written anti-bullying novel, A Scout is Brave. His main teen character in both books, Native American Joshua, is endearing and immensely likable. Check this one out.
http://harmonyinkpress.com/coming-soo...

message 7: by Rainbowheart (last edited Dec 26, 2013 07:02PM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments K wrote: "Do you mean mainstream books or publishers?"

K, yeah, just the big mainstream publishers, not the niche ones. For example, Fan Art is Katherine Tegan Books and One Man Guy is Farrar, Straus and Giroux.

There's a ton of queer themed books that are self pubbed or come out of small presses but I'm really only interested in ones that get a mainstream release. As far as I can tell, there are only two of those kind of YA m/m romances for next year. But I'll keep looking in case more show up.

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments Can't wait for this!

My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories by Stephanie Perkins

It's short stories, and David Levithan and Holly Black are included, so I'm pretty positive at least some of them will be queer themed.

message 9: by Rainbowheart (last edited Jan 09, 2014 10:02AM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments Also really want to read....

Dark Metropolis by Jaclyn Dolamore (LGBT with zombies!)
Returning to Shore by Corinne Demas (MC with gay dad)
Moon at Nine by Deborah Ellis (Lesbians in Islamic country sentenced to death)

message 10: by Rainbowheart (last edited Jan 09, 2014 02:59PM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "For example someone put The Winter Horses on their bisexual shelf, but that's about all I have to go on...."

Just got confirmation that "The Winter Horses" has no LGBT content, so I removed it from the list. I was always unsure about that one, lol. Although it would have been really cool to have had queer themes in a WWII historical adventure.

message 11: by Rainbowheart (last edited Jan 18, 2014 09:09PM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Also really want to read....

Dark Metropolis by Jaclyn Dolamore (LGBT with zombies!)..."

Ok, just so no one is disappointed, I don't think Dark Metropolis actually has zombies after all. Too bad because I was really looking forward to a lesbian zombie story. According to the new description that was put out, it sounds more like Cassandra Clare-style fantasy.

message 12: by Rainbowheart (last edited Jan 21, 2014 11:33PM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments Just fyi....

I removed Teen Spirit from the list.

Forever Young Adult did a really thorough review and did not mention any LGBT elements, so I'm guessing it has none, even though someone did put it on their "lgbt" shelf.

message 13: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments By the way, there are now 72 books on the list!

Looks like it's shaping up to be a great year....

message 14: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments That's great :)

message 15: by Rainbowheart (last edited Feb 18, 2014 05:19PM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments Yeah, the list is getting really busy! Some major publishers are releasing stuff that I hadn't previously realized was LGBT.

Excited for....

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
The Boy I Love by Nina de Gramont
No One Needs to Know by Amanda Grace

message 16: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments Already up to 90 books!

message 17: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments I will release The Dark Chamber this year even if it is the last thing I do. Aiming for a summer release.

message 18: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments Ashlyn wrote: "I will release The Dark Chamber this year even if it is the last thing I do. Aiming for a summer release."

Good luck!

message 19: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments The list just hit 100 books!

And it's only April, so I expect it to grow even more. 2014 looks like a busy year for LGBT-themed YA.

message 20: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Frankel | 105 comments Twisted just came out in March, and if all goes according to plan (which it never really does) then Lindsay versus the Marauders (lesbian MC) will be out in June or July. The sequel might get done by November, but that's a little far ahead.

message 21: by Jo (new)

Jo Ramsey (Jo_Ramsey) | 1017 comments I don't have an official release date yet (June/July according to the contract), but Shoulder Pads and Flannel, the sequel to my novel Nail Polish and Feathers, will be out this summer from Harmony Ink Press.

message 22: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Frankel | 105 comments Congratulations, Jo!

message 23: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 171 comments OMG Jo! I loved Nail Polish and feathers!!!! I can't wait to read the sequel. Please keep us updated!!

YEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 24: by Jo (new)

Jo Ramsey (Jo_Ramsey) | 1017 comments Thanks, Jesse. And Teresa, wow! Thanks for telling me that; it made my day :) I've done second-round edits on the book, so we're probably about halfway through the process. And I have cover art :)

message 25: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 171 comments YEY!!! I loved the cover for Nail Polish and Feathers!!
Can't wait to see it.

message 26: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments The 2014 list just hit 130 books!

Some of those are small press, but most are by mainstream publishers. Looks like it's a really diverse year.

message 27: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments 159 books on the list!

Seems like a really active year for LGBT YA.

message 28: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments Thanks for keeping track and helping us stay up on it. Between you and K, I love the way our release threads and book lists are growing. A great year so far :)

message 29: by S. (new)

S. Aksah | 11 comments Great! Ive self-published a short story. Not sure if its appropriate gor the thread though.

message 30: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments S. wrote: "Great! Ive self-published a short story. Not sure if its appropriate for the thread though."

If you self-pubbed it somewhere it's available for download, you might want to list it in the appropriate month in our New Releases folder - just fin the thread for the month you released it and put in a new comment with the book information.

message 31: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Frankel | 105 comments Found out some good news. The sequel to Lindsay Versus the Marauders--entitled Lindsay, Jo and the Tree of Forever--will be out October 31st, just in time for Halloween. I have another thread going where I've been offering ARCS's of both (in PDF, mobi, and e-pub form) for those who want it for a read-and-review thing, so if anyone wants one--and I'll throw in both because why not?--just message me here with your email address (to be kept confidential) and specify which form you want.

message 32: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments I see you posted in the read-to-review folder too. Hopefully you'll get some takers.

message 33: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 171 comments Hi Jesse,

I have no books that I have to review right now, so if you want me to read and review both books not is a good time! LOL You have mu email addi already. I Prefer PDF format.

Teresa

message 34: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Frankel | 105 comments They should be in your mailbox, Teresa. Enjoy!