Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Off Topic > Holiday Baking

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Lawson | 91 comments Okay, so this one it totally off topic but it's what is keeping me away from following up on threads here and interfering with my writing.

Who else bakes? Do you have a system? What are you baking this year? What are your specialties?

I give out my baked goods in 3 batches so I'm not completely insane at Christmas and my first batch goes out this weekend. I'm trying to keep my list shorter this year and doing pumpkin bread, challah, chocolate triple chocolate chip cookies, banana chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and chipotle chocolate snickerdoodles.

message 2: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 1053 comments Mod
Now you are making me hungry!! I usually don't bake for Xmas, we never spend the holiday home but I might this year since the hubby will be on call and we will spend Xmas and new year by ourselves.
The problem is, I don't know what to bake. My husband is has a sweet tooth and he buys sweets all year long and when I bake something it usually stays there. (That doesn't bode well for my baking skills huh?)

Now, may I ask what the heck is chipotle chocolate snickerdoodles? Sounds delicious!

message 3: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Lawson | 91 comments I will post the recipe later. It's a vegan recipe but you can use regular milk. My daughters have a friend who is allergic to eggs so I have a few vegan cookie recipes on hand. They have a nice smokey flavor to them. I will warn you, I don't measure extracts or cinnamon.

message 4: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
I always make mince pies ^-^ and a gingerbread house since its traditional for Viking but since we hop between countries that's kinda all we do :]

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Bordner I eat anything within reach

message 6: by G.G. (new)

@Mark Oh, then you are on a seafood (see food) diet. You see food, you eat it. :P

message 7: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Thorogood (tonythorogood) If you have the inclination my wife and I wrote a sugar free cookbook, sugar is destroying our health so you should consider!!!!

message 8: by G.G. (new)

What do you replace sugar with? Because some replacement might be worse than the sugar itself.

message 9: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Thorogood (tonythorogood) Its not a matter of replacing sugar it is a matter of getting it out of your diet. And if you need to sweeten which seems to be a human desire there is Honey, Apple Juice (fructose), Molasses and dried fruit, the important thing is to eat natural foods not over processed chemicals. If you eat good food you feel good if you feel good you write...I would put good but that is so bad gramma that I have to write well no not well brilliantly. The brain and the body are one eat well and you will write well and by eating well I do not mean health foods but natural foods sorry to preach!!!

message 10: by Bisky (new)

Everything is ok in moderation as long as you keep a healthy lifestyle.

Also, what gets you is genetics. Some people are more effected by food additives than others.

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark Bordner When I do bake, it's generally in the winter, and I like to do chocolate chip cookies. I use an extra bag of chips added to the mix. Out of the oven, still warm, pour Hershey's chocolate syrup on top, add whip cream, eat with a fork. Heaven !

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hawes (little_red_writes) | 143 comments I like making chocolate chip cookies with mint choc. chips;-) and speaking of our coffee thread, I make these cappuccino cookies frosted w/ melted choc. chips! But I don't bake very often anymore b/c I' never stop w/ just one. Might start back up again but only for Christmas!

message 13: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 49 comments Well, we just had our Thanksgiving. It was held early this year because so many people in the family are in medicine and have to work Thanksgiving day.
I made hashbrown casserole and it was a hit! There wasn't a spoon full left! Also I made peanut butter banana nut bread and it was devoured aswell! I was so happy because that was the first time I have cooked for the holidays.

message 14: by Bisky (new)

I have to hide the bacon around christmas. My nan doesn't really believe in allergies and tries her best to put it over everything :p

message 15: by G.G. (new)

Allergic to bacon? Oh what a calamity! No but seriously who in their right mind would be allergic to bacon? Oh sorry I said seriously... I've never heard of anyone being allergic to bacon before. Sure my father in law claims he is allergic to pork but when I do my PORK spear ribs he always asks for them even if I cooked something else for him. He then tells me that it's not the same... I guess what he means is that he hates the pork his wife serves him. :P

message 16: by Bisky (new)

Hahaha! I am allergic to pork, all pork products :p its a pain in the butt, I love a good sausage.

(steady on lads)

message 17: by G.G. (new)

Yikes! Pork is so good! So I guess you're stuck with turkey bacon huh? :(

message 18: by Therese (new)

Therese Vannier (theresevannier) Mark wrote: "I eat anything within reach"

Mark wrote: "I eat anything within reach"

I cook anything within reach!

message 19: by Bisky (new)

Calm down with the link posting there, Therese xD

And yes, I'm stuck with turkey bacon :| It's not so super good for you anyway, but still :[

Took me a few years to find out that was what was making me sick. Mum can't eat it either, but she didn't like bacon anyway xP