Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > What Did You Do All Summer When You Were a Kid? (____-mobiles)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This article got me thinking...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayofl...

Get ready for an rant here. When I was a kid I did NOT ask my parents to entertain me all summer. Nor did I go to camps, on many trips, etc. I got my ass out of the house and got my friends together and we played baseball, went swimming, watched tv, and hung out. Now...one big difference...we essentially had the run of the entire north side of Chicago, and I think parents are a lot more careful with what their kids do and where they go now...I know I am...but...can't kids entertain themselves? Can't they can't they can't they?

And what did you do all summer as a kid?

Rant over.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 16, 2009 12:35PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments (Actually, I should add my kids go to a free-district sponsored summer school {but with fun classes, like, Science in Nature or whatever} for the mornings, and they can go to an organized park and rec in the afternoons...starting in a couple weeks. So they have way more structure than I did, for better or for worse. So apparently my kids can't entertain themselves. But I've very much tried to break them of the habit of expecting an adult to supervise/play with them every second.)

message 3: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (buckythecat) Well, we lived in the city, so my parents made me stay inside any time they were away, but when I went to either grandparents' place, we had the run of the place. Basically, go wherever you want as long as you can hear someone yell your name. No way in hell I'd let my daughter roam around all day on a horse by herself like I was allowed to do. I hate that I've been caught in the culture of fear. Also, I wallowed around and read and complained about how hot it was the rest of the time. HAHA.

message 4: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Baseball! Well, that only lasted until early July... Relax, I guess? Travel?

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments We spent our summers in the Adirondacks from the time I was nine, and we had pretty free range to wander -- we'd swim, walk to town, go to the library, play basketball...At night we'd go to the movie in town, or have bonfires on the beach, or play guitar.

I got a job at a barn when I was eleven, and my mother and my friend's grandmother took turns taking us there for five years until we got our drivers' licenses. There was nothing so glorious as riding all day, then coming home and jumping in the lake.

message 6: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I didn't attend any camps until high school. Well there was one or two associated with school that didn't occur during the summer so that doesn't count. I basically don't recall ever having a "traditional" summer vacation like others around me - lots of camps, trips to amusement parks, etc.

I think the lack mostly had to do with us moving every 2-3 years. And we'd travel on weekends some times to see things (no overnight stays). I vaguely recall this ONE time we camped as a family in Europe one weekend. That was cool.

But like RA - I mostly entertained myself. Video games, movies, tv, go outside for slip n' slide (or slip n' bleed), baby pools, swimming at local club, sprinkler runs, FULL SCALE WATER GUNS n' BUCKETS WARS, badminton (SUPER FUN smacking ppl or avoid getting hit), soccer, kickball, hide n' seek, ghost in the graveyard (after sunset hide n' seek), building a fort, finding a fort, defending a fort...didn't need any camps.

But I suppose families without other kids in the neighborhood would need camps for social interaction. There were a couple of years that I lived away from EVERYONE. Literally hours. So it was me and my younger brother by five years. Somehow we managed (aka reading) or going to stay at friend's house in another country while parents went on 2nd honeymoon.

Ah good memories.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Baltimore city kids need to find better uses for their energy. In our old neighborhood they played tag ON the cars. Our new neighborhood is better, but kids sometimes cut across our block on their way from the park to the convenience store and back, dropping trash as they go, and trying to knock down mailboxes and taunt my dog. Three teenage girls keyed every car on our block last week (thankfully neither of our cars were parked there at the time).

The other day my sister and Zu were playing stradminton (street badminton)and a little boy came up and stood closer and closer and closer to them until he was practically between them. They offered him a racquet and showed him how to hit. It took TWENTY minutes for him to connect racquet to shuttlecock on his own serve. They came in muttering about the sorry state of kids today.

message 8: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) o.O Sarah Pi what part of Baltimore are you from? Goodness. Keying :(

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah Sarah, I watched some of the Wire, and hoped that you didn't live around some of those places.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments what did i do in the summer when i was a kid? burned stuff

message 11: by Knarik (last edited Jun 18, 2009 07:52PM) (new)

Knarik I spent nearly two months each summer at my grandmother's village house, reading under green trees and blue sky, listening to birds, eating fruit from the trees and new-baked-hot-bread(by the way I also stole fruit from the trees of our naighboar with my friends) helping my grandma to grow tomatos and feeding chickens, trying to catch snakes and sitting till one o'clock at night under stars solving all kindes of pazzels and crosswords with my aunt.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm sure that was nice, Knarik.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Except for the catching snakes part, I agree. And the thievery.
Can't officially approve of a life of crime, as fun as it sounds...

message 14: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell St. Augustine started by stealing fruit. Look where it got him.

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments St. Augustine fascinates me. I loved Confessions. I know a lot of people who hate him, though. Apparently he was pretty hateful toward women. Is that true?

message 16: by Richard (new)

Richard | 347 comments I like to think it is, RA, because it canonizes me by comparison.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I still haven't watched the Wire.
My old neighborhood would certainly have been on there. I've got stories.

I now live in a neighborhood that I believe escaped the notice of The Wire, Homicide, etc. -- though we're featured prominently in John Waters' "A Dirty Shame". I'd rather live in a place known for a sex comedy than a crime drama.

message 18: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) eating fruit from the trees and new-baked-hot-bread

...I want fruit and fresh baked bread!! That was always great to have during a summer afternoon.

message 19: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell RA, I don't know what his attitude towards women was. I know he once told his mother he was going to the corner store to buy a pack of cigarettes (or whatever the 4th century equivalent of that statement is,) but then went to Italy for a couple of years.

message 20: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Chambers | 12 comments Being probably the only Canadian on here, when summer hit in our town and if you had relatives that were farmers, we shipped out as soon as school was out. Starting at about 12 or 13, we city slickers learned more about nature in two months than we could possibly learn in any biology class.

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori Sounds like New Yorkers are similar to Canadians, except instead of the grandparents, we were shipped off to 8 weeks of sleepover camp. And that's where we too learned all about nature. Including the birds and the bees.

message 22: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Chambers | 12 comments I won't say how many years ago this happened, but the memories get sharper the older I get. Must be a part of aging. My cousin, who was a country boy, owned a couple of horses. We would go riding after the chores were done and it was amazing how many girls we met who wanted to be our friends. The amazing part though, once the summer was over and I was back in school without my cousin, those same girls couldn't remember who I was when asked for a date.

message 23: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) I never went to summer camp. :( I mostly just hung out with my friends. We'd ride our bikes all over town, go to the park, and play in each others' yards. We just had to be in at dark.

message 24: by Knarik (new)

Knarik I always wanted to spent my summers hiking, exploring mountains and historical sites. I hope I will do it.

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
We spent many a day at the community pool.

That and riding bikes, playing in irrigation ditches and open fields, and the occasional hike/camping trip.

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lilly wrote: "Running away."

Where did you run to, Lilly? (I'm doing a survey.)

;)

message 27: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments "slip n' bleed" LOL Yep... that's it exactly, Tanja.

I remember playing in the creek behind our house & catching salamanders, putting on plays & musicals in the backyard, running around like wild natives in the 'forest' across the street, eating so many cherries that we'd puke, riding bikes, swimming... just being kids.

I hate it too that it just isn't as safe as it was. There's no way I'd let my kid run around like I did (of course, the old 'forest' is now McMansions & cookie-cutter houses). Also, I lived in a neighborhood with lots of kids... or maybe it was that the defined neighborhood stretched several blocks more than what I'd be comfortable with now. It's just a different world now.

message 28: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Chambers | 12 comments I agree with Sher. The world has definitely changed. When we were kids the only time you came in the house was to sleep and eat. Now the only time some kids leave the house is to go to the mall. We were so deprived. In my hometown we didn't have one mall. Thank goodness for the local library where you could lose yourself in rows of books. Those were the summers!!

message 29: by TxLadyForever (new)

TxLadyForever | 190 comments my summers were spent reading - my BFF (BFF still to this day) would go to the *BOOK MOBILE* and check out lots of books and read! It only came every 3 weeks so we checked out about 50 books each and shared!

I didnot have TV at home as a kid!

to this day we are readers but don't have to wait 3 weeks on the book mobile - we go to the library because we have a car!

wondering 'do book mobiles still exist' (???)

message 30: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes! We have a bookmobile for rural towns in our library system. We had to vote, county-wide, to keep the bookmobile open a couple years back, but the citizens supported it. I'm glad they did. I've never been in the bookmobile, but I like the idea of the truck driving around dropping off requested books...

message 31: by TxLadyForever (new)

TxLadyForever | 190 comments Randomanthony wrote: "Yes! We have a bookmobile for rural towns in our library system. We had to vote, county-wide, to keep the bookmobile open a couple years back, but the citizens supported it. I'm glad they did. ..."

I am glad to hear they still exist! :)

I agree it is awesome it was huge and had lots and lots of books! it smelled of books and to this day I love that smell! At that time the closest library was downtown Houston and I lived in the burbs! We walked about 1/2 mile to the book mobile stop spot!

I am still in the burbs but libraries are all over the place + I have a car!!!! YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

We actually don't have a library in our town, so the book mobile comes once a week. But it is just as easy to go to the closest library in Madison.

message 33: by TxLadyForever (new)

TxLadyForever | 190 comments Jim wrote: "We actually don't have a library in our town, so the book mobile comes once a week. But it is just as easy to go to the closest library in Madison.
"

YEAH for the book mobile!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) what wonderful memories this has awaken!!!!!!!!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love bookmobiles! I first checked out Harriet the Spy from a bookmobile the summer I stayed with my cousins in Franklin, Wisconsin, for a month, while my parents got us moved into our new house.

I would love to drive a bookmobile someday. :D

message 35: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Your questionable driving history in library-sanctioned vehicles may render that an impossibility, Jackie.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Randomanthony wrote: "Your questionable driving history in library-sanctioned vehicles may render that an impossibility, Jackie."

Shhhh! Don't tell!

message 37: by TxLadyForever (last edited Jun 24, 2009 11:02AM) (new)

TxLadyForever | 190 comments trivia - my senior year in HS - I was awarded 'library student of the year' I wanted to be a librarian but I couldn't go to college because my father was so dead set about it; he had strange ideas about women and jobs and stuff! ( a woman was to be a wife and mother only or suffer in hell for all eternity)

instead I became a bookkeeper and on from there! :( I married a modern man that didn' believe that crap!

SO I too want drive a book mobile!!!! I could ya know - I have driven a motor home in the past!

YIKES look out SPRING TEXAS!!! HERE I COME! hehehe

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Follow your bliss, TxLadyForever!

message 39: by TxLadyForever (new)

TxLadyForever | 190 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Follow your bliss, TxLadyForever!"

thank you! i think i will! need a change of pace for sure!

message 40: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Jackie: Your wish to drive a book mobile is similar to people's dreams to drive the weiner mobile. Know what? You should see if you /can/ drive a book mobile cross country. Get a bunch of friends together. Haul bootah and enjoy a summer vacation seeing the wacky things around the US.

message 41: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I have driven a motor home in the past!

Convert a motor home to a book mobile! Have book festivals!

message 42: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 25, 2009 09:23AM) (new)

I probably see a weiner mobile almost weekly, I have no desire to drive one of them.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've been partial to this one ever since I saw it while on tour in Ohio. They wouldn't trade vehicles with me.
[image error]
[image error]

message 44: by TxLadyForever (new)

TxLadyForever | 190 comments and I can decorate it my way and give it a cool name in front of _____________ 'bookmobile'

yeahhhhhhh!

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jim wrote: "I probably see a weiner mobile almost weekly, I have no desire to drive one of them.
"

The only place I've ever seen one was in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. It pulled up in front of the hotel in which I was staying. It leaked oil on the concrete. I wasn't impressed.

message 46: by TxLadyForever (new)

TxLadyForever | 190 comments Larry wrote: "Jim wrote: "I probably see a weiner mobile almost weekly, I have no desire to drive one of them.
"

The only place I've ever seen one was in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. It pulled up in front of the..."

leaked oil on - ahhhh how sad! :(

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It was very sad.

message 48: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Jim wrote: "I probably see a weiner mobile almost weekly, I have no desire to drive one of them.
"

That's what she said that's what she said that's what she said!!!

message 49: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Damn!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Randomanthony wrote: "Jim wrote: "I probably see a weiner mobile almost weekly, I have no desire to drive one of them.
"

That's what she said that's what she said that's what she said!!!

"

Well played

« previous 1