Into the Forest discussion

Waking the Moon
This topic is about Waking the Moon
Mythic Fiction > Waking the Moon by Elizabeth Hand

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jalilah | 4256 comments Mod
I have Waking the Moon by Elizabeth Hand on an inter-library loan until December 9th, so will be reading it then. If anyone cares to join me Please do!

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
I hope you enjoy!

I really liked this book when I read it last year.

There's a prequel as well -- Black Light -- though I didn't like it quite as much.

Katy (kathy_h) | 820 comments I'll see if the library has a copy.

message 4: by Carole (new)

Carole Weave-lane (writingnamecaroleweave-lane) | 101 comments I will too.

If anyone wants to join in on the group read but their library doesn't have a copy, it is lendable for the Kindle.

If you have a Kindle/Kindle app and want to join in on the group read, just let me know. I can loan it to one person for two weeks. First come, first serve - but please check your local library first since I can only loan it out once!

message 6: by Jalilah (last edited Nov 23, 2013 04:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melanti wrote: "If anyone wants to join in on the group read but their library doesn't have a copy, it is lendable for the Kindle.

If you have a Kindle/Kindle app and want to join in on the group read, just let m..."

That is really sweet of you Melanti, thanks! Hopefully someone will take up your offer and we can have a discussion here!

This book really draws you in! I hope you'll all get a copy! Melanti, please feel free to discuss it even though you've read it already.

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments I love this book. I cannot remember if I own it or not. I will look at home. If I do, I am all for a re-read.

Mawgojzeta wrote: "I love this book. I cannot remember if I own it or not. I will look at home. If I do, I am all for a re-read."

That's great Mawgojzeta!

I would absolutely love to discuss this book! I realize that I am partial to coming of age stories involving college students and supernatural/magical professors! For this reason this book reminds me a little of Tam Lin and also Memory and Dream. All three books take place in the 70s and start with the protagonist as a university freshman. However Waking the Moon is definitely the darkest of the 3.

Never fear, I'll join in once you guys get to discussing! Not sure I'll have time to re-read it, but I'll do my best to go from memory...

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Great! I will check tonight when I get home.

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Okay, that is not one of the Elizabeth Hand books I own, so I reserved it through the library. Worst case, I am a few days after your return due date before I finish reading (I read books I really like in 1-3 days).

message 13: by Jalilah (last edited Nov 29, 2013 09:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mawgojzeta wrote: "Okay, that is not one of the Elizabeth Hand books I own, so I reserved it through the library. Worst case, I am a few days after your return due date before I finish reading (I read books I really..."

How are her other book? I have only read Mortal Love which I liked, but not nearly as much as I am currently Waking the Moon.

I am curious about how much of the Goddess worship in this book is made up by Hand and how much is actually documented history . I think in reality matriarchal cultures were not always as peaceful as some people make them out to be.

I liked this one a lot and the sequel Black Light slightly less. I've also read Illyria (NOT YA, by any means!) and thought it was very good as well.

I do own several other of her books, including Mortal Love and a Sci Fi trilogy, but haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

Jalilah wrote: "I am curious about how much of the Goddess worship in this book is made up by Hand and how much is actually documented history . I think in reality matriarchal cultures were not always as peaceful as some people make them out to be. ..."
I'm definitely interested as well - though I'd have to re-read the book in order to contribute much to a discussion about it. When you think about it, it's kind of insulting to assume that EVERY matriarchal culture or goddess worshiping religion is peaceful.

Melanti wrote: "I liked this one a lot and the sequel Black Light slightly less. I've also read Illyria (NOT YA, by any means!) and thought it was very good as well.

I do own several..."

I agree with you Melanti, that it insulting to assume every matriarchal culture is peaceful. There is definitely a tendency to think that way. I have a few acquaintances who are very "into the Goddess" and have a tendency to bash the more mainstream religions as well. I think one really can not make generalizations.

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments I own "Glimmering", which I have tried to start twice, but it was not catching my interest enough. I had some other uber-good books from the library with deadlines, though, so I have not written it off. I have read "Waking the Moon" and very much enjoyed it. Other than "Black Light", those are my only Hand experiences so far.

message 17: by Jalilah (last edited Dec 07, 2013 04:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dear Into to the Forest friends, my head is reeling after finishing this! I loved it but am totally confused by the ending!
(view spoiler)

The ending confused me as well!

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 820 comments Thanks for the hiding the spoilers. My copy finally showed up yesterday. The beginning really draws you in. Love the writing so far.

message 20: by Jalilah (last edited Dec 07, 2013 04:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melanti wrote: "The ending confused me as well.."
Same here!

(view spoiler)

Kathy wrote: "Thanks for the hiding the spoilers. My copy finally showed up yesterday. The beginning really draws you in. Love the writing so far."

Wonderful Kathy! I really look forward to reading your thoughts on this book!

message 22: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 820 comments I'll work on getting more read before I read this thread again so that you won't have to hide everything from me

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments I am still waiting for my copy to reread. I recall being a bit confused at the ending, but came to some conclusions that satisfied me personally. I cannot remember all of it, though, so I will wait to comment until I get the book.

message 24: by Leann (last edited Dec 07, 2013 09:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leann (7leann) | 237 comments If anyone still needs a copy of this book, the Kindle version is only $1.99 at Amazon right now. No idea for how long though.

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments I am on the last twenty pages or so. Itching to contribute, so will likely pop back onto to Goodreads this evening.

message 26: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 820 comments I am about half-way done. With the holidays, reading has taken a backseat. The first part where she describes the college reminds me a bit of Tam Lin by Pamela Dean.

message 27: by Jalilah (last edited Dec 27, 2013 11:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mawgojzeta wrote: "I am on the last twenty pages or so. Itching to contribute, so will likely pop back onto to Goodreads this evening."

Oh please contribute Mawgojzeta! I am still uncertain about all those details in the end, I can only speculate!

Kathy, yes it definitely reminds me of Tam Lin and also Memory and Dream all three books start out in the 1970s with the protagonist a Freshmen in the university. In all 3 books the magic or fantastical is not out in the open at first.

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Okay, here is my take: (view spoiler)

Back with more thoughts shortly. I really wish the comment box expanded so that I could see what I wrote easier...

message 29: by Jalilah (last edited Dec 28, 2013 07:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mawgojzeta wrote: "Okay, here is my take..."
Wow Mawgojzeta, those are good insights!
You seem to be very well versed in Ancient Greek and Goddess Mythology which I think is very useful when reading this book. I am familiar with most of the well known myths but I need to read up more about the cults.
(view spoiler)
This conversation makes me want to read up more on Goddess Worship in ancient Crete as well as read other novels inspired by the subject!

message 30: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 820 comments Mawgojzeta, thanks for your comments. I did not know all that you described about the goddesses myths. Nice connections that I don't know I would have made all on my own.

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments I remembered learning once, a long time ago, that Elizabeth Moon identified as bisexual. I think she tries to expand a bit on the standard thought of only two genders. I have not read enough of her books to say I know this for certain, though.

Butterflies are often thought of as transformation symbols. I do not know if Moon is pagan or if she simply is interested in old mythology. I think I will have to look up some more information on her.

Mawgojzeta wrote: "I remembered learning once, a long time ago, that Elizabeth Moon identified as bisexual. I think she tries to expand a bit on the standard thought of only two genders. I have not read enough of h..."

I don't know if she is pagan, but I think I also remember reading some where that Elizabeth Hand (funny, when I think of her, I think of her as Elizabeth Moon too!) is bisexual. In any case, at the time when the novel place, the late 70s, many people in the arts acted that way regardless if they really were or not.
I feel the same way as Kathy, I would not have made all those connections on my own, so thanks for sharing all your insights!
I can't wait to read more of Hand's novels! I hope they are as good!

message 33: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 820 comments I'm going to try Mortal Love next.

Same offer is open for anyone who wants to read the prequel... just let me know and I can lend it out. (I don't believe there are geo-restrictions on lending... I might be wrong!)

Yes - she is bisexual. Here's an interview where she mentions it and talks about Waking the Moon and Mortal Love a bit as well.
http://www.strangehorizons.com/2004/2...

message 35: by Mawgojzeta (last edited Jan 08, 2014 12:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Ha! Yes, Jalilah, "Hand" not "Moon". I do that when I (verbally)mention her, too. :-)

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Melanti wrote: "Same offer is open for anyone who wants to read the prequel... just let me know and I can lend it out. (I don't believe there are geo-restrictions on lending... I might be wrong!)

Yes - she is b..."

I would re-read it. I will see what the lead-time from my library is.

Mawgojzeta wrote: "Ha! Yes, Jalilah, "Hand" not "Moon". I do that when I (verbally)mention her, too. :-)"

I keep getting her and Elizabeth Bear confused... Darn all these Elizabeths with 4 letter last names!

Melanti wrote: "Same offer is open for anyone who wants to read the prequel... just let me know and I can lend it out. (I don't believe there are geo-restrictions on lending... I might be wrong!)

Yes - she is b..."

Melanti,thanks for the offer. I did not reply because honestly it don't really know how that works. I still read old fashioned books. I don't have a kindel.

Melanti wrote: "Same offer is open for anyone who wants to read the prequel... just let me know and I can lend it out. (I don't believe there are geo-restrictions on lending... I might be wrong!)

Yes - she is b..."

Melanti, The interview is very interesting! Thanks for posting it! It confirms what I suspected all along, that there is a lot of Elizabeth Hand in Sweeny Cassidy. That the main character went though many of the life experiences that the author did, could be one of the things that make the novel so compelling. It was also interesting to know Hand had some repercussion regarding how she depicted Goddess worship. I agree very much with what she says in the interview: "There was a lot of empty-headed New Age goddess stuff going on at that time. We don't really know what went on in ancient goddess-worshipping cultures, but I'm pretty sure it was not this benign, kind of toothless female empowerment that we saw back then in the 1990s goddess movement."

Many lifetimes ago I was also into in the pre-punk New York music scene
( although I lived in SanFransisco) and agree when she says "it was a genuine art scene; it spawned the whole downtown, lower east side art punk scene of the 1970s and early 1980s. From our perspective now in the 21st century it seems like the last efflorescence of an American Bohemian scene. Now everything has become so commercialized."
I definitely want to read Black Light as well as all her other novels.

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments "Black Light" is being sent to me for another library in my library system, so I expect to have it sometime next week.

Jalilah wrote: "I definitely want to read Black Light as well as all her other novels. ..."
I have several other of her books and I really need to read them soon! I wasn't too impressed with the short story on which Winterlong was based, so I'm crossing my fingers that the trilogy is going to be better than the story.

Jalilah wrote: "Melanti,thanks for the offer. I did not reply because honestly it don't really know how that works. I still read old fashioned books. I don't have a kindel. ..."

Understood! You don't necessarily need a real Kindle to read Kindle books, though-- they can be read on most smart phones, tablets, and straight from your computer browser. But I completely understand. My cellphone is fine for reading while waiting in line, but I'd hate to have to read a whole book on it!

Melanti wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "I definitely want to read Black Light as well as all her other novels. ..."
I have several other of her books and I really need to read them soon! I wasn't too impressed with the ..."

Would it work on an iPad?

Yep! You'd just have to install the Kindle app.

You might have to create a amazon.com account (as opposed to a amazon.ca account) but since you wouldn't be buying anything, I don't think they'd force you to give them financial info.

I haven't been on the receiving end of a loan, but if it's set up anything like the library loaning process, it's really easy to claim the book. The biggest thing would be making sure you're done with the book in 2 weeks, since loaning is a 1 time deal and it'd suck for the book to expire when you're still reading it.

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments I just received the book from the library the other day and am in the process of re-reading. If anyone else is reading it, also, let me know.

Mawgojzeta wrote: "I just received the book from the library the other day and am in the process of re-reading. If anyone else is reading it, also, let me know."
Are you re-reading the sequel?

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Oops. Missed a couple of words there. Yes.

message 47: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 820 comments What book is the sequel?

Kathy wrote: "What book is the sequel?"

Actually I believe Black Light is a prequel and not a sequel, right?

I took it to be a prequel, yes. Other people say it's a sequel. Dates really aren't mentioned and there's not a great deal of overlap in characters, so it's kind of hard to say and it doesn't matter a whole lot.

« previous 1