Dactyl Review discussion

Group Info > Guidelines for adding books to the DR shelf

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria N Alexander (vnalexander) | 5 comments Mod
Only books that have been reviewed on Dactyl Review or were written by Dactyl Review reviewers can be added to the shelf.

The shelf currently features books that have won/or been nominated for the Dactyl Literary Award or were written by one of DR's top reviewers.

-VNA

message 2: by Lilo (new)

Lilo (lilo-hp) | 17 comments Can anyone specify for me what qualifies as literary fiction?

message 3: by Henry (new)

Henry Martin (henrymartin) | 51 comments Mod
Lilo wrote: "Can anyone specify for me what qualifies as literary fiction?"

Lilo,

That's a loaded question, often debated in various forums. I'll stick with the answer listed on Dactyl Review: http://dactylreview.com/about/what-is...

message 4: by Lilo (new)

Lilo (lilo-hp) | 17 comments Thank you, Henry. I went to this link but couldn't read it all because the sentences are cut off. I think there is something wrong with the page. You might want to look into it.

I have a novella (which still needs some editing), and I am not sure if it qualifies as literary fiction. It should be above chick-lit, but I wouldn't compare it to something like, for instance, John Steinbeck's writings.

message 5: by Henry (last edited Nov 25, 2013 08:23PM) (new)

Lilo,

The link points to a poll of sorts, where you can click to view the results, or, rather, a democratic opinion resulting from the votes.

My own, overly simplified definition:

Literary fiction or a literary novel is a written work where the protagonist's state of mind and resulting actions take precedence over the plot itself. I realize that this definition may not suit everyone, and I'm open to a discussion on this.
My second criteria would be that the book is as true to life as possible.

For me, literary novels are packed with emotions and real human experiences. The protagonists are not always likeable, the villains are not always bad, but we experience the world through their eyes and thoughts, which, in turn, teaches us something about our world.

Literary works also generally address the larger issues in our world.

Again, this is my personal opinion and it is simplified. Perhaps others can chime in.

message 6: by Lilo (new)

Lilo (lilo-hp) | 17 comments Thank you so much, Henry. Going by your definition, my novella might, indeed, qualify.

message 7: by Henry (new)

Lilo,

My pleasure. I hope someone else will join in on the conversation and either affirm or dispute my interpretation.

I don't make the rules...I just keep an eye on the place.

message 8: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 8 comments Henry wrote: "Lilo,

The link points to a poll of sorts, where you can click to view the results, or, rather, a democratic opinion resulting from the votes.

My own, overly simplified definition:

Literary fic..."

Great definition!

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Victoria N Alexander (vnalexander) | 5 comments Mod
Lilo wrote: "Thank you, Henry. I went to this link but couldn't read it all because the sentences are cut off. I think there is something wrong with the page. You might want to look into it.

Lilo, If you scroll down on that page, you should see a slider which will allow you to read the full text. You can also look at http://dactylreview.com/about/ or better yet, read some of the books reviewed on DR to get an idea what others think!

message 10: by Lilo (new)

Lilo (lilo-hp) | 17 comments Thank you, Victoria. I will do so. I am still unsure about my novella. It should be above chick-lit, but I wouldn't compare it with high literature.

message 11: by Lilo (new)

Lilo (lilo-hp) | 17 comments Is there anybody interested in reading my novella "The Cat". I finally managed to get the manuscript converted to a PDF file. (The book is not on Amazon yet because the book cover is still in the making.) As I mentioned before, I am not sure if this novella qualifies as literary fiction.

The basic story is as follows:

"What starts out as a casual tale about a cat-hating elderly woman reflecting about her past with unhappy memories involving cats, soon turns into a nightmare.

The woman suffers a stroke that leaves her stuck in an easy-chair, with no chance to effectively call for help. Her only visitor is a cat that keeps coming through the open window."