THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Recommendation for POD Publishers?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven Drachman | 169 comments Hi everyone -

I am looking for a recommendation. I used Lulu for my first book, and it was priced on Amazon at $14.00. They got me distribution through Ingram, and I published also on Kindle and Nook. For my second book, I need a print on demand publisher who can provide cheaper pricing (since this book is longer and I need to keep the book price down!), but still provides the Ingram distribution. I've got a professional PR campaign going for this, and abandoning print isn't an option. If anyone has a recommendation, I'd really appreciate it. I will be doing an e-book, but I am still looking for a POD recommendation. Thanks!

message 2: by Steven (new)

Steven Drachman | 169 comments Even a one word response would be great. Again, I AM doing a publish on demand, so all I'm looking for is a recommendation, with a specific emphasis on keeping the book price low. Back end costs I don't care about, but I need to keep the book price low. Thanks.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

How long is it, and what do you define as "low" on the price?

message 4: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Cramer (kristicramer) | 84 comments I only have experience with create space. I don't know about the expanded distribution. Not much help I'm afraid.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Kristi wrote: "I only have experience with create space. I don't know about the expanded distribution. Not much help I'm afraid."

Expanded distribution jacks the minimum price up A LOT on Createspace. Without it, I was making almost a full dollar for every sale of my 9.99 paperback. With E.D., I had to raise the price 3 dollars and my royalties are exactly $0.07 per copy.

message 6: by Steven (new)

Steven Drachman | 169 comments Not createspace. I need no more than $14.50 on amazon and the book is about 250 pages.

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven Drachman | 169 comments And I don't care about royalties. I'll make money on the ebooks. Seven cents on the paperback is ok. But I can't have creates pace anywhere on the book or associated with it.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Mine was 370 pages (8 x 5.25 in size). At 250, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem anywhere. What prices have you been quoted?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Steven wrote: "And I don't care about royalties. I'll make money on the ebooks. Seven cents on the paperback is ok. But I can't have creates pace anywhere on the book or associated with it."

Mind if I ask why?

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 347 comments Your only other option, if you don't want to use Createspace, is LightningSource. I have no first-hand experience with them, however.

message 11: by Neil (new)

Neil Clement (mtccpc) | 4 comments Lulu would be another option for POD. I have used and they are reliable if expensive. Also check diggypod.com I have not used them but they look ok. Or you could contract with your own printer.

message 12: by Lilly (new)

Lilly Christine (lillychristine) | 5 comments Elle wrote: "Kristi wrote: "I only have experience with create space. I don't know about the expanded distribution. Not much help I'm afraid."

Expanded distribution jacks the minimum price up A LOT on Createsp..."

Good to know! I'll cut out "Expanded Distribution" and take the royalty. I assumed I'd be selling most print copies at Author signing/reading events anyway!

message 13: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) Why don't you incorporate as a publisher, then, and use Createspace anyway? Then you can put your own publisher name on the book. You'll need to buy your own ISBN through Bowker (U.S.) and pay a small fee for incorporation. But if you're really opposed to having the Createspace moniker as the publisher on there, that's another option.

message 14: by Cinda (new)

Cinda MacKinnon | 8 comments I call myself Multicultural Press but used Virtualbookworm as my "POD". I was happy that they are accessible by phone or email for any questions you might have and quite reasonably priced. Also they use Ingram. You have the option to pay them to get you ISBN, LIbrary of Congress, copyright etc or do it yourself. One caveat is I see people complaining that they don't feel like they are getting paid in full. There seems to be no way to check on this (as they are selling via multiple channels) but I have felt they have been fair with me and trust that no funds are withheld. It does take MOnths (usually more than a few) for the sellers to send VBW payments and for them to process and pay you.

message 15: by Cinda (last edited Nov 23, 2013 11:45AM) (new)

Cinda MacKinnon | 8 comments One other thought. I found the book "The Fine Print of Self-Publishing" by M. Levine to be invaluable. He evaluates a long list of publishers and details his recommendations. (He has his own print house he mentions once but doesn't plug!) I told Levine he should add Virtualbookworm, but he said they were a bit small (and I suspect he thought he had done more than enough research on more than two dozen of the better known ones).
P.S I choose my POD by using his rating system even though he didn't review them.)
Good luck!