THE Group for Authors! discussion

The Kite Runner
This topic is about The Kite Runner
149 views
General Discussion > Am I bad at reviewing?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Saf  (saph95) Okay, so I have a book reviewing blog, which I update everyday and I write long in-depth reviews.

But I don't seem to be getting many hits/views/comments/requests

So now I feel like my reviews are really terrible and aren't good.

My question is, what makes a good review, and are my book reviews bad?

Here's the link to my blog if you're interested!
http://originalbooker.blogspot.co.uk


Kathryn Parry (kathrynmorgan-parry) | 54 comments Annie wrote: "Okay, so I have a book reviewing blog, which I update everyday and I write long in-depth reviews.

But I don't seem to be getting many hits/views/comments/requests

So now I feel like my reviews ..."


At a glance there is too many books you have loved. To make you look like an honest reviewer you need more of the hated ones. (I love all books and find this hard also)


Saf  (saph95) Kathryn wrote: "Annie wrote: "Okay, so I have a book reviewing blog, which I update everyday and I write long in-depth reviews.

But I don't seem to be getting many hits/views/comments/requests

So now I feel li..."


Kathryn, thank you for your response! I understand what you mean, I'm trying to get all my read book reviews up so I can be up to date as I did only start my blog a few days ago!

I know a few of the earlier posts are some books I didn't enjoy, I find it difficult to write a good review if I didn't enjoy a book, I'll definitely need to work on that!


message 4: by R.E. (new)

R.E.  Carter (papasmurf1911) | 20 comments just keep doing what your are doing, and other people will follow. You might try to review different types of books by different types of authors. I have an African American historical fiction and I can send you a copy so you can review it if you want to.


Kathryn Parry (kathrynmorgan-parry) | 54 comments R.E. wrote: "just keep doing what your are doing, and other people will follow. You might try to review different types of books by different types of authors. I have an African American historical fiction and..."

lol erotica for me


message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 187 comments It takes time to build up a following. Be chatty, post at least twice a week, and over time, you'll gain followers. It took me a year and a half to reach the 185 followers that I currently have. And even then most don't comment, though I get a lot of "likes".


message 7: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken (kendoyle) | 347 comments I took a quick look at your blog and I don't really see anything wrong with your reviews. However, as Judy said, it can take years to build up a following for blogs.


Kathryn Parry (kathrynmorgan-parry) | 54 comments Just keep adding to the list, on my group Erotic Recommendations there is a blog page you can add yours web and blog on


Saf  (saph95) Thanks guys! I guess I'm just used to tumblr where people would come across your blog so easily. I had 9000 followers on my old blog which I abandoned because it became too unorganised.

I want this blog to be a bit more serious, I love reviewing and I want people to see that reflected in my blog! I'm trying to have it all nearly organised, but learning how to use blogger is proving difficult! It's so confusing!

With time I know my reviews will improve though! It's not so much about gaining a follower base or becoming popular, I'd just like having people actually read my reviews, instead of me writing them and writing discussions and book talks when no ones reading them!

It takes time but 1000 views in 3 days isn't that bad I guess! I've put a lot of effort into this blog! It's my new child


message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Annie wrote: "Thanks guys! I guess I'm just used to tumblr where people would come across your blog so easily. I had 9000 followers on my old blog which I abandoned because it became too unorganised.

I want th..."


I thought your reviews were pretty well done. Do you link your reviews from amazon or goodreads to your blog? That may increase traffic. On the requesting front, I know a few authors who will simply never send a physical copy for review. I understand your reasons, but I can understand theirs, too. Like everyone else said, though, building an audience takes time. I think you're doing a good job. Just keep at it!


Kathryn Parry (kathrynmorgan-parry) | 54 comments I am always up for a review on my books... Different types of fiction as well helps.


Saf  (saph95) Elle wrote: "Annie wrote: "Thanks guys! I guess I'm just used to tumblr where people would come across your blog so easily. I had 9000 followers on my old blog which I abandoned because it became too unorganise..."

I link them with goodreads, but I didn't think of doing it with amazon as well! That's a good idea! Yeah, I totally understand, and if an author asks me to review an ebook and I really like the sound of their book, of course I will make a few exceptions. But if there are too many books to review, I'd just get overly confused, and being a student I'm hardly the most organised person!

I just want to make sure I get them all done well and within a week, I don't like to disappoint. It's easier that way, I've also offered to send the book back once I was done, but a few of the authors I said that to said I could keep it so it wasn't an issue.

Of course I understand their reasons too, and I'd be happy just to borrow the book, but it's whatever the authors feel comfortable with! If they would rather not send a physical copy then I know for a fact there are many others who would review ebooks so they won't be missing out!

:)


message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Annie wrote: "Elle wrote: "Annie wrote: "Thanks guys! I guess I'm just used to tumblr where people would come across your blog so easily. I had 9000 followers on my old blog which I abandoned because it became t..."

The one week goal is both very admirable and very ambitious! I think you're doing everything you should. A blog can be hard to promote, but the more reviews you get up there, the better off. Also, reviewing popular books and heading your title with book and author name will generate google hits. I found my absolute favorite reviewing site through a google search for a particular book.


message 14: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Camp (deborahcamp) | 43 comments Annie wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Annie wrote: "Okay, so I have a book reviewing blog, which I update everyday and I write long in-depth reviews.

But I don't seem to be getting many hits/views/comments/requests

..."

What is the URL and I'll check it out. I'm trying to find people to review my next book -- a paranormal/erotic romance suspense novel -- and it's not easy! I would love to become a follower of yours.


message 16: by Fay (last edited Nov 27, 2013 01:05PM) (new)

Fay Green | 1 comments Pffft you don't need to have books you hate to be a good reviewer that's ridiculous. Getting hits isn't really about how good your reviews are it's about promoting the blog. But I would suggest that if you DO say something bad about a book you actually back up your criticism with evidence from your book just as you were supposed to in High School or College English class. DOn't just say "it was frustrating so skip it" or "some things were not explained" I've had stuff like that said about my book and I can't learn from that as it was so vauge. I believe for example that everything was explained or tied up at the end of my novel, but the reviewer says "some things were not properly explained" and doesn't give ANY example of what wasn't explained so I could learn something. OR says "it was frustrating" but doesn't say HOW my book was frustrating at all, THAT is bad reviewing, and when people do that it feels like they are just mouthing off to have an opinion with no thought or reflection actually going into the review.


message 17: by Martyn (last edited Nov 29, 2013 05:51AM) (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 248 comments Fay wrote: "...I've had stuff like that said about my book and I can't learn from that as it was so vauge. I believe for example that everything was explained or tied up at the end of my novel, but the reviewer says "some things were not properly explained" and doesn't give ANY example of what wasn't explained so I could learn something."

You're confusing a 'review' with 'critical feedback'. If you want feedback about issues in your story, you should join a critique circle or find beta-readers who will read your manuscript before the book is published.

A review is written by a reader/reviewer for the purpose of advising other readers whether your book is worth their time and money. It's not intended to educate you on where you failed. So you cannot lambast a reviewer for 'badly reviewing' your book because they didn't go into specifics.

If anything, you should berate yourself for prematurely publishing your book and expecting (paying) customers to beta-read your book.


message 18: by Fraser (new)

Fraser Sherman | 48 comments That said, a good review should explain why the book didn't work for the reviewer, even if it's just "not my type of thing" (I say that quite a bit).


message 19: by Riley (new)

Riley Graham (rileygraham) | 4 comments Hi Annie, I think your site looks great. I followed you, but honestly, I don't do much with the following feature in Google. I'm more likely to check in on my Facebook and Twitter feeds--do you use those, and if you do, have you thought of linking them to your blog?


Diana Febry (dianaj) | 3 comments Hi Annie
I've had a look and followed you. All looks fine to me. As people have said it takes time to build up a following. I've sent you a pm as well. PS I'm a fellow Brit based just north of Bristol - Hi!


Saf  (saph95) @riley thank you! I do have a twitter, but I don't use it much, I have thought about updating it a little more and once I start doing that I will definitely link it on my blog!! I know I don't really look at the google follower thing either, I still don't quite understand how it works haha!

@diana thank you! I totally get it, it's frustrating, I want people to read my reviews because it really helps the authors whose books I review and other readers who may want to find a book to read etc! I know there are a lot of logs out there like mine, but developing my skills is fun and educational! Ahh that's great! I haven't been to Bristol aha! I live in London (for now)!


Diana Febry (dianaj) | 3 comments Bristol is a fun place! The only other advice I can give you (and I've failed here in the past) is be honest. Say what you honestly think and you'll find a group of readers who like the books you like and they'll trust your reviews. I've had rubbish reviews (and yes it hurts for 24 hours) but then I say ok I'll worry about people who do like my work, it's not personal. Being honest over time you can build up a rapport with writers you actually enjoy reading. Just remember writers don't make a lot of money and posting books does cost. Like everything in life - honesty is always the best policy.


back to top