Goodreads Ireland discussion

Promotions/Events/Etc > Free Irish Crime Writers Festival starts tomorrow at Trinity College!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janebbooks (last edited Nov 21, 2013 05:33AM) (new)

Janebbooks Irish Crime Fiction: A Festival. November 22nd / 23rd, Trinity College, Dublin. Featuring John Connolly, Stuart Neville, Niamh O'Connor, Louise Phillips, Conor Fitzgerald, Michael Connelly, Alan Glynn, Arlene Hunt, Jane Casey, Eoin McNamee, and many more...

Below schedule for the FREE festival (except for Michael Connelly interview and book signing)
is courtesy of Declan Burke's blog CRIME ALWAYS PAYS.

Friday 22 November 7.00pm-8.30pm:
‘A Short Introduction to Crime Fiction: Why We Write It, How We Write It, and Why We Read It’.
Panelists: Jane Casey, John Connolly, Alan Glynn, Declan Hughes, and Eoin McNamee.

Saturday 23 November 10.00am-11.15am:
‘Historical Crime Fiction’.
Panelists: Kevin McCarthy, Eoin McNamee (chair), Stuart Neville, Peter Quinn, and Michael Russell.

11.30am-12.45am: ‘Irish Crime Fiction Abroad’.
Panelists: Declan Burke (chair), Jane Casey, John Connolly, Conor Fitzgerald, Alan Glynn, Arlene Hunt.

12.45pm-1.30pm: lunch

1.30-3.30pm: Surprise Film Screening

3.45pm-5pm: ‘Crime Fiction and Contemporary Ireland’.
Panelists: Paul Charles, Declan Hughes, Gene Kerrigan, Brian McGilloway (chair), Niamh O’Connor, Louise Phillips.

Saturday 23 November, Closing Event, 6pm (€6 tickets)
‘An Evening With Michael Connelly’.
John Connolly will be interviewing Michael, who will be signing books, including his newest novel The Gods of Guilt, which will have its Irish launch at this event.

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/h...

message 2: by Janebbooks (last edited Nov 21, 2013 05:43AM) (new)

Janebbooks And John Connolly...with an "o"... talks about his interview with Michael Connelly...with an "e" in his November 2013 newsletter.

November 2013

Hello again! Miss me, did you? Uh—it's John. John Connolly. Connolly. No, with the o. Yes, the less famous one.
Sigh.
It's getting to be the holiday season, but before you're too distracted by visions of sugarplums, I wanted to mention a few items that may be relevant to your interests.

THE IRISH CRIME FICTION FESTIVAL AT TRINITY COLLEGE
First, that other Connelly fellow—Michael, not John—will be the guest of honor at the Trinity College Dublin's first Irish Crime Fiction Festival, co-sponsored with the fine folks at Glucksman Ireland House of New York University. Mr. Connelly will be interviewed by me (that's Connolly) on Saturday evening at 6:00 p.m., as the closing event of a two-day program that includes Conor Brady, Jane Casey, Paul Charles, Alan Glynn, Conor Fitzgerald, Declan Hughes, Arlene Hunt, Gene Kerrigan, Kevin McCarthy, Brian McGilloway, Eoin McNamee, Stuart Neville, Niamh O'Connor, Louise Phillips and Michael Russell.
Tickets for this program have gone fast—I hear that Friday night's reception already has a waiting list... The day's festivities will include a screening of a surprise film and it's all— (except the Connelly/Connolly face-off apart—FREE!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll head to at least one of these events, Jane, but possibly not tomorrow's event.

Thanks for sharing.

message 4: by Janebbooks (last edited Nov 21, 2013 01:51PM) (new)

Janebbooks Declan wrote: "I'll head to at least one of these events, Jane, but possibly not tomorrow's event."

Hurray! It's more than I can hope for...to have a first hand account of the FREE Dublin Irish Festival.
Thank goodness you show some interest in these wonderful Irish crime writers!

My two favorites will not be at the festival...Tana French The Likeness and Benjamin Black (aka John Banville) Elegy for April...but I read most of the attendees. A few John Connolly's...Stuart Neville, Alan Glynn, Brian McGilloway, and have Kevin McCarthy's two novels on top of a huge TBR stack. And I may be Declan Hughes (who also writes plays)'s only remaining Ed Loy P. I. fan...he hasn't written one a few years.

Would love to hear about your or other members of this group's favorite Irish crime writers!

Jane

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Janebbooks wrote: "Declan wrote: "I'll head to at least one of these events, Jane, but possibly not tomorrow's event."

Hurray! It's more than I can hope for...to have a first hand account of the FREE Dublin Irish ..."

I'm glad to hear that Tanya French is good. I have a book on hold at the library.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be glad to give a quick round-up of whichever I attend, Jane. I'm sure all the events will be enjoyable.

The group read Broken Harbour but I wasn't impressed. There are a few Tana French fans in the group who convinced me not to give up on her work.

I've read most of Connolly's work. I'm a big fan. I have a couple of his novels which need a signature, so I'll.have try to attend one of his talks and bring the books.

We have a thread dedicated to Irish Crime writers, Jane. It's been idle for a while but there are some real fans of the genre in there.

I'll link to it later when I open my laptop.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's the link to to the Irish crime thread, as promised.

message 8: by Janebbooks (last edited Nov 22, 2013 12:26AM) (new)

Janebbooks Jamielynn wrote: "I'm glad to hear that Tana French is good. I have a book by her on hold at the library."

Jamielynn, Tana French is an exciting Irish writer. When I read her first novel In the Woods, I thought it was not very "Irish" although it was set in Ireland... IN THE WOODS is a mild police procedural that introduces Rob and Casey, two members of the Dublin Murder Squad, and their current case. But it was a well written book...and like her many fans, I was interested in her detecting duo. That was a mistake!

French chain links her characters from book to book...unfortunately, dropping a character or two that was in the previous book. Therefore, for ultimate reading enjoyment...one must read her books in order of publication.

The only novel I believe one can read with safety and satisfaction at first is her third novel Faithful Place.

Dare I say that Tana French has to be a descendent of James Joyce? She writes about a city she loves without too much sense of place yet creates interesting characters that only allow you to delve into their innermost thoughts with a sudden epiphany usually near the end of the story. And even with the awakening...one has to still wonder at their actions.

FAITHFUL PLACE is a story about a successful homicide detective who returns to the place of his birth...a tenement near the Guinness factory in Dublin...to discover why his childhood sweetheart Rosie never met him years ago to run away and be married.

It's a retelling of Joyce's DUBLINERS story "Eveline."

message 9: by Janebbooks (last edited Nov 22, 2013 03:13AM) (new)

Janebbooks Declan wrote: "I'll be glad to give a quick round-up of whichever I attend, Jane. I'm sure all the events will be enjoyable."

Well, I wish I had known you sooner, Declan.

I'd have shipped you over my favorite Connolly first editions to be signed. The White Road and The Killing Kind.

THE WHITE ROAD because Charlie Parker leaves Maine and goes to South Carolina...my native state.

But then I have postured the perfect signing of that book. I'll meet him at THE GUTTER BOOKSHOP in Dublin and as he signs, I'll tell him about the Confederate roadside stops in upper SC and the women in long black dresses with long sleeves that marched behind the coffins when they buried the Confederate sailors of the Civil War submarine the HUNTLEY in Charleston
several years ago.

John wasn't there...although he clearly spent some time in Charleston and Columbia, SC...for that event but American adventure writer Clive Cussler was!

Jane

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Jane I am looking forward to the first book. If I like it (probably will) I 'll read the series in order. I have found out that a lot of writers do a series in a certain order. It's kind of like a soap opera.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

@Jane. I may have to babysit my niece and nephew which will null my chances of attending the early discussion and the Connolly/Connelly interview has long sold out.

I'm not liking how things are shaping up.

@Jamielynn. The Charlie Parker novels are favourites of mine. They have a supernatural twist which adds flavour I usually find missing from crime novels.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

OHHH! I like a supernatural story! Thank you for the recommendation.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't mention it!

message 14: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments Janebbooks wrote: "Jamielynn wrote: "I'm glad to hear that Tana French is good. I have a book by her on hold at the library."

Jamielynn, Tana French is an exciting Irish writer. When I read her first novel [book:In..."

"Eveline" is a favorite short story of mine, so I'll have to check out Tana French. I've never read any of her books....

And reading about the Irish Crime Festival makes me wish I could go. That sounds like a terrific line up of writers and talks. Too bad I'm in Massachusetts!

message 15: by Janebbooks (new)

Janebbooks Declan wrote: "@Jane. I may have to babysit my niece and nephew which will null my chances of attending the early discussion and the Connolly/Connelly interview has long sold out.

I'm not liking how things are ..."

Declan...Connolly has a panel discussion at 11:30am tomorrow morning. Is that when you will be babysitting?
Since it's a free event...can you take the children with you?

I want you to meet Declan Burke...best crime journalist around who reviews Irish crime novels for the Irish Times...and Alan Glynn who is also on the panel. Alan's first book became LIMITLESS...the movie starring Bradley Cooper. But he's writing international noir now...and he is brilliant! See my GoodReads review of his third noir set in Ireland:

Bloodland

By the way...I read yesterday that they have moved the Connolly/Connelly interview on Saturday night to Synge Hall to accommodate the backlist that wants tickets. You may just get to hear the interview.

But the panel will be at much fun...and you won't have to wait in line to get your "stuff" signed!

message 16: by Janebbooks (last edited Nov 22, 2013 02:44PM) (new)

Janebbooks Declan wrote: "@Jane. I may have to babysit my niece and nephew which will null my chances of attending the early discussion and the Connolly/Connelly interview has long sold out.

I'm not liking how things are ..."

Declan, John Connolly is on the panel Saturday morn at 10:30am...........it's a FREE event, can't you take the children? Besides I want you to meet Declan Burke and Alan Glynn on that panel, too.

See if Glynn (whose first novel became the movie LIMITLESS starring Bradley Cooper) appeals by reading my Goodreads review at Bloodland...

Oh, and I read somewhere yesterday afternoon that they had moved the Saturday night 6pm Connolly/Connelly interview to Synge Hall to accommodate more folks. Did you get on the backlist?

(The small panel discussion will be more fun unless you are a avid Harry Bosch/Mickey Haller fan. And, if you get desperate, I hear Connolly hangs out all the time at The Gutter Bookshop in Temple Bar...when he's in town.)

Jane

Lucky, lucky you...living in Dublin.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I might have them until late into the afternoon, Jane. Nicole would be old enough to bring even though she might get bored, but Evan is only two and lively, to put it mildly.

I should be able to make one of the later show, but I had my heart set on getting him to sign my books. :(

message 18: by Janebbooks (last edited Dec 03, 2013 05:39PM) (new)

Janebbooks Declan....another chance at John Connolly...you lucky fellow.

Here's where he will be December 5:

Dear Folks,
Okay, so I know it seems like only yesterday since I was in touch. It was, in fact, last month, but I accept that it still feels a little like I'm one of those blokes who says goodbye at a party, ostentatiously kisses everyone or shakes their hand, wishes festive greetings to all, departs in a blaze of good cheer, and then returns five minutes later to look for his hat.
On the other hand, I am offering free stuff, and the only thing better than free stuff is—well, nothing, really. You can't do better than free. It's, like, a law or something...
FREE STUFF
Because I am a being of almost inconceivable generosity, the kind who gives and gives and then, just when you think he can't possibly give any more, squeezes out just a little extra giving for the road, I've written a pre-Christmas bauble entitled "I Live Here," a 32-page essay-cum-ghost story, to coincide with the inaugural Grand Author Signing at Dubray Books in Rathmines on Thursday, December 5th.
In case you haven't been following developments, the nice folk at Dubray Rathmines, one of my local bookstores (and I admit that I am spoiled by having not one, not two, but three bookstores within walking distance of my house) are holding an author evening—with wine!—to be attended by the following local scribes, all of whom will be ready and willing to sign copies of their work as Christmas presents:
John Connolly
Jennifer Ridyard
Maurice Curtis
Alan Glynn
David Graham (winner of the John Murray Show/ RTE Guide /Kazoo Pub competition)
Sarah Harte
Arlene Hunt
Rosemary McLoughlin
Sean O'Connor
Susan Stairs
In addition, the store will have a selection of signed titles from various other national and international authors on hand, because you can't beat a signed book as a Christmas gift.
As a small thank you, anyone who comes along on the night and buys a book—any book!—or even orders something from the store will receive a signed limited edition copy of "I Live Here" to go with it, produced by Nicholson & Bass, the printers who put together the limited edition of THE WANDERER IN UNKNOWN REALMS. Okay, "I Live Here" is a slightly less lavish production—I do have to eat, you know—but it's still a nice little collector's item to put in a stocking.
Further details are available from the store by email at Dubrayrath@dubraybooks.ie, by calling +353 1 4979722, or just pop along to the Swan Centre, Rathmines on Thursday, December 5th from 6.00pm.

message 19: by Janebbooks (new)

Janebbooks Declan...I'm hoping you'll chat with Alan Glynn. He's a really nice fellow. I particularly like his third book Bloodland. And my review of it on Amazon UK has provoked a lot of response.

Better read my review here on Good Reads! Amazon UK got the reviews of Bloodland and Grave Land all confused. Weird...

Jane

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Ow, wow! Thanks for that, Jane. I'll definitely be dropping up there tomorrow. I'll be wanting John Connelly's new co-written book signed if nothing else and I'll get you to personally sign my copy of I Live Here.

I'm really looking forward to this.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished reading your review, Jane. It was very good. Hopefully I will get to meet Alan Glynn tomorrow.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

As Napoleon Dynamite would say...lucky!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Heck Yes!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I had a great time tonight. John Connolly and Jennifer Ridyard signed my copy of Conquest (Jennifer is an absolute lady and I already knew that John was a gentleman) and Alan Glynn signed a copy of Grave Land for me.

I also had a great time talking to Sean O'Connor and Maurice Curtis about the history of the Liberties and both are keen to help with the opening of a Liberties Historical Museum.

All of the writers were delightful when they spoke and I feel privileged to have attended.

Thanks for letting me know about it, Jane.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Declan wrote: "Well, I had a great time tonight. John Connolly and Jennifer Ridyard signed my copy of Conquest (Jennifer is an absolute lady and I already knew that John was a gentleman) and Alan Glynn signed a c..."

Declan how nice! I'm so glad you had that experience. Again Lucky! Love the picture. That was a crazy movie.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Jamielynn. Dublin is great for stuff like that.

John Connolly said that Perth, Australia -A big city- has only one bookshop in the centre of the city. That just blows my mind.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Even this little city has quite a few bookshops.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

And they just make the place feel so much better.