YAholics Anonymous! discussion

Book Discussion > School Reads...

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 3369 comments Mod
So, we all were forced to read books, plays, and poetry for school. What were some of your favorites? Least favorites? We're some of them a big waste of time? Feel free to discuss them here!

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Some of my favorites: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Secret Life of Bees, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, Silas Marner, and Song of Solomon

Least favorites: Ethan Frome <--- Freakin hated that book. Thank God it was short. >.>

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) Lord of the Flies. I'm scarred for life!!

Least favorite: A Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man

Favorite: To Kill a Mockingbird

message 4: by Brittany (new)

I really liked To Kill A Mockingbird, too. I'm a sucker for southern fiction.

I never had to read Lord of the Flies, though it might have been an option at one point. We tpically were given a list of books and were able to pick and choose which ones we wanted to read for the grading period...

message 5: by Brittany (new)

I figured you were homeschooled since you said you were high-school level. God knows you wouldn't be there if you were in public school in the US. >.> I'm so happy I'm in grad school now, where I actually LEARN things.

Incidentally, though, I'm in grad school for geoscience, so I'm not required to read anything anymore, just learn computer programming. XD

message 6: by Riya (new)

Riya | 753 comments Mod
Least favorite: Mister Pip

Best ones: the Sherlock Holmes and Edgar Allan Poe ones we read, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Kite Runner, The Book Thief

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) Brittany wrote: "I really liked To Kill A Mockingbird, too. I'm a sucker for southern fiction.

I never had to read Lord of the Flies, though it might have been an option at one point. We tpically were given a lis..."

Lucky! We don't usually have a choice. Lord of the Flies was ... interesting.

message 8: by Wells Margo (new)

Wells Margo (pearapple) | 110 comments I have to read Romeo and Juliet and Lord of the Flies. Then we have to pick a book from 4 different genres and the only genre I like out of the 4 is dystopian. If teachers really want kids to read, they will pick interesting genres and books out.

message 9: by Maya (new)

Maya Pankratz (simply__stardustx) | 98 comments I liked The Giver (The Giver #1) by Lois Lowry .

message 10: by Brittany (new)

You know, I never got a chance to read that one. I know it was an option at one point when I was in elementary and middle school (we did Accelerated Reading, where we'd earn a certain amount of points for each book) but I was never forced to read it for any sort of class...

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) | 378 comments Mod
Same here, I never got to read The Giver in school. My brother did, but not me.

I still haven't read it...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon for School a few years ago love that one.
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald was on the other hand not for me at all. I HATED IT!
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger I did noit enjoy either.
Holes (Holes, #1) by Louis Sachar was a really good read.

message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 3 comments To Kill a Mockingbird Really enjoyed!

The Picture of Dorian Gray Really enjoyed!

Great Expectations Loved!

The Red Badge of Courage UGH just UGH! Hardest book for me to get through that I was required to read!