English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Group read-alongs > December 2013 read-along

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Nov 20, 2013 06:51PM) (new)

Ken Fredette (klfredette) | 4769 comments Mod
December 2013 does not have but one author this month with a new book, Jussi Adler-Olsen but it's publication date is 12/31/13 called The Purity of Vengeance. Since this is the date, what if we read the first woman to receive the Nobel Prize for Literature, it was in 1891 and the book was called Gösta Berling's Saga and it was written by Selma Lagerlöf. She's Swedish. Its open to any book you haven't read.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) I've been way too busy lately and have had to eliminate a lot of the reading I had planned. But things are looking up, so I'm really looking forward to reading the new Jussi Adler-Olsen book with the group...one of my favorite authors since joining Goodreads.

message 3: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (last edited Dec 01, 2013 01:03AM) (new)

Sharon | 2449 comments Mod
IMHO I think it is hard setting books that are due out the same month on the list! Not all regions get access at the same time. For me I have to wait for February so again unable to join in.
Journal 64 Q4. aka. The Purity of Vengeance. Dec 31, 2013 Penguin. Guilt iBook pre-ordered Feb 13, 2014......
And
The Fire Dance Jan 7, 2014 ******pre-ordered kindle.
Strange as usually I get the books earlier in Europe than readers in NA!
Anyone else experiencing this?

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (sophie53) | 1 comments I'm counting the days to The Purity of Vengeance release!

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard (ricoh) | 42 comments How lucky am I?
I have saved reading Redemption Q3 so I can read them back to back like I did Mercy & Disgrace.

message 6: by Agnes (new)

Agnes Muscoreil (witchy1) | 22 comments I, too, look forward to The Purity of Vengence. Meanwhile I'm on to The Draining Lake.

message 7: by Helen (new)

Helen Tatterton (helenjane44) | 6 comments Selma Lagerlof's book is free and is one that has been scanned by Google - controversially.

message 8: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

I'm about halfway through Gösta Berling's Saga by Selma Lagerlöf. It's a book that is probably current today with the mills being flooded out and the people probably in the same trouble that they were then. Some spooky stories too.

message 9: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Dec 18, 2013 07:46AM) (new)

I just finished Gösta Berling's Saga and found it quite refreshing. In Saga's, I felt that it should have ended badly, but in this Saga it ended quite well. Gösta Berling came to no harm and had the prospect of a good life. It could translate until today, my comment about the mills being flooded out and needing work was worked on later in the story. Read it and you'll like it. I can see why she got the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1891.

message 10: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Sharon | 2449 comments Mod
Journal 64 Q4. aka. The Purity of Vengeance. Dec 31, 2013 Penguin. Aka Guilt due out Feb 13, 2014

Just so everyone is well aware this ONE book has been published under three different names and is only available in certain areas later than the read along....