What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Stonewalkers
This topic is about The Stonewalkers
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA 1994-1988- girl moves to house where statues move [s]

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) | 13 comments I read this book somewhere between 1994-1988. The main character was a young girl I don't remember why she moved, I feel like maybe it could have been just spending a summer with relatives. Or a single working parent. She was alone a lot.

The house had a huge hedge maze and lots of statues. I remember the statues moved. There was something evil going on, but there was one statue who protected her.

There was some thing significant about a bracelet, copper maybe. I think she found it on a statue and put it on.

message 2: by Rateeba (last edited Nov 20, 2013 07:17PM) (new)

Rateeba (Meniskos) | 9 comments maybe this one Wait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing Hahn

It's actually about two kids and their little step sister who moved into a church with a graveyard in the back and the little girl (stepsister) meets Helen who gives her necklace or bracelet ( i forgot) But it may or may not be the book your looking for. This girl was alone a lot too and called out "helen" to be her "friend" :) hope i helped.

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) | 13 comments Nope that's not it. Thanks though.

message 4: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2337 comments Any of these suggestions?

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) | 13 comments No but they were similar, bookel.

message 6: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2337 comments Was it a new book at the time?

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) | 13 comments bookel wrote: "Was it a new book at the time?"

I honestly don't remember. It would have been from a middle or high school Library.

message 8: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2337 comments Enchantment in the garden
by Shirley Hughes
Valerie, a lonely little girl, yearns for a friend, a wish is answered when a boy statue magically comes to life by her affection. But their friendship is threatened when the mysterious boy, Cherubino, vanishes.

message 10: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2337 comments That was one of the suggestions on the abebooks forum, apparently not...

message 11: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) | 13 comments I don't think it is Enchantment in the garden or The Court of Stone Children.

I don't remember anything ghostly. Or the statues talking. (That doesn't mean there wasn't though) I feel like it wasn't confirmed the statues were moving until near the end.

message 12: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2337 comments Does the maze have any significance to the story?

message 13: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) | 13 comments Not necessarily. I think it was a vehicle to have her not see the statues move.

message 14: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) | 13 comments bumping :(

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Dawn (Kat N Hat), are you still looking for this book?

message 16: by Tab (last edited Feb 14, 2015 06:05AM) (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments The Stonewalkers The Stonewalkers by Vivien Alcock ?

I found this in the Kirkus review:
"And, talking to the stone statue in the square, [Poppy] takes her bracelet--marie of some old chain she's found--and fastens it around one of the statue's ankles."

Do you remember anything about the cover?

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat), was Tab's suggestion your book?

If we don't hear back from Dawn (Kat N Hat) in a reasonable amount of time, say 2-3 months, we should move this to Solved as "The Stonewalkers."

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Moving to Solved.