Dreamspinner Press discussion

Meet the Author > Meet Charley Descoteaux

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dreamspinner (last edited Nov 20, 2013 04:34PM) (new)

Dreamspinner Press (dreamspinnerpress) | 2637 comments Mod
Meet Charley Descoteaux, author of "Curious Sustenance" this Sunday, November 24th from 3-6pm Central time (4-7pm Eastern) right here on the Dreamspinner Press Goodreads page.

message 2: by Charley (last edited Nov 23, 2013 09:17PM) (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Peeking in to see if I remember how to post a picture. Here goes nothing!

message 3: by Charley (last edited Nov 24, 2013 12:07PM) (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Hey there! I'll be settling in to chat in about an hour, with giveaways and a discount code.

Come join me and talk about my long novella Curious Sustenance and agendas and ropes, and whatever else comes up!

I'll be happy to answer (almost) any questions too. :)

One of my contests has to do with a novel I'm working on--this cutie needs a name & I'm hoping you-all can help with that.

message 4: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Hello! Time to get started! I hope everyone's having a fun weekend, and keeping warm &/or dry!

I’m here to talk about my new release, Curious Sustenance, and have a little fun. First I’ll share the blurb and in a little while I’ll bring excerpts and have a giveaway or two!

He never knew boundaries could be so sexy.

Ross Jenson is looking forward to a little midmorning delight to celebrate making Lifetime in Weight Watchers, but after he spent eight months losing ninety-eight pounds, what his lover gets him is a triple-layer chocolate cake. When Ross refuses to eat it, the newly minted ex leaves the country and dumps him via e-mail, with three sentences and a link to a chubby chasers web site. A few days later, Ross’s best friend and workout buddy takes him to her favorite club for drinks. Ross is shocked when he realizes it’s a sex club but warms to the idea in record time when a mysterious Japanese man and his silken ropes sweep him off his feet. Ross has never thought of himself as adventurous, but he can’t stop thinking about the man who makes his bones feel like gummy worms.

message 5: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments This story also comes with a few warnings. :)

Warnings: This book features a corporate sensitivity trainer with an agenda, an awesome gal-pal, an unconventional sex club, a mysterious Japanese rope artist, and another taste of Portland, Oregon as seen through my twisted mind.

message 6: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments A little about me, and then I'll post a little about the main characters in Curious Sustenance.

I’m from the San Francisco Bay Area, and have lived in the Portland Metro Area in Oregon for over 20 years. It’s almost the perfect place for a writer—the weather encourages us to stay indoors a LOT, and there are so many different kinds of people and places to spark the imagination.

If anyone has any questions fire away—I’ll probably even answer them! :)

message 7: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments These cool rope pix weren't inspiration for CS, but they're pretty so I'm sharing.

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments I just started reading this and it's fantastic! You mentioned having a WIP, can you share more information about that?

message 9: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Andrea wrote: "I just started reading this and it's fantastic! You mentioned having a WIP, can you share more information about that?"

Andrea, great to see you again! Thanks for popping in. :)

Glad to! I'm working on a novel about a self-employed ESI manager (which is a fancy way of saying Phil takes legal documents and turns them into electronically stored information :)) and a musically inclined plumber.

I hope to have it finished and submitted by Christmas--it's nice & angsty & hot. :)

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Charley wrote: "These cool rope pix weren't inspiration for CS, but they're pretty so I'm sharing.

"

That definitely should be an inspiration for something. The balance amazes me.

message 11: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Since we're on the subject, here's the WIP contest:

I’m working on a novel that I hope to submit to DsP by the end of the year. I thought it might be fun to have a reader name one of the characters because I’m not happy with the name he has now.

He’s a country dog, he lives on a small working farm about an hour west of Portland, and right now his name is Roscoe. Everyone who gives me an idea will be in the running for a $20 DsP credit, and if I use one of the names (not-Roscoe has veto power :)), that person will get a copy of every story I released in 2013! That’s four stories—two summer releases, CS, and my advent calendar short “Toy Run.”

message 12: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments "
That definitely should be an inspiration for something. The balance amazes me."

Aren't they amazing? Those guys are in great shape. *g*

message 13: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Okay, while you're thinking of names for the dog, here's an excerpt from Curious Sustenance.

This is shortly after Ross meets the mysterious Japanese rope artist.

“Do you like pain?”

Ross gasped softly and shook his head.

“I will do nothing meant to cause pain. What is your safe word?”

The question woke Ross up enough to speak. He felt as though he’d stepped into a movie—the atmosphere, this gorgeous man’s extremely careful speech pattern, and his own shocking desire.

“My….” was all he could get out, but it was something.
Shaggy held his eyes for a long moment. The man was an excellent showman; he had the mysterious magician-vibe down. Ross felt himself falling into those dark eyes.

“We will use the traffic signal colors.” Slowly but without hesitation, the man’s fingers began to unbutton Ross’ shirt. “If you feel any discomfort, use them. Yellow and I will slow down. Red and I stop immediately and cut the ropes. Do you understand?”

Ross nodded, and his shirt was unbuttoned. It wasn’t cold in the room, but he shivered as Shaggy’s fingers touched the bare skin of his chest. He walked around behind Ross and spoke in his ear as he drew the soft shirt away from his shoulders and down his arms.

“I want to hear you say the words.”

“Yellow is slow down. Red is stop.”

The man, who Ross found impossible to call Shaggy even in his head, smiled, and Ross worried he wouldn’t be able to remain standing much longer. Nobody had ever looked at him like that, as though he were beautiful and special, and quite possibly delicious. The man draped his shirt over a small velvet chair and turned back to him.

“Yes,” he said, softly so only Ross could hear. He ran his palm slowly across Ross’ chest, from his left shoulder to just below his right nipple. “This will be beautiful.”

Ross barely noticed when Shaggy began working on his belt, his silky voice commanded Ross’ attention as he told him what to expect, talking of gentle pressure and artistry until he whispered a simple sentence and then waited.

“Please step away from your trousers.”

Ross took one step to his left and knew he should’ve been shocked he hadn’t noticed his boots coming off, but it was much nicer to watch as Shaggy folded his slacks and laid them on the chair. He bent over and dipped his hand into a bag the same color as the border of the Oriental rug they stood on, and Ross sighed at the view. The man had a beautiful, almost heart-shaped ass, and his slacks were tight enough to show it off amazingly well.

Shaggy showed him a shiny object, not quite a pair of scissors, and told him, “If you say red, this will cut the ropes. You will be free in moments.” He placed it on the floor near a little round stool on wheels, directly in the light.

It looked macabre sitting there gleaming while Ross stood on a fancy rug in only his gray boxer-briefs. For a moment, Ross considered what was happening and that there were at least a half-dozen other people in the room, but then Shaggy turned back around and fixed him with those dark eyes again. If it were physically possible, he’d be a puddle on the floor at his feet.

CS is available at DsP and all the usual places.
http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/stor...

message 14: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments CS is a very character-driven story—a Romance with a little side of kink. Most of my stories are character-driven because as long as I can remember I’ve had characters talking in my head. They hang out and tell me their stories, and as long as I'm not trying to sleep it's a lot of fun!

Since CS is character-driven I thought I’d share a little about the characters.

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Charley wrote: "Since we're on the subject, here's the WIP contest:

I’m working on a novel that I hope to submit to DsP by the end of the year. I thought it might be fun to have a reader name one of the character..."

That dog's name is Sam.

message 16: by Charley (last edited Nov 24, 2013 01:37PM) (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments I usually don't look for pictures of my characters, settings, etc, until after I've written quite a bit so sometimes it's hard to find a good one.

This is about how I pictured Ross, but clean-shaven and not quite so bulky.

message 17: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Ross Jenson, 38, is just over 6’ (Ross: six feet and one-quarter inch!) with light ash blond hair and green eyes. When the story begins, he’s just lost 98 pounds over the preceding 8 months and isn’t comfortable in that skin yet. He looks conventional on the outside, mostly because he has to for his job, but has never felt completely normal (mostly in a good way). He wears high-end business casual for work, mostly slacks and sweaters unless the situation calls for a suit. Around the house he still goes for low-tech sweats and oversized T-shirts out of habit.

Ross is kind, sweet, happy, very much a people-person. He wants life to be fair for everyone and if he’s the one who has to make it so, then that’s okay with him.

message 18: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Andrea wrote: That dog's name is Sam. "

Thanks, Andrea, I like it!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Charley wrote: "I usually don't look for pictures of my characters, settings, etc, until after I've written quite a bit so sometimes it's hard to find a good one.

This is about how I pictured Ross, but clean-sha..."

Great pic. It's hard to find photos to match the mind's eye, isn't it? He's lovely though. Very! And looks very much like the cover.

message 20: by Koozebane (new)

Koozebane | 113 comments I always think a short name is good for a dog, so you don't wear yourself out yelling if you have to run after him. I'm thinking Bo or Zeb (sure, short for something like Zebediah, but no one will use the full name) right now...

message 21: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Posy wrote: "Great pic. It's hard to find photos to match the mind's eye, isn't it? He's lovely though. Very! And looks very much like the cover. "

Thanks for stopping in, Posy!

It is hard! Hard work looking at hot guy after hot guy...it's exhausting, but someone has to do it.

Paul did an amazing job on the cover, yeah? I LOVE it!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Charley wrote: "Posy wrote: "

It is hard! Hard work looking at hot guy after hot guy..."

Haha. Yes, Tumblr is such a chore to sort through. ;)

message 23: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Koozebane wrote: "I always think a short name is good for a dog, so you don't wear yourself out yelling if you have to run after him. I'm thinking Bo or Zeb (sure, short for something like Zebediah, but no one will ..."

Thanks, I love Bo! Simple but cute! Plus, I don't have a character named Bo yet so that makes things neater in my head. ;)

message 24: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Posy wrote: "Charley wrote: "Posy wrote: "

It is hard! Hard work looking at hot guy after hot guy..."

Haha. Yes, Tumblr is such a chore to sort through. ;)"

*lol* Tumblr, Pinterest, FB...just so many hot guys and so little time.

message 25: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments So here's Miles--the Japanese rope artist.

I think I looked at twice as many pix trying to find my Miles!

message 26: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Miles Shigihara is in his late 30s, his father is Japanese and his mother’s an American Heinz-57 (the Western European version). He’s 6’3” and has never been inside a gym, he works long hours at his own business creating meditation spaces. He wears his hair in along shag, mostly because he doesn’t give his appearance a lot of thought; he grows a goatee during the story. He’s a jeans and t-shirts guy during the day, hair in a simple ponytail, but has a nice black suit he wears to the club when he needs a pick-me-up. He enjoys dressing up, but doesn’t have the time to go out as much as he’d like to.

Miles is quiet, introspective, self-sufficient but not quite a loner. His best friend Louis (Parker) gives him a hard time about having “the Zen-stillness thing down” because he’s so mellow.

Daniel Henney bears the closest resemblance to the man who lived in my head, but his hair is way too short.

message 27: by Mtsnow13 (last edited Nov 24, 2013 01:56PM) (new)

Mtsnow13 | 88 comments Niiice! Now I'm trying to find a dog name for you!

message 28: by Mtsnow13 (last edited Nov 24, 2013 01:55PM) (new)

Mtsnow13 | 88 comments Charley wrote: "Since we're on the subject, here's the WIP contest:

I’m working on a novel that I hope to submit to DsP by the end of the year. I thought it might be fun to have a reader name one of the character..."

Can we suggest more than one name? He looks so happy and sincere and wanting to please....

message 29: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Mtsnow13 wrote: "Niiice! Now I'm trying find a dog name for you!"

Thanks, Mtsnow13! Nice to meet you. :)

The poor dog. His owners (MC#2 & his younger sister in my WIP) don't like the name Roscoe much!

I don't know why it's so much harder to RE-name a character than to name one in the first place, but there it is. :)

message 30: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Mtsnow13 wrote: "Can we suggest more than one name? He looks so happy and sincere and wanting to please.... "

Yes, please do! Most of my animals are female so I haven't had to think of cool names for males. I'm saving most of my favorites for characters. ;)

message 31: by Mtsnow13 (new)

Mtsnow13 | 88 comments Hmmm. What about Gunnar, Taggert, Ben?? He could be Gunny or Tag for short...

message 32: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments How about another giveaway? I want to give away a copy of Curious Sustenance, so everyone who posts a rope bondage picture will be in the running—one picture = one entry (because I want to see a lot of hot pix!). I’ll announce the winner near the end of the chat.

message 33: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Charley wrote: "Mtsnow13 wrote: "Can we suggest more than one name? He looks so happy and sincere and wanting to please.... "

Yes, please do! Most of my animals are female so I haven't had to think of cool names ..."

Dozier

That dog's name is Sam.

message 34: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Mtsnow13 wrote: "Hmmm. What about Gunnar, Taggert, Ben?? He could be Gunny or Tag for short..."

I like Tag, that's cute for a country dog! :)

Thanks, keep 'em coming. I'm hoping he'll sit up and bark when the right one comes across the screen. (Does that sound too crazy? *lol*)

message 35: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Andrea - Dozier is cool, just like the knives. :) Thanks!

message 36: by Mtsnow13 (new)

Mtsnow13 | 88 comments Ugh...I need to learn how to post images ;)

message 37: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments While you're out looking for hot bondage pix, here's another excerpt of CS.

This is the weekend after Ross and Miles first meet.

Saturday found Ross on the train bright and early. He’d been working on a new presentation meant for Human Resources departments on the benefits of adding health coverage for trans workers to their corporate policies. After Portland’s landmark decision to cover city employees, there had been a lot of talk about the idea spreading, but so far nothing had happened. All he needed were a few books with relevant statistics, and he’d feel comfortable taking the presentation to a couple of friends for a proofread and then rolling it out to the corporate suburbanites.

He found the books on the second floor, in the purple room, and then headed down to the orange section and the cookbooks. Almost everyone he’d met in Weight Watchers had gone to the Internet for their recipes, but Ross was old-fashioned in that he preferred to hold a cookbook in his hands. Cooking was such a tactile activity and, if he were to be honest, cooking healthy food wasn’t always stimulating to his senses. Janet knew her way around the kitchen, but he was still getting used to not being able to run out for Thai food or have a pizza delivered any given day of the week. If he didn’t get back into cooking soon, he’d be sure to undo everything.

The realization that he was more interested in the club he’d been to last weekend than wondering if Brad was back yet or if he’d been with anyone while he was away—because of course he had been—straightened his back and forced out what he considered his “ah-ha” sound. He moved farther down the aisle and sensed someone to his left. Instead of bumping into them, he turned to look and came face-to-face with the mysterious rope artist. Ross just stood there with his mouth open, suddenly very aware of his torso and points south that woke right up. A strange thought raced through his mind, that maybe he should act as though they’d never met, that it was somehow against the rules to say hello without permission. But the face in front of him appeared to mirror what he felt in that moment. And not only the surprise.

After a few tense moments, Ross was able to close his mouth, and his movement seemed to break the spell.

“Miles.”

Ross took the offered hand and smiled. “Ross.”

They both started to speak at once, but Ross smiled and nodded for Miles to go ahead.

He shook his head helplessly and returned the smile. “I’m looking for a birthday present for my sister. Um, have you found anything good?”

“Well, what does she like to cook?”

Miles frowned the tiniest bit, and Ross waited for aliens to land on the roof or the cacophony society to stroll through the store. Christmas had been almost four weeks earlier, but neither would be any more unexpected than finding the one person he’d been thinking about right there in front of him.

And speaking as though they were any two men. Nothing odd about meeting in the diabetic cooking section of Powell’s. Ross tried to be sly and look him over—jeans, a T-shirt, and light jacket would have to reveal more than his suit had—but soon realized he was failing miserably and stopped before he got caught. Although, getting caught might not be the worst thing. Maybe he’d have to be punished—

message 38: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Mtsnow13 wrote: "Ugh...I need to learn how to post images ;)"

Here are the instructions: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

There's a reason I have them so handy! *lol*

message 39: by Koozebane (new)

Koozebane | 113 comments Saw this one yesterday when I was browsing Arrow of Adonis (don't know if it will embed, as I'm no Goodreads posting expert):

http://dominatehim.tumblr.com/post/41...

message 40: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments The story I wrote right before CS, Directing Traffic, is about a man struggling to overcome grief so I needed to write something a little happier. Ross is the kind of guy who can't help but be happy and kind. His professional agenda came from my love of volunteering and Portland's decision to cover healthcare for trans* city employees.

Ross is a corporate sensitivity trainer so his job takes him to a lot of companies where it’s not safe to be out, or at least not practical if you want to keep your job. In Oregon it’s illegal to fire someone for being LGBT, but it’s very hard to prove. My daughter is trans*, so this is a personal issue for me. It snuck up on me while I was writing the story, though! I knew Ross was an activist, but I had no idea he was so dedicated to trans* issues. I almost took it out—don’t want things to get TOO autobiographical—but I doubt Ross would’ve been happy with that.

Do you have an agenda? I'd love to hear about it if you do! :)

message 41: by Charley (last edited Nov 24, 2013 02:27PM) (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Koozebane wrote: "Saw this one yesterday when I was browsing Arrow of Adonis (don't know if it will embed, as I'm no Goodreads posting expert)"

Darn, I couldn't get it to work either. It still counts, though!

Whoa, that's an intricate suspension! Very nice! :)

message 42: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments I hope this pic works, because it was one of my inspirations for CS. I have some books on Shibari, but there's no substitute for a picture!

message 43: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments How long have you been writing and what motivated you to submit your first work? You write so beautifully.

message 44: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Mtsnow13 - For some reason they don't always work. :(
Too bad, I could use some more hot pix to warm me up! It's cold here today.

message 46: by Mtsnow13 (new)

Mtsnow13 | 88 comments I kept botching the instructs... a bit different from a tablet than my laptop!

message 47: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Andrea wrote: "How long have you been writing and what motivated you to submit your first work? You write so beautifully."

Thanks so much! I've been writing with the goal to be published for almost 20 years. My first short story was accepted back in 1998. It was pretty mainstream, but did mention a gay couple.

The motivation to do more than play around at writing was my 29th birthday. I thought, "Wow, next year I'll be 30!" At the time that seemed old, but now looking at 50 doesn't! It's strange how our perceptions change. :)

Thanks for the question, Andrea!

message 48: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments But my motivation to submit an MM story was happiness. I wanted to write something with an HEA, and once it was written I thought, why not? :)

message 49: by Lane (new)

Lane Hayes (lanehayes) | 91 comments HI Charley-
Best wishes on your new book! I love the picture posts here too. Very pretty!

Lane

message 50: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 152 comments Mtsnow13 wrote: "http://www.sexualdarkage.com/wp-conte..."

Very pretty! :)

« previous 1