Audiobooks discussion

144 views
Archives > Audible - Small Vent

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 68 comments Ok I just spent a little time with my library at audible.com. My vent is that they really need someone to clean up things with the authors names. I wanted to view my library by author. Expected to be able to see all authors with last name starting with A first. The first books to come up were part of the J. A. Jance books. Where is the logic of this? Her other books are listed correctly by last name. Gerrrrrr!


message 2: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments Vicki wrote: "Ok I just spent a little time with my library at audible.com. My vent is that they really need someone to clean up things with the authors names. I wanted to view my library by author. Expected to ..."

Yes. There are some problems with the database, most annoying.

If you also have a Kindle (which means you have a Manage My Kindle account), you will find that there the Kindle books and the Audible books sort the authors' names differently; one is LastName FirstName, the other is FirstName LastName. Most annoying.

The search function is persnickety; often I find that it won't pull up books I know I own, it just hasn't quite recognized my input, unless it exactly matches its little memory.


message 3: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3709 comments CatBookMom wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Ok I just spent a little time with my library at audible.com. My vent is that they really need someone to clean up things with the authors names. I wanted to view my library by author..."

I had been thinking it was just me who couldn't manage a simple search of My Library. Sometimes it works like a charm, other times more like a curse.


message 4: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments Jeanie wrote: "I had been thinking it was just me who couldn't manage a simple search of My Library. Sometimes it works like a charm, other times more like a curse.
..."


Well and succinctly said.


message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (themagicmonster) | 50 comments I have some books by Robert Jordon and Sanderson finished it and it does not list under Jordon in arthor sort. Also books by Robert A. Heinlein/Robert Heinlein and Laurell K. Hamilton and Laurell Hamilton show as two seperate authors. If it would allow a sort by series it would help but no way to do that.


message 6: by Tim (new)

Tim Jin | 40 comments Here is my peeve about Audible. Whenever the publisher reissue a book, such as Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami, all of the reviews are gone from the previous release for the audiobook. I don't understand why they do this. Why don't they migrate the reviews over to the reissue?


Audible Support (audible_com) | 260 comments Tim wrote: "Here is my peeve about Audible. Whenever the publisher reissue a book, such as Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami, all of the reviews are gone from the previous release for the audiobook. ..."

Hey Tim,

Good question! We do not transfer old reviews to a re-released versions because we want the reviews to reflect the audiobook in terms of narration and performance, as well as content.

If the audiobook was re-released, there's a good chance the audio was re-produced with a better quality or a different narrator. We just want the most accurate reviews available to our customers.

We hope this helps!


message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 581 comments Audible.com wrote: "Tim wrote: "Here is my peeve about Audible. Whenever the publisher reissue a book, such as Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami, all of the reviews are gone from the previous release for the ..."

But you include reviews that are from Amazon & aren't for audiobook editions...


Audible Support (audible_com) | 260 comments Leslie wrote: "Audible.com wrote: "Tim wrote: "Here is my peeve about Audible. Whenever the publisher reissue a book, such as Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami, all of the reviews are gone from the previ..."

That's true, Leslie. Amazon reviews are included as supplementary info because, in our opinion, they reflect the content-only.

We do not transfer reviews from old to new because we want the review to reflect the version that you are interested in purchasing.

Let us know if you have any other questions!


message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim Jin | 40 comments Audible.com wrote: That's true, Leslie. Amazon reviews are included as supplementary info because, in our opinion, they reflect the content-only.

So, your members reviews doesn't count more than Amazon? Many of us here are huge Audible fans and I probably listen to about 90-100 titles an year and write most of the reviews. I think, Audible just needs to take another look on the policy because I always look for other Audible members reviews and never read Amazon's.


message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 143 comments Yes, had the same problem with Max Allen Collins. My 12 audits are sorted under 8 different author names.

Tim, no matter what they do, someone isn't happy. If I want to know about the current production, I would want reviews on the current production, not the one it replaced. Don't take it personally if they don't migrate your review.


message 12: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments I think what Tim's big beef is that the Murakami isn't really a new release. For some reason, the publisher removed all of the audiobooks and replaced them. The narrators, and I assume the recordings remained the same. Therefore, the previous reviews of these works would be relevant.

Another problem that this crops up is with is the freebies. Now, I absolutely love it when Audible decides to give its members free audiobooks for whatever reason. Over the last couple of Christmases, I've received A Christmas Carol narrated by Tim Curry, How the Grinch Stole Christmas! narrated by Walter Matthau, and a few others. I have listened to and rated these freebies on Audible. However, when I look up the book on the site, it doesn't show that I even own the book, much less rated it. I can find it by searching my library, but that's it. As far as I can tell, there isn't anything to even stop me from buying one of these books that I already own because the freebie is considered a different "edition" even though it's exactly the same production.


message 13: by Tim (new)

Tim Jin | 40 comments Sandi wrote: "I think what Tim's big beef is that the Murakami isn't really a new release. For some reason, the publisher removed all of the audiobooks and replaced them. The narrators, and I assume the record..."

Yes, you are right. Take for example A Wild Sheep Chase, it's the same production from the publisher, but the audio was release in 2006, but now it got release as 2013. It's the same book with the same reader. I don't think that the author decided to rewrite all of his titles either. In this case, Audible should migrate the reviews over.

I bought and reviewed A Feast for Crows with a different narrator other than Roy Dotrice. They redid that book with Roy Dotrice. I understand that the production is different between the two. So, I understand that they don't want to migrate the reviews over.

As for Murakami, they are not new releases. They are all the same books with the same production.


message 14: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments Tim wrote: "Audible.com wrote: That's true, Leslie. Amazon reviews are included as supplementary info because, in our opinion, they reflect the content-only.

So, your members reviews doesn't count more than A..."


You can review on Amazon as well. Just put (Audible) next to the title of your review then it will be there anyway and will catch people who are looking for Audible reviews.


back to top