Vintage Tales discussion

Book Chat! > Recent Book/ebook finds..which ones did you guys get recently?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) So what books and ebooks did you guys get recently?
I recently got Nightmare Abbey as a free epub file for my tablet recently. It was for a group read at another book club. I only get free ones anyway. Last book purchase was A Dozen Black Rosesand Defiance. I borrow books from the ebooks library online or through the library if I don't get the free ebooks for my tablet or buy any books.

message 2: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 114 comments Amber wrote: "So what books and ebooks did you guys get recently?
I recently got Nightmare Abbey as a free epub file for my tablet recently. It was for a group read at another book club. I only ge..."

Same here Amber! ;)

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Awesome! ^_^

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) cool Pam. :)

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 11 comments Amber wrote: "cool Pam. :)"

All were $1.99 at the time I bought them. I just love a deal!

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) just got Frankenstein for free on feedbooks through my tablet's ereader. Hope to start it soon.

message 8: by Werner (new)

Werner | 613 comments Mod
Like Amber, I only get e-books that are free --and then only very rarely, if I want to see if a book is worth buying in print format. (I greatly prefer the latter, and that's where I choose to put my financial support!) But I did recently get two free e-novels, both by New Pulp author Percival Constantine: The Lost Continent, which I read and liked (it got three stars from me), and Love & Bullets, which I haven't started yet. Both are available in all platforms at www.percivalconstantine.com/free/ (and are still free --I checked a moment ago).

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Hey guys you can get ebooks free from the author if you do read for review requests. I do and its fun.

message 10: by Werner (new)

Not ALL authors offer their books free in e-book format in exchange for reviews. For instance, if they're published by a press, large or small, the publisher is the one who decides whether or not to offer free e-copies --and many of the small presses won't. And self-published authors, who control their own distribution, may prefer not to give anything away for free. But Amber is correct that a lot of them will, and some even solicit requests from reviewers.

message 11: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) I just got a Kindle e-book On Thin Ice: short stories of life and dating after 50 with a gift certificate from the author, which is a read-for-review request. Actually this is my first experience with reading e-books on my laptop (I have the Kindle App for PC installed). I still prefer physical books :)

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I got The Finisher and The Infects today at barnes and noble with my gift cards and they look to be pretty good reads. will start them soon.

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I also got the book The Unfairest of Them All and some others. I found a lot of good reads on wattpad too.

message 14: by Werner (new)

For me personally, Constantine's Love and Bullets (mentioned in message 8 above) proved to be a disappointment, because of what I considered implausible plotting and lack of character consistency. I won't be buying the paperback copy; but I will buy the paperback edition (if it's ever back in print!) of another recently-read Kindle freebie, Real Dangerous Girl, the first novel of K. W. Jeter's Kim Oh series, which got five stars from me. (The free giveaway doesn't seem to be time limited.)

All the titles I've mentioned are contemporary pulp action-adventure novels, not the type of reading usually associated with classics fans. Interestingly, though, pulp fiction lends itself (if the writer is serious about going deeper than surface excitement, which Jeter is) to explorations of ideas of good and evil, right and wrong, life and death, who we are and who we ought to be --much the same sort of themes the greatest classics wrestle with.

message 15: by Werner (new)

As an update to message 14, Real Dangerous Girl is no longer free on Kindle. The author has raised the price to 99 cents.

message 16: by Werner (new)

This morning, I snagged a free copy of Dakiti, by E. J. Fisch. It's only offered for free today (I'm guessing before midnight), however, so anyone else who wants a copy will need to act quickly!