Reading the Chunksters discussion

Under the Dome
This topic is about Under the Dome
Archived 2014 Group Reads > 11/18: Week 6 - Nyuck-Nyuck-Nyuck

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Post your thoughts please.

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Like father, like son. Who is more disgusting in this duet of the murderers? The necrophiliac or the drug baron? The novel is getting very very dark, and not a single ray of hope ...

Linda | 1378 comments Exactly what I was thinking - these two men are completely disgusting. Ugh.

Deana (ablotial) Is this as bad as it gets now? Sadly, something tells me it's not. Jim and Junior are truly awful... Junior isn't the least bit surprised to find his father murdering the minister and doesn't ask any questions, just gets to work. That says a lot. And of course, they plan to pin it on Barbie...

Nor surprised at all to learn about the meth operation. We knew something was going on but i had just suspected that he was stealing from the town coffers. I was surprised that he let Barbie assert some authority so easily, at least until the missile launch (which i foresee not working and having disastrous effects outside the dime...)

Silver Deana wrote: "I was surprised that he let Barbie assert some authority so easily, at least until the missile launch (which i foresee not working and having disastrous effects outside the dime...)
"

I think the reason why he did allow Barbie to assert his authority is because he knows if the missile strike does not work (and probably suspects it won't) then Babrie will be pretty much screwed and at the mercy of Big Jim, though the Barbie camp might prove to present some difficulties for Big Jim, he has all the power right now with the police force under his control (and all the weapons at his disposable)

Though as things progress things could come to an all out mutiny. As people more and more stop counting on the Dome going away and normal life restoring itself they may start to grow increasingly tired of Big Jim's dictatorship and left to fend for themselves with no hope of the outside world intervening might decide to take matters into their own hands.