What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Girl, door in the garden, another dimension [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rezikiel (last edited Nov 20, 2013 11:17AM) (new)

Rezikiel | 15 comments Children's or young adult book that I read in the 1970s. A girl goes through a door (in the garden/backyard? leaning against a tree?) and finds an eerie world on the other side. Maybe there's a girl there... At first she likes it but then she is trapped. In the end she finds the way home. I think the title was very simple (like, "The Door"), but I can't find it.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments Was this book more of a fantasy, horror story, adventure, etc?

message 3: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2332 comments Any of these results?
Search results for 'ti:door' > '1960..1979' > 'Book' > 'Fiction' > 'English' > 'Juvenile'

message 4: by bookel (last edited Nov 20, 2013 09:15PM) (new)

bookel | 2332 comments One of the results:

The Door - Jacklyn O'Hanlon, Redmond O'Hanlon
An eleven-year-old girl passes through the mysterious door of the Master Gatherer and finds herself in the center of a struggle between Good and Evil.

Nice cover!

message 5: by Rezikiel (new)

Rezikiel | 15 comments bookel wrote: "One of the results:

The Door - Jacklyn O'Hanlon, Redmond O'Hanlon
An eleven-year-old girl passes through the mysterious door of the Master Gatherer and finds herself in the center of a struggle b..."

I just (very late!) saw this result. Thank you; this might actually be the book. Do you know the book? I can't find anything about it other than the clip you sent.

message 6: by bookel (last edited Apr 28, 2014 10:28PM) (new)

bookel | 2332 comments abe.com has the cheapest copies according to bookfinder.com

On Google books you'll find a search inside feature
for this book. Search a keyword and a snippet result might help. Two examples below.
---
Down the slope of their lawn, just beyond two large garden rocks, stood a door. A door, standing by itself, within a door frame. That was all. "Shall we look at your present together?" She went with him slowly, reluctantly. Andrew danced behind ...
Page 53
They helped Rachel into her parents' bedroom and stood on either side of her as she looked out of the window down at the garden. There were the shrubs and trees, the barranca, and the two big rocks standing on the empty lawn.

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments Link to The Door by Jacklyn O'Hanlon.

Sounds interesting! I want to read it now :]

message 8: by bookel (last edited Apr 28, 2014 10:26PM) (new)

bookel | 2332 comments The Door
Jacklyn O'Hanlon, Redmond O'Hanlon
Dial Press, 1978 - Juvenile Fiction - 84 pages
An eleven-year-old girl passes through the mysterious door of the Master Gatherer and finds herself in the center of a struggle between Good and Evil.
From inside the book

More quotes from a search for references to the tree and door.

Results 1-3 of 8
Page 19
large fig tree, partially fallen but still alive, was her bridge for crossing the barranca to the Field, the neighborhood name for the empty overgrown two-acre lot next to her house. The Field was alive with the screeching of jays and magpies and ...
Page 37
Soon the path widened, and ahead, swaying in an almost imperceptible breeze, was a grove of white-trunked trees with pale-green leaves fluttering from the branches. She was grateful for the breeze because she felt flushed, almost feverish.
Page 69
Turning around, she studied the small dark space of unnatural blackness she had just crawled through — the door. To the right was a boulder. To the left of the door was a massive tree. I'll have to mark it somehow so I'll know it's the right place ...
---
O'Hanlon, Jacklyn. The Door. Dial, 1978. 77-86269. 84p. Trade ed. $6.95; Library ed. $6.46 net. Everybody in the neighborhood liked the peddler, Mr. Pelf, except Rachel; there was something about him that frightened her, a cold malevolence. She was even more afraid when he gave her a door. And when she walked through it, Rachel found she was in a land of captured children, hollow and beckoning, who tried to catch her. She escaped, nobody believed her story, and-although terrified-she went back through the door to rescue her friend Ralph.
From The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books review minus ending.

All those things were found on Google books (there's a More button on Google) and searching review quotes on Google itself. When searching Google books for reviews all you need is title and author. Sometimes books have snippet view which means you can search inside by keyword and see a section of text that may help you remember, especially using keywords you recall.

I hope that's enough to trigger your memory. It's reasonably priced on abe.com if you aren't able to find a public library copy to borrow. I never heard or read it before finding out about it; glad you came back. Let us know whether it's the book for sure so it can be marked solved.

message 9: by Rezikiel (new)

Rezikiel | 15 comments That's it! Thank you so much!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Door (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jacklyn O'Hanlon (other topics)