Dresden Files discussion

Harry's parasite

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marco (new)

Marco Munoz | 69 comments I've really been wondering about this parasite thing, so since it will be (supposedly) prominent in the upcoming book, I thought we could sit down and have a little chat about it.

As I get it, the parasite is directly related to Harry's headaches, so I hypothesised that Harry should have "caught" around the same time his headaches began. From this starting, point I went backwards on the series looking for the moment when the headaches started. A word search (thank you eBooks) showed me that there is little mention of headaches at all until Dead Beat, but from Proven Guilty and forward (except for some strange reason on Small Favor) the headache issue is constant. So I believe that the parasite came from something that happened on Dead Beat.

Focusing on the events of Dead Beat, there are three events that seem to "fit the bill".

One: Lasciel. On Dead Beat was the first time that Harry became aware of her presence. But since she has been inside Harry since Death Masks, I ruled it out.

Two: Corpsetaker. A clear choice since mind magic is his/her specialty, and she even invade Harry's mind at some point. But since he/she was killed and her "comeback" already happened, I don't think it has something to do with it.

Three: Quintus Cassius death curse. Harry mentions that he felt as something hit him, but after that there has never been any repercussion for him on the series.

Thus my theory is: could it be that the parasite was "implanted" in Harry by Cassius death curse?

What do you think of this? Do you have any other theories?

message 2: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Bell | 3 comments Impressive research. Wonder if it crossed over to Harry from Cassius at the point of death. As I write this I am starting to wonder if the curse was directed at the parasite and not at Harry. hmmm

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Griffith | 97 comments I have no idea what it is, but I now have a new reason to reread Dead Beat :-).

message 4: by Ankush (new)

Ankush | 38 comments Isn't Quintus Cassius' death curse for Harry to die alone, which is what happened when he got shot into the lake without ever hooking up with Murphy?

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike Griffith | 97 comments Well with the parasite he's never really alone is he? Rofl, I wonder if the death curse helped to keep him alive.

Was rereading Dead Beat and noticed something. Near the beginning of the book evil Bob does something to Harry, I wonder if that has anything to do with the parasite?

message 6: by Stutley (new)

Stutley Constable (stutleyconstable) | 149 comments I had this idea last week and wondered if it had occurred to anyone else. Could the parasite be Harry's subconscious?

We know Lash was talking to him when Harry was asleep. We know Subconscious Harry is more visceral and primal than Harry is. He doesn't think with his brain so much as his instincts. Maybe he got angry when Harry rejected Lash. Maybe when Lash took the hit that was going to kill Harry, Subconscious Harry decided enough was enough and he set out to get revenge. According to Greek Myth supernatural beings can spring forth fully formed from another supernatural being's head. If you're a god apparently you can shrug it off and get back to messing with the lives of humans, but a wizard wouldn't be so lucky.

My money is still on the parasite being Lash, however. Butcher said in an interview that in 'Ghost Story' Lash makes an appearance, though he did not make her return obvious.

message 7: by Ben (last edited Nov 28, 2013 01:25PM) (new)

Ben Sudbury | 14 comments I think that the origin of the parasite has yet to be revealed. I have had a couple of theories about it though.
1. I think Cowl could be something to do with it. As you mention Harry's headaches start in dead beat and i think its obvious that Cowl is part of the Adversary so it might be a part of some greater scheme yet to come.
2. It could be lash, although if it is i don't think it will be the lash we know after all why would lash be planning to burst out of Harry's head and kill all his friends and family?
I like the idea of the parasite being Harry's subconscious, although i don't think it is. Harry's subconscious is still harry and i don't think harry's opinion changes on his loved ones.
I think it's clear that the parasite has been feeding on Harry's soul as the series has progressed.

message 8: by Fei (new)

Fei | 5 comments it just come to me when i read the Dead Beat again.could the parasite come for the Kiss of the evil BOB??? .Evil BOB seems smart enough to utilize that opportunity to do much more damage than just give Harry a cold. it seems fit.

message 9: by Adam (new)

Adam Wright | 26 comments as far as the parasite goes, i think it might be the third outsider, he who walks within possibly, it is obviously not nemesis. if butcher is having old gods and such adapted into fey and hints that the mothers are one being in their most powerful name they may be mimir the oracle of yggdrasil, odin being kringle (the winter king) means that he is on par with them individually but mimir is technically his superior, just a thought, especially since both mothers have intelectus and mimir knew all which is why odin sacraficed an eye and hung himself from the tree as well as removing her head... being immortal, that turns her into 2 seperate beings that have a deep connection... interesting little ideas. i think that mab would have still helped harry even if the parasite was an outsider due to his ability to overcome things, it also makes sence with demonreach and harry's/margeret's curse from the outsiders, if he has an outsider in his head, it is imprisoned untill he can imprison it in demon reach, lots of speculation but its fun goodnight guys' i welcome feedback

message 10: by Stutley (new)

Stutley Constable (stutleyconstable) | 149 comments Spoiler alert!

Read no further if you do not want to know more about the next book than you currently do.

On Youtube there are two videos uploaded by 'anteru'. They are titled 'Jim Butcher Skin Game Reading Miscon' and 'Jim Butcher Skin Game Reading Miscon part 2'. The very end of the first part reveals something of the Parasite.

Mab: "The Parasite, when it kills you and emerges, it will seek out everyone you know, everyone you love, and it will utterly destroy them. Starting with one child in particular."

To me, this seems a little ambiguous. Heretofore, I had been thinking that the Parasite would be willfully killing off Harry's friends and family. Now, though, I see the possibility that the Parasite might be destroying them simply by interacting with them in good faith. We have seen characters make serious mistakes and cause huge amounts of harm, even through the best of intentions. Molly trying to get her friends off drugs is a prime example. Karrin arresting Harry when the enchanted scorpion attacked them in his office is another good example.

I no longer believe the Parasite is Harry's subconscious. In the second video Mab assures Harry that if he does as he is instructed the Parasite will be removed safely. Removing Harry's subconscious would be like cutting Harry in half. He would no longer be Harry Dresden. He would be half of Harry Dresden and far from a useful Winter Knight. It must be some other entity.

Lash is still my top candidate.

message 11: by Adam (new)

Adam Wright | 26 comments Fei wrote: "it just come to me when i read the Dead Beat again.could the parasite come for the Kiss of the evil BOB??? .Evil BOB seems smart enough to utilize that opportunity to do much more damage than just ..."

evil bob was trying to either kill harry or get him to taste the magics of death (the oposite side of the spectrum from what he normally uses) but you may have a point that it may have had something to do with it, butcher hardly seems to leave coincidences in his books

message 12: by Ankush (new)

Ankush | 38 comments I don't really agree with the parasite being Dresden's subconscious. It would literally have to take form and burst forth from his skull without any real assistance from any other being. Even with soul fire I doubt that it would be able to cross the water as it's survival would largely depend on magic,plus it sounds just a little bit too far fetched for anyone to be really satisfied with that conclusion.

I also don't think that it's going to be one of the Islands detainees. Demon Reach is an Geni Intellectus but it does have some base line rules. Such as being unable to accept the fact that the Jail could be destroyed (Cold Days). The reason it needs a Warden in the first place is to regulate what monsters would even be allowed to leave in the first place. Because of this I doubt that Demon Reach could free one of the prisoners in order to implant it into Harry's skull with out Harry's acquiescence in the first place. Instead it could be something introduced by Mab or even an outsider, although this is quite unlikely.

message 13: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Darkcain11 | 324 comments Mod
lash is top candidate for being the parasite. I'd love for her to come back. She helped rehab his hand. Most likely she could help his back too. Only real option to lose winter mantle further down the road.

message 14: by Damian (new)

Damian (denis517) | 109 comments Maybe it is one of the Walkers. Remember that in one of the books Harry says that He who walks behind left a "mark" on him. Maybe the mark is taking shape?

message 15: by Stutley (new)

Stutley Constable (stutleyconstable) | 149 comments I don't think it will turn out to be a Walker or anything quite that powerful. Remember, Demonreach told Harry to ask Molly for help. That was before she became the Winter Lady. Molly had improved a lot but not enough to take on a Walker.

One other point that makes me think the Parasite is Lash: It works for the plot of the book. What better story could Butcher write in which to have Lash reappear?

message 16: by Darkcain11, Merlin (last edited Dec 27, 2013 10:23PM) (new)

Lash makes so much sense. Is harry going to steal bob every book? He needs some one to bounce ideas off of. Lash was good at that in dead beat and white night.

message 17: by Stutley (new)

Stutley Constable (stutleyconstable) | 149 comments Darkcain11 wrote: "Lash makes so much sense is harry going to steal bob every book. He needs some one to bounce ideas off of Lash was good at that in dead beat and white night."

That's a really good point. I hadn't considered that aspect of things before. Harry might even be put into a position where he's forced to have Deamonreach imprison her. Ironic, because he was the one who effectively freed her in the first place.

message 18: by Darkcain11, Merlin (last edited Dec 27, 2013 10:24PM) (new)

screw the church holding the coins toss em in with the skinwalkers.

message 19: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Crouch | 1 comments As I was re-reading Storm Front today, I took particular interest in the fact that Harry's Dad died from a brain aneurism. Not really helpful in identifying the parasite, but I found it an interesting thought that perhaps his Father was also killed by a parasite in his head.

message 20: by Ankush (new)

Ankush | 38 comments Matthew wrote: "As I was re-reading Storm Front today, I took particular interest in the fact that Harry's Dad died from a brain aneurism. Not really helpful in identifying the parasite, but I found it an interest..."

I really don't think so, his dad just seemed the run of the mill type normal schmuck. Butcher never claimed there was anything especially different about him except that he was a magician and married a wizard.

message 21: by Marco (new)

Marco Munoz | 69 comments It's true that Butcher never hinted at anything "magicky" about Harry's dad, but it is mentioned in one of the books that his death was not natural. So the theory of another parasite makes a lot of sense to me.

message 22: by Ankush (new)

Ankush | 38 comments Marco wrote: "It's true that Butcher never hinted at anything "magicky" about Harry's dad, but it is mentioned in one of the books that his death was not natural. So the theory of another parasite makes a lot of..."

My mind just got blown. Dammit Butcher stop messing with me.

message 23: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 100 comments Marco wrote: "It's true that Butcher never hinted at anything "magicky" about Harry's dad, but it is mentioned in one of the books that his death was not natural. So the theory of another parasite makes a lot of..."

Remember when harry talked to his dad in a dream? and then to himself... I think his dad may have something to do with it.

message 24: by Monica, White Council (new)

Monica T. Rodriguez (monicatrodriguez) | 374 comments Mod
I thought I'd remembered hints that Harry's dad's death didn't happen as he thought it did. Perhaps the hint was merely as you said, that it wasn't natural. Makes a good case for a possibility.

I hadn't remembered the kiss of Evil Bob (I'm rereading - just started Summer Knight). I will pay more attention when I get to Dead Beat. I can't help thinking of all the times Lea has passed on a spell with a kiss...

But I have to agree it seems Lasciel is the best candidate. And the most interesting prospect. But there are many others! Plenty of time for theorizing.

And, Darkcain, I'm thrilled with your comment about Lash healing Harry's hand. This totally opens up the possibility of her healing his back. That was a real obstacle in him ever ridding himself of the mantle!

message 25: by Bear (new)

Bear IV (beariv) | 156 comments First i lean toward DuMorne=Cowl. That being said i had a crazy idea that the Parasite could actually be DuMorne.
What if he accessed the process that Etienne the Enchanter used and projected himself into Dresden.

Another thought is that the parasite has somthing to do with, "the circumstances surrounding your birth..." and ability to fight effectively against outsiders.

message 26: by E. (new)

E. Sánchez | 4 comments Marco wrote: "I've really been wondering about this parasite thing, so since it will be (supposedly) prominent in the upcoming book, I thought we could sit down and have a little chat about it.

As I get it, the..."

If the parasite is related to Harry's headaches, than the very first time Harry was mentioned to have a really bad headache was when he battled He Who Walks Behind as a 16-year-old boy in Ghost Story.

message 27: by Bear (new)

Bear IV (beariv) | 156 comments I need help with something. I want to revisit an earlier book where Dresden was either talking to his Subconscious or his Dad. They told him, by doing what he did, he had "opened himself" to all kinds of things. I can't remember which book. Was it what he did vs the Nightmare?
Does anyone remember this?

message 28: by Damian (new)

Damian (denis517) | 109 comments Yes. I think it was Grave Peril.