The Sword and Laser discussion

American Gods (American Gods, #1)
This topic is about American Gods
TV, Movies and Games > Amercian Gods TV show still in the works, just not with HBO

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Neil Gaimans response to a question about where the tv series is in developement ..

“There is an American Gods TV series in the works. It’s no longer with HBO. The moment that things are ready to be announced I am sure they will be, either legitimately or via a leak in a big Hollywood Agency mailroom.”

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2013/11/20...

Can't wait! Hope they tell us something soon.

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments ...That's troubling. The only other cable network producing quality content on a similar level to HBO is AMC, and they're much less willing to be edgy, and treat their creative folks terribly. They're executives seem barely better than broadcast networks'.

Honestly the only thing that could remove my trepidation is if this went to Netflix.

Nixi (competine) | 28 comments It's horrible how this whole story with AG series goes on and off for years. And I can't wait for it because it's one of my favourite books. I really hope we will found out more soon, and I hope this won't be a thing that we would wait for forever, and then not happen.

Darren Rob wrote: "Honestly the only thing that could remove my trepidation is if this went to Netflix. "

It would be awesome if Netflix put it out.

Erik Redin (erik_redin) | 149 comments Hmm... what about BBC America? I don't know if they could afford something the scale of AMERICAN GODS, but ORPHAN BLACK has been wonderful and given some of the crazy stuff that was in the first season of that show, I have to imagine there's very little network interference. AG would certainly pair well with its other sci-fi and fantasy shows.

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments I don't think they'd be willing to show mature content.

message 7: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken (kanthr) | 334 comments American Gods deserves HBO/Showtime. If they can't do it and AMC isn't doing it, it shouldn't be done. It needs a big enough budget and proper artistic oversight. And yes, it needs to not be censored.

This could go so well juxtaposed with Game of Thrones. You've got your medieval story with modern-ish characters, and you've got your modern story with ancient characters.

Darren Kenneth obviously hasn't seen House of Cards.

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1541 comments This really is a great story, and I very much enjoyed it, but I always pictured this as a lower budget TV series. Similar to like a 90's genre TV.

The fact being that there really doesn't need to be many special effects for 90% of this, and most of what they would need could even be practical effects with good costuming. Now the story and the character development are the more important part of this production, and for that you need a kick butt director, writing staff and actors. And with Neal's contacts and screen writing skills, he could probably get this made on a more reasonable budget, if he wanted to.

My thoughts anyway.

message 10: by Rob Secundus (new) - added it

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Yeah, thinking about it a lower budget would be fine (as long as they went with practical effects rather than cgi). Most of the novel is, after all, hanging out with dudes that just happen to be gods

Hudson (bostonrich) | 20 comments Darren wrote: "Rob wrote: "Honestly the only thing that could remove my trepidation is if this went to Netflix. "

It would be awesome if Netflix put it out."

This.

message 12: by Rynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rynn (rynn1010) | 28 comments So down, also, how do I work on THIS series and The Sandman movie.

message 13: by Rob Secundus (new) - added it

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Very carefully, I'd imagine

message 14: by Rynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rynn (rynn1010) | 28 comments Hahaha I'll start writing letters to him now.

Michele | 1154 comments Starz just announced they picked up American Gods. Read about it pretty much everywhere, io9, Hollywood Reporter, etc. Sounds good.

message 16: by Erik (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erik Redin (erik_redin) | 149 comments Bryan Fuller (Hannibal, Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls) is going to be one of the showrunners. That is the bit that makes me really excited for this.

message 17: by Keidy (last edited Jul 01, 2014 11:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keidy | 525 comments I can finally say that I read the book before watching the movie/TV show. It's usually the other way around. Woot! XD

And I LOVE Bryan Fuller. I ADORED Pushing Daises and Wonderfalls. I wish those two series didn't get cancelled so early. Such good shows.

Rasnac | 336 comments Bryan Fuller as the showrunner is a great news!

While I was reading the novel, I somehow imagined Vin Diesel as "Shadow" and Anthony Hopkins as Mr. Wednesday. I know Diesel is not a great thespian but he is a decent actor and he might be the best fit for the way Shadow is portrayed in the novel.

message 19: by Darren (last edited Jul 05, 2014 06:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Darren Morgannah, I think after Conan (which I have seen and tried my best to like) Momoa would not be picked. I find Starz such a weird choice, though... I mean, I don't remember any nudity at all in American Gods, except as an aside, with Eastre. So who knows?

Michal (michaltheassistantpigkeeper) | 294 comments ^But but Momoa was the *only* good thing about Conan the Barbarian (2011).

message 21: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Darren wrote: "I mean, I don't remember any nudity at all in A..."

Well there was Shadow's encounter with Lady Bast and that weird goddess (the wiki says she is Queen of Sheba) that was eating men with her vagina. Old myth is full of stuff not suitable for children. It always seems weird to me that there are stories from the bible made for tv and movies that have a rating that allows children to watch even though there is violence and sex through out the story. Moses .. ahem .. genital mutilation anyone? I guess its not fair to pick on the bible though since Disney has sanitized the Greek myths also.