Children's Books discussion

Shen of the Sea: Chinese Stories for Children
This topic is about Shen of the Sea
Newbery Archive > Winner & Honor from 1926

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 6245 comments Mod
Did you read them? Do you remember any of the ideas discussed in the group when we read them together? Did you write any reviews that you would be willing to copy to this thread?

This thread will not close - feel free to add thoughts, questions, etc. now or in the future.

message 3: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments I don't remember either of these books.

Jenn Saam | 5 comments I have read Shen of the Sea. I loved it! They were really good stories.

message 5: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

Thanks Jenn - good to know, I'll add it to my to-read list. :)

message 6: by Manybooks (last edited Nov 22, 2013 04:05AM) (new)

Manybooks | 7201 comments Mod
Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Thanks Jenn - good to know, I'll add it to my to-read list. :)"

I recently purchased Shen of the Sea quite cheaply at a second hand bookstore (a relatively recent paperback version, not an older hardback), so this book actually still seems to be readily available and not even that expensive to purchase second hand. Have not read the book though, but was/am planning to do that.

message 7: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

I see it's gotten some unfavorable reviews, too. So now, because I have that kind of a contrary nature, I'm even more motivated to read it!

message 8: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

Ok, I've now read Shen of The Sea: Chinese Stories for Children. And I enjoyed it quite a lot. The notes say the author had some familiarity with Chinese culture, so I hope it is reasonably respectful. It seems playful, and the particular stories seem invented by the author, but the underlying cultural traditions and moral lessons seem to reflect traditional values, as I've seen them espoused in other books that have been written by Chinese persons.

I just don't know what to think of it as a work of 'historical fiction' or 'folklore.' But as a collection of cute & clever stories, it worked.