Children's Books discussion

The Dark Frigate
This topic is about The Dark Frigate
Newbery Archive > Winner (no Honors) from 1924 - The Dark Frigate

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 6162 comments Mod
The Dark Frigate, by Charles Boardman Hawes, won the Newbery this year. No Honor books were recorded.

message 2: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (last edited Nov 20, 2013 10:22AM) (new)

Did you read this? Do you remember any of the ideas discussed in the group when we read it together? Did you write any reviews that you would be willing to copy to this thread?

This thread will not close - feel free to add thoughts, questions, etc. now or in the future.

message 3: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

I did not read it. I've never been a fan of adventure stories, and could not readily find a copy, so I decided not to work hard to participate. I'm beginning to regret my decision, though, as I do read some other older books and realize that some are surprisingly engaging.

message 4: by Tricia (last edited Nov 25, 2013 05:10PM) (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments I haven't read this book either.

message 5: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2242 comments Mod
I read this book so many years ago, that I cannot remember anything about it. I probably read it back in the late 70s or early 80s.

message 6: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Hm. Do you recall if you read it for a class or project? It seems odd that, even back then, a reader would just happen to pick it up. I'm just curious.

message 7: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2242 comments Mod
Neither. I am a children's librarian, and I was reading through the Newbery award books. I have not read EVERY award book, but I have read most of them.